Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
While at the Dr yesterday to get a steroid shot for my asthma the Dr mentioned having me tested for Diabetes due to my taking Prednisone often for my eczema and now I am taking it for my asthma.

I was not aware that this is a side effect of taking Prednisone. Has anyone developed Diabetes as a result of taking prednsisone and can it be reversed? Which type would this be?

Are there any signs I can look out for to see if I am a diabetic or any pre signs in case it has not happened and I can stop it from occuring?

Thanks for any insights.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Bonnie, as i said in another post Prednisone is a devil n angel drug. It can be a life saver, but it comes with many serious side effects. i developed over the years of steroid use (prednisone) cataracts,glaucoma, and osteoporosis.
The possible risk are
Altered mood and personality;
Cataracts, Glaucoma;
Hypertension, Abnormal Heartbeats
Osteoporosis, increased susceptibility to infections and other Aseptic bone necrosis
Possible adverse effects
Acid indigestion, abdominal distention;'
Muscle cramping and weakness;
Elevated intracranial pressure
Acne, excessive growth of facial hair;
Serious mental or emotional disturbances;
Development of inflammation of the pancreas- more likely with prolonged treatments or high doses.
Cushing's syndrome- possible with long term use (central obesity)
"BUFFALO HUMP"and moon shaped face
the list goes on n on i suggest you research your medications;
As bad as the side effects are it should NOT scare you from taking this medication as i stated in the beginning it can save your life.

Rosie L
B
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
B
Thanks for the feedback Rosie. I regularly use google for side effects and have a pill book and another PDR type book, but I never hear about Diabetes.

I take many supplements, not sure what that means exactly, but trying to combat one thing with another.

I turned 48 earlier in the month. The first time I ever used prednisone was about 10 years ago and that was twice in that one year and then not again for several years and usually about twice a year and in the last three years it has been about 4 times a year.

Mostly it is at a 5 mg or 10 mg dosage and the last two times (so far for 2008) has been 20 mg, first time for 15 days and now for nine days.

I keep it on my calendar and on my bulletin board so that if anything ever happened to me they know I am taking it or just recently did.

I was doing google search yesterday on how to tell a shut down of adrenal glands.

Maybe I should invest in a medic alert bracelet for myself.

I never heard of a moon shaped face and will search for some images. I did realize that I should not do the blood test for diabetes while on antibiotics and prednisone and wait for another month or two.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
Have you ever seen the faces of children who have had organ transplants and their faces are "moon shaped?" That is due to the high doses of steroids that they take (initially) to ward off rejection.

Yes, I took prednisone for over 20 years and it did give me "steroid induced diabetes" (treated the same as type II). Steroids change the way that carbs are metabolized. I have read that the diabetes can be reveresed after discontinuing the pred if you have only been on it for a short time. I quit taking it three years ago because it felt that eventually it would kill me.

Are you checked for Osteoporosis regularly?

Rebecca

Last edited by verynicebecky; 04/24/08 11:31 PM.

Freedom isn't free.
V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
In addition, have your liver checked anually (Liver Function Tests). Diabetecs have increased chances of developing Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (I have seen stats of 80-90%) and taking prednisone only raises your chances of developing it.

Freedom isn't free.

Moderated by  C. Kimura 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.