Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 25 26
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
hmmm. I am thinking abut what you are saying. it might take a while to articulate how I am feeling. smile

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
Yes...me too.... It certainly has focussed the attention. I wuill admit I have not beem 100% successful, but it does concentrate the mind wonderfully. Very difficult to do when one's partner doesn't 'play he game' though.... and he's very anti- everything.... Truly. He's hard work.
Hates people, hates crowds, doesn't suffer fools gladly... has lots of issues.... oh well.....*sigh and smile!*

I also think Gennifer's take on cultivating genuine and perceptive Gratitude for all the things that come our way, is a good pointer..... Whatever it is, it teaches us something....

*Edit note: I meant Jennifer, not Gennifer!*

Last edited by Alexandra; 04/15/08 05:13 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Alexandra - OK I wrote a tome of content. I'm going to post it in a separate thread though, about dealing with partners who aren't quite in tune with you, since I think that's something most of us face smile

Jilly - I grew up with a shouting, borderline abusive stepfather and a very fiery mother. So I am definitely interested in hearing your take on "enthusiastic childhoods" smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Still thinking on this. smile

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well, I really think I am going quite well on my non-complaining. Today was a challenge - we took our first bike ride on our new bikes and I faced several issues. Road bikes are much taller than mountain bikes so I felt VERY unsteady. The brakes were in a completely different location, where I can't easily reach them. My gloves were new and hurt my hands immensely. Bob was very understanding and nursed me through it all. I tried to express issues gently. For example I had to tell him my hands hurt - so we could plan the distance on our trip properly - but I wasn't whining about it. In fact he offered to turn back early and I said we could finish the trail, that it was getting better. And in fact it did get better.

Low Carb Forum
Zebra
Zebra
"Turn it all into a positive" is sometimes a difficult, yet worthwhile exercise.... or at least to glean some advantage or enjoyment from the experience....Occasionally, being able to do so might be a great challenge in itself. The fact that you are making the effort to view the situation in a balanced way, may indeed, be the only thing of value!!
But your outing was a fruitful and enjoyable excursion for you in the end I hope.... so there in itself - to be out with Bob, on a healthy bike-ride - was an achievement... getting my partner to mount a bike may be more of a challenge..... grin

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Saturday was a ton of fun for me - we went out walking with friends in Old Sturbridge Village, a 1830s farming village and one of my favorite locations. It was so wonderful! And we had a wonderful lunch too.

Today I'm working on my laptop in my back yard, surrounded by my growing seedlings, the birds are out at my birdbath singing, and I am very relaxed. And I'm catching up on work and reviews!! So there isn't even a reason to complain smile

Alexandra - Bob would never really want to go to Old Sturbridge Village. So I deliberately cultivated other friends who have that sort of interest. No one person can be everything to you. If you seek out friends with different interests, it means you can have someone who enthusiastically wants to join you when you have a plan in mind for your day smile

Bob is off working at the bike shop today, which I highly encouraged him to do, which is great because he's learning more about bikes, which means we're more likely to go biking again smile

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
I'll do this, but I am going to try it one day at a time. Then at the end of a week I can be happy, then 2 weeks, and so on.

One thing I would love to get people I know to do is spend a month without saying they can't. It is wonderful to keep going until you DO instead of just assuming you can't.

And you know what? I CAN do the no-complaining thing. Each time I feel one coming on, I'll say something nice instead.

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes I would definitely put the "I can't" into the complaining category. Although I have to caveat if someone says

"Can you go to dinner on Tuesday"

I can say

"I am afraid I have another appointment already"

and that is considered fine.

but if someone says

"Want to go walking with me on Saturday"

I should not say

"I can't walk"

smile

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
:-)

I'm thinking of a totally different can't.

Like...

"Could you please close that door?"

"I caaaan't, I am tired" or so on.

A certain person I know did this in front of me my whole life, thanks to their can'ts, I now refuse to believe that I can't. If that makes sense. So, maybe it is a good thing in some cases. So, no complaint about it, only a giving thanks that a lesson was learned!

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
Page 4 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 6 25 26

Moderated by  Lisa - Buddhism 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.