logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
When did you last take antibiotics? Did you finish up all of the pills?

Did you know that the immune system resides all around the GI tract? When we take antibiotics for bacterial infections little do we know that we are weakening the very immune system that we depend upon to stay well. Find out how in my latest article on the dangers of antibiotics...

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Interesting article! I can attest to the "friendly fauna wipeout" because I experienced it firsthand. A couple of years ago I had a horrible throat infection, couldn't swallow without it feeling like shards of glass, glands under jaw swollen, etc. Went in to the doctor finally (was feverish too) and she prescribed the mildest antibiotics she could because I don't think I've taken any since I was a kid. Worked wonderfully, the very next day the swelling went down, but I took all the pills at the appropriate time.
A year or two later, I get severe swelling from an infection where a wisdom tooth is partially erupted, causing blinding pain. I go to the dentist and tells me I need to have all four of them yanked, but first I need to get the infection out so he prescribes antibiotics and I take them. I didn't realize he had given me the ones for your average person, and EVERYTHING was wiped out. Not only were my guts in turmoil, but I had to go to the emergency room because I wound up with such a severe yeast infection that it was causing swelling. Lemme tell you, having THOSE parts swell up on you is SCARY as well as horribly painful. I think the doctor even winced when he saw what happened. Some pain killers and yeast killers later I was recovered, but yikes. I'll never take an antibiotic again without first finding out just how strong it is!

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Thanks for coming by and reading my article!

Wow, Grey! You are an awesome poster child for how careful we need to be using these killer drugs! I'm sorry for the way you suffered from "friendly fauna wipeout" as you so poignantly phrased it. Yours is the worst story I've heard!

So many people pop antibiotics for every sniffle and unfortunately most doctors are happy to hand them out - no questions asked. And no conversation on what will happen to your immune system.

Have you ever taken probiotics to restore your system? Chances are it is still in a struggling state. frown

Shay

Gecko
Gecko
No I haven't, and I think I'll look into that because you're right, sometimes I seem stable but there's a LOT of fluctuation between being o.k. and so very NOT o.k. Are there specific types that seem to work better, and where can I find them? There's a really good healthfood store near where I work, I bet they're likely to carry them...

I think a lot of women aren't aware that they have live bacteria "down there" that keep the yeast at bay, and might not connect taking antibiotics with a massive flare-up. I remember reading on the pill bottle that it can affect the effectiveness of different medications, but didn't mention THAT little gem.

I also find it funny how people can be such germaphobes, thinking that ALL "germs" are horrible for you, when we actually are symbiotic with a good chunk of them.

Last edited by GreyDrakkon; 04/22/08 02:19 PM.
B
Koala
Koala
B
I am taking them now - Cephalexin 500 mg 4 x a day. I started last Monday when I got the steroid shot for my asthma. I do supplement with probiotics.

Prior to this the last time was in Jan one a day for my rosacea. My kids hardly ever take it and I only last couple of years with these skin issues.

The Derm gave me one that really made me dizzy and I had to switch one other time from one that made me nauseous.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
I think the last time was about 3 or so years ago, for a uti. (I know, drink cranberry juice, but this was a doozy.) But in the last 6 years, I think that was the only time I took any antibiotics -- and yes, I finished the prescription. Don't want to grow resistant germs.

However, there was a time when I actually argued with my son's doctor to NOT give him antibiotics for an earache. It didn't sound like she was describing an infection, but rather just fluid build-up, which is what caused the pain. I suspect I was the first parent to not go in demanding antibiotics for her kid!

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: GreyDrakkon
No I haven't, and I think I'll look into that because you're right, sometimes I seem stable but there's a LOT of fluctuation between being o.k. and so very NOT o.k. Are there specific types that seem to work better, and where can I find them? There's a really good healthfood store near where I work, I bet they're likely to carry them...

I think a lot of women aren't aware that they have live bacteria "down there" that keep the yeast at bay, and might not connect taking antibiotics with a massive flare-up. I remember reading on the pill bottle that it can affect the effectiveness of different medications, but didn't mention THAT little gem.

I also find it funny how people can be such germaphobes, thinking that ALL "germs" are horrible for you, when we actually are symbiotic with a good chunk of them.

This problem that you encountered would make for a great article idea, Gray. I really should do an entire article just on the dangers of antibiotics for women. Women really don't know, but should. But then again, it benefits the pharmaceutical companies and insurance companies when we have issues "down there" so why should they tell us how to take care of our selves?

An awesome supplement for candida is caprylic acid, which you can get at your health food store. I have actually used it and it really does restore the lower chambers. You can also get probiotics there, which will restore the bacteria count in your GI tract as well which will boost your overall health. I like the NewChapter brand but any good full spectrum probiotic will do just fine. They are often on sale online, too.

You are right on - we are a mass of bacteria! We actually have more good bacteria in our bodies than we do cells. People need to relax and know all of the implications of their phobias and how they are creating a dangerously ill world with unnecessary reactions to perfectly natural things.

Shay

Gecko
Gecko
By all means, write an article about it! It would no doubt be helpful to quite a few women.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Bonnie, Autism Editor
I am taking them now - Cephalexin 500 mg 4 x a day. I started last Monday when I got the steroid shot for my asthma. I do supplement with probiotics.

Prior to this the last time was in Jan one a day for my rosacea. My kids hardly ever take it and I only last couple of years with these skin issues.

The Derm gave me one that really made me dizzy and I had to switch one other time from one that made me nauseous.

Good for you Bonnie, for replenishing your system! Have you seen an acupuncturist for your rosecea? Lots of times we take antibiotics that make us ill not knowing there are other ways that will heal the issue.

Shay

H
Koala
Koala
H
The last time i took anti-biotics was about 1997. I was on them for 4 days before calling my doctor about the side effects. He then proceded to yell at me because i had stayed on them for that long while so thirsty... you see, the antibiotics were shutting down my kidneys and could have caused them to permanently stop... meaning i'd be on dialysis for life. I didn't know that. I felt fine except for the extreme thirst, and thought, from everything i've heard about finishing a prescription of anti-biotics that i had to finish so i was trying to tough it out.

Anyway, i'm posting this to let people know that if you DO take anti-biotics, don't hestitate to stay in touch with your doctor about any side effects because they could be a sign that something is wrong and you might need to stop taking them. This was not the only time i had adverse effects... once a different antibiotic completely, and i mean COMPLETELY knocked out my sense of smell for months. I couldn't smell a lemon under my nose. I couldn't smell anything! It made me very angry, for if i'd known that was a possibility i never would have taken them. Anyway, I mentioned it in casual conversation with a chiropractor/natural medice doctor, and she told me to take certain mineral supplements, which i did, and my sense of smell came back that week! The antibiotics had completely depleted my body of certain minerals that apparently are necessary to our sense of smell. Who'd have guessed?

Probably my sensitivity to anti-biotics came about from being on them too much as a child. Now i find other ways of dealing with infections, and won't try anti-biotics again unless it really is a life or death matter. For sinus infections i do sauna and salt water irrigation and take zinc. For ear infections i very carefully swab with hydrogen pyroxide, and keep my ears plugged with cotton when i shower. For UTI's i drink loads of water and watch the pH in my diet (for me that works better than cranberries) and take an OTC medicine that works similarly to an antibiotic but is not. Anyway, i'm not a doctor and i'm not recommending people do this instead of anti-biotics, but it was the right personal decision for me and i have found other ways of getting well.

Last edited by hollyelise; 04/22/08 03:55 PM.
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Excellent point about the mineral depletion, holly. And how scary was that about the near catastrophic kidney failure!

Great tips on self health care too. I absolutely agree that some sort of certified practitioner should be contacted before relying on home remedies, but for most people they work beautifully.

What also works well for ear infections is garlic steeped in warm olive oil. But, I would like to add that if you are still getting the occasional infection it probably means your previous encounters with antibiotics have taxed your immune system. I totally sound like a probiotic sales person here (which of course I'm not!) but they undo the damage that antibiotics create and you will most likely find that you get far fewer infections as you take them daily. The recommended dose is 2 per day, but I take 3. I have not been sick at all in over 2 years.

Shay

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
My biggest culprit is sinus infections. I've been fighting with my ENT for years trying to get a FESS done, because I have a deviated septum (even I can see it on the Xrays), and I know that has a lot to do with why I can't get rid of them.

So at least twice a year, spring and fall allergy seasons, I'll wind up on antibiotics. I start eating yogure as soon as I start taking them and thast usually helps.

But this past winter, when my oldest wound up in the hospital, because of all the stress and lack of sleep - my sinus infection spread to bronchitis, spread to pneumonia - and I was on antibiotics for almost 3 months (different ones - I think there were 4 different kinds). Plus steroids and breathing treatments. And Diflucan became part of my "diet", too.

On the other side of the board - my 16 yr old son has only had antibiotics 5 times in his entire life. 1 of those times was for preventative when he had dental surgery, and another was when his appendix ruptured. He has had 1 ear infection, 1 sinus infection, and 1 case of bronchitis. That's it! Of course he has only had the flu twice and has had the chicken pox, He just doesn't get sick. I've often wondered if the CDC would take him away and study his immune system. crazy

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Hi Michelle!
Thank you for sharing your story. I've heard ENT can do wonders, but it may not be enough. When ever I hear someone mention multiple infections, I always go back to the ultimate cause being a depleted immune system which is caused by antibiotics. Also, when it comes to sinus infections most are initiated by a high sugar diet. Do you by chance have a sweet tooth? smile

I know what you mean about having a deviated septum and the sinus problems it causes! I have one too - my nose actually visibly veers off to the right and I get allergy symptoms every time there is a change in the weather. Which here in Vermont is practically every day! grin

But I haven't had a sinus infection ever since I started taking probiotics which was about 5 years ago. But I was taking a very low dose, so I did get the flu twice since then. But since I've amped up my intake to 3 per day, I have not been sick in over 2 years!

Did you get a chance to read my latest article on antibiotics? If you get the chance to look at it you may find it interesting:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I had to give my daughter some antibiotics a couple years ago for a strep throat she couldn't get rid of. The doctor said the antibiotic might cause severe diarrhea. I told her we never had trouble with that as we always ate yogurt when on antibiotics to replace the "good germs"

She said "Oh, that's a good idea." Like she'd never even thought of it before. I'm certain she never tells her patients that!

The past few years, I've worked on building up our immune systems so we have no need for antibiotics because we don't get sick in the first place.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Excellent, Green! I love to hear stories of all kinds concerning health issues and it is good to hear from you that you work toward a healthy immune system for yourself and your family. Congratulations on your good health and for being an inspiration to others! smile

Shay

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Excellent, Green! I love to hear stories of all kinds concerning health issues and it is good to hear from you that you work toward a healthy immune system for yourself and your family. Congratulations on your good health and for being an inspiration to others! smile

Shay

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Shay,

I do have a bad sweet tooth, eating is my comfort. But...

I had gastric bypass surgery about 2 1/2 years ago, so I do not eat sweets the way I used to. They make me physically ill (as do white pasta and rice).

My infection rate is about the same, but my stress level is WAY higher than it used to be - so I think that is the main killer of my immune system. That and the fact that I suffer from chronic insomnia. Lack of sleep and lots of stress = bad immune system. crazy

I will note that my level of UTIs have gone way down. I used to get one or two of those a year. And I cannot remember the last time I had one. And that probsbly is directly related to the amount of sugar I am no longer taking in.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.