Next Thread
Print Thread
#412517 04/28/08 08:03 PM
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Has anyone found any really interesting, exotic houseplants lately? I just recently found a gorgeous plant, Philodendron "Pink Princess". It has slightly different shape to it than a typical philodendron and it has (almost) black and hot pink variegated leaves! Supposedly, they are rare. I've never seen one before, that's for sure!

Also, what is the most exotic houseplant you have ever grown? I am going to buy one of these plants, and I think that would be my most exotic. lol! laugh

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
I'm beginning to think I need to write some reviews on exotic plants! I'm surprised that not one person has thought of an interesting and unique houseplant...that they wanted to tell me about, anyway. grin

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Fine then, I will!

Many many moons ago, (must have been something like 10-12 years ago) I bought my mom some plumeria cuttings at the NC Fair. We had gone to Hawai'i a few times when I was a teenager, and I remembered my mom loving the way the plumeria leis smelled.

After nothing but growing for a number of years, the plumeria trees are about 5 ft tall, and flower every year. I'm sure there's something we could be doing better, but hey, we haven't managed to kill them yet. They move inside and outside with the seasons, and they seem to enjoy the Southern humidity.

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
Hey, that's a good one! I never hear about anyone growing these....except in Hawaii, of course. I've seen the cuttings for sale online and thought about trying some. I don't think they'd like it here in Michigan very much. The summers would be great, but winters are so dry here. smirk

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
C
C
For the past year I've been growing a nice bromeliad that I picked up on sale ($1!) because it had finished blooming. Broms are neat plants that frequently grow in trees in their native habitat, which is hot and humid jungles. They can be grown on a slab of bark anging on hte wall and watered thru' daily misting of water with a weak fertilizer in it.

I knew it would die back after blooming, but there was a small offset growing from the base. I figured for a dollar and a year or two of watering and feeding, I would have the 'pup' bloom. The mother plant is still with me, and pup is now 75% full-sized...plus a second pup has started. Basically they look like a green spiderplant with extra wide leaves right now.

I recently picked up cuttings of other epiphytes (plants that grow on trees but are not parasites)....RicRac cactus and Dragonfruit cactus and orchid cactus. As with my brom, I'll still grow them in soil and water every couple of weeks, because the humidity here (even with daily misting) isn't nearly high enough for them.

Plus I just got a rabbit foot fern. It often grows as an epiphyte, or even as a lithophyte (a plant that grows on a rock). It has fuzzy rhisomes that creep along the ground sending out a few roots from which shiny green fronds grow. These eventually will grow over the edge of the pot and completely engulf it in the fuzzy rhizomes. Some folks grow them on the outside of a pot by turning a clay pot upside down and settling the plant on top, watering by setting the pot in a saucer of water till it soaks up the water.

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
CountryKitty, you're my kind of plant enthusiast! Bravery can often bring some interesting specimens into your home. My husband really wants a bromeliad, but we haven't picked one up, yet. Maybe I should find one!

Lisa Beth Voldeck
Houseplants
C
C
Thanks. wink Usually I hold back, but when it comes to a bargain I DO tend to plunge right in. And I rarely have regrets.

Walmart is carrying bromeliads right now--in fact, the one up the road has discounted the smaller ones whose blooms are fading. The larger ones are a species called Guzmania, same as mine. The smaller ones are half as big and are (I think) vriesias. Lowe's carries them too, tho' WM has them a bit cheaper right now.

Moderated by  Sue - Houseplants 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.