Next Thread
Print Thread
#412684 04/29/08 03:43 AM
G
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
G

'Because' is an incredibly revealing word as far as religions or personal belief systems go.

I love it because...
I did it because...
I hate it because...
I got angry because...
I believe it because...
God killed them because...

I've been reading some Daniel Gilbert articles where he discusses the power in the word 'because'. I thought this was an interesting experiment he mentioned.
"For instance, when experimenters approached people who were standing in line at a photocopy machine and said, "Can I get ahead of you?" the typical answer was no. But when they added to the end of this request the words "because I need to make some copies," the typical answer was yes. The second request used the word "because" and hence sounded like an explanation, and the fact that this explanation told them nothing that they didn't already know was oddly irrelevant. there are at least two problems with this explanation.

Explanations that rely on the inexplicable are not explanations at all. They have the form of explanations, but they do not have the content. Yet, psychology experiments reveal that people are often satisfied by empty form."

So basically, just by using the magic word - 'BECAUSE' - you can drastically increase your chances of getting what you want.

It made me wonder what would happen if religious books didn't have all their 'becauses'. Would they do so well?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Cool -- what a clever trick! Like those people waiting in line didn't need to make copies...

Hm... Future scene at a theme park, "Can I get ahead of you, because I need to get on this ride."

Ms A #412861 04/29/08 04:24 PM
I'm not sure I understand about not using the word 'because'

Don't we have a reason for everything we do? Why not state the reason?

JoFrancis #412913 04/29/08 07:54 PM
G
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
G
The experiment concluded there was a general lack of critical thinking. Most people took the 'because' to be meaningful 'because', as reflective beings, we're conditioned to accept the meaningfulness of the word 'because' from a young age. 'Because' was the magic word which enabled the experimenters to go ahead of (I'm assuming)reasonably intelligent people in the line-up.

I'm still curious about what the result would be if we removed from religious books all the non-sensical 'becauses' which are mostly contradictions, justifications and excuses packaged as unquestionable holy truths, facts and acts.

Last edited by Gaye Atheist/Agnostic; 04/29/08 07:57 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.