logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Tiger
Tiger
The TV is next on the list after the laptop. smile It's starting to go dark so it's definitely time for an upgrade. Any tips for tv shopping? i.e. what's important and what not

Sponsored Post Advertisement
M o e #377818 02/20/08 03:43 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
My boyfriend did all the comparisons; he went with a LCD over a plasma. He said

"I avoided Sharp when I saw that there were always multiple open-box Sharps in the BestBuy and CircuitCity stores from returns. That seems a fair way to know what people are not liking once they get them home."

We have a Samsung.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
I'm very glad that we waited to purchase a player! We were going to go with HD - mostly due to the release of Star Trek in HD - but it looks like we made the right choice in waiting. Like I said above, there is the whole other choice of upgrading your computer to play both - which may be cheaper to do than getting a duel DVD player if you can install it yourself - I imagine that HD DVD's are going to be VERY cheap! It may be better now to have some sort of duel player to take advantage of the cheap DVD's!

Here is a link to a little program you can use to see if your computer is ready for HD or Blue Ray.
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Kirsten Olsen-Keyser
SF/Fantasy Movies
Parakeet
Parakeet
DW and I hedged our bets by buying a Toshiba HDDVD player and a Panasonic Blu-ray player within the past 3 months. We did not know who was going to win, but we were ready for the winner, no matter what. We were shocked when it literally fell over like a house of cards, this quickly. Shocked, but in a good way so we can go on with one standard.

We know what it is like because we were around when DVD vs Divx hit about 10 years ago at the beginning of DVD. Now THAT was a battle...

The advantage of having both is that we don't have to wait for the STTOS episodes to be remastered for Blu-ray, etc. Plus, some discs that were mastered for HDDVD need to be re-mastered for Blu, thusly incurring more delays with movies you may want sooner. So I guess it all depends on whether you want to wait for those movies on HD to be redone on Blu, for those movies that are currently out.

BTW, the Season 2 of ST:TOS was canceled because Toshiba was sponsoring the conversion, BTW. Sucks, but what can you do?

K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
Thanks for the update on the ST:TOS Duane and here are a couple article that confirms that bad news. I'm sure that Blue Ray will pick this up once Paramount commits to the format.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Kirsten Olsen-Keyser
SF/Fantasy Movies
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I imagine they'll definitely retool them quickly, they want to get that income stream started as soon as possible smile

It is pretty impressive how quickly the HD-DVD fall came after the first domino began to topple ...

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Has anybody heard anything about how many and which companies have already agreed to make just blue ray? A few months back, I had heard that there were only a few, but now I have heard that ALL the companies had agreed. I haven't read anything about it. I would think that there are many people who don't want to pay the extra $10 or $15 to have blue ray.

Trish

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Trish -

I think pretty much everyone is BluRay at this point. I never got a sense that there was a $15 price difference between the two when they were both out? They were both side by side on the shelves and had the same price tag. Are you talking about real store prices, or about potential prices based on technologies?

We had several threads here talking about the BluRay / HD-DVD wars and the news announcements as BluRay was dying.

Here's one of the articles -

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Thanks, Lisa, for the links and the update. It's good to see that the decision has pretty much been made. We like to play our PS3 and sometimes watch blu-ray videos, so it looks like we are part of the 3/4 blu-ray population.

The $10-$15 difference I was talking about was between blu-ray and regular videos. When we got the HD TV and PS3 for Christmas, I wanted to get my family a blu-ray video. The Spiderman movie had just been released and was showing on all the new HD TVs. I found a Spidermand video for about $16. I was happy until I talked to a salesman about what clarity we were going to see, just like in the store. He told me that was because they were playing "blu-ray" Spiderman. I was shocked that the price was going to be $29. That was what I was talking about people not wanting to pay the difference all the time.

There will be many movies that we will buy that won't be blu-ray because we won't care about the sharpness as much as the price. Luckily we will still have the choice of regular or HD. wink

Trish

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Oh I see! Well when DVDs came out they cost more than VHS so to me it's natural that high definition DVDs are going to cost more than normal resolution DVDs. You figure video games cost $60 so a BlueRay DVD is still a bargain in comparison smile

We have really stopped buying DVDs at this point. We have too many, don't watch them anyway, and just NetFlix things we want. That way we see them and send them back. With NetFlix you can get anything you want in 2 days, and many things you can download immediately. So our list of bought DVDs is *very* low in the past year.

That being said I do have for example the Lord of the Rings trilogy all on DVD - both the original version and the extended version. So some things I do buy.

Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.