logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Parakeet
Parakeet
I'm too young to be here, but I have been following this thread with great interest. I also thought of a few things that are not yet on your list:

*paper gift certificates (often in pre-set amounts)
*letter writing
*traditional (not digital) clocks -not gone, but their popularity is definitely waning
*charge accounts at local stores -not a credit card, but simply saying "put it on my account/tab" on your way out the door and not paying until the end of the month.
*check writing -again, not gone but going
*stand alone butcher shops -I've never seen one of these. Are they extinct?

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
If you can remember some of these things, you may not be too young after all! ROFL.
I think Stand-alone butcher shops are BIG city things (thinking NYC for example) although there is one in the Ferry Building in San Francisco... I think of them as an English village sort of thing!
Of the clocks in my house, (I love clocks!) only my hubby's bedside clock (and the ones on the appliances and DVD etc.) is digital - the rest are the face and hands kind! I don't think those will ever be gone, as long as the beauty and charm remains! Like dial phones though, I guess you can find them, they are just outmoded...sigh...

Laura Strathman Hulka - Senior Issues Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
I remember as a young child going into a shop and my father buying loose biscuits - they were taken from the tins behind the counter...
I was one of 5 kids so my parents had to watch every penny (another thing gone!) Dad often bought very hard biscuits that weren't particularly nice but we ate them anyway...
My mother discovered some weeks later, the reason they were cheaper than the other biscuits - they were dog biscuits!
Drive-in movies - there is still a drive-in in Melbourne but when I was a kid, they were everywhere...
The "outside toilet" with the pan that was emptied every fortnight - I vaguely remember my elderly aunt's outside toilet...
The chamber pot - for night time...

L
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
L
There are still drive-ins all around where we live now, in Northern CA., but we are in a big city/rural setting, where there is still land for that kind of thing!
I personally don't remember outside toilets (except when camping!) or chamber pots - so maybe there are some things about the "good old days" that we don't miss so much? ;0

Laura Strathman Hulka - Senior Issues Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.
B
Koala
Koala
B
Originally Posted By: Duane_Va
How about "carbon paper" -- not the stuff that is built into multi-page forms, but the stuff you had to actually insert between pages?

Just last week the social worker came for our annual assessment - I am a home health care worker for my son and she had carbon paper for all the copies I had to sign and we each got a page. I had remarked about it as well. I thought that stuff was obsolete.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
B
Koala
Koala
B
My earliest memory as a child was in NJ at age 3 (1963) waiting for the counter person at the bakery to slice our cinnamon bread. I loved the smell.

Also having delivery service to the car at the hot dog and burger place. And milk delivery service to your door in those glass bottles - like on I Love Lucy. Another thing gone around here in the city is kids delivery newspapers.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Laura - I've just turned 50 so the "outside loo" and chamber pots I recall would date from about 1963...my aunt lived in the country and hadn't upgraded her toilet - in fact, she never did...
I hated using the outside toilet - it was a wooden outhouse covered in ivy - I'm terrified of spiders - I also, hated the smell over the summer months and the wooden seat...I agree...thank goodness for progress - in this regard anyway...
Cinnamon bread - sounds delicious - I love cinnamon...don't think we ever had cinnamon bread in Australia - we had Banana Bread and Nut Loaf...I'll have to look for a recipe.

Last edited by Deborah49; 04/22/08 09:16 PM.
Koala
Koala
My mom (70) moved into the household at Christmas. She brought a lot of "old" things with her and is having a blast explaining things to my 9 and 3 year olds.

1. Records topped the list followed by the victrola.
2. AM only radios. (What, no SIRIUS, XM or HD Radio???)
3. Crayons only coming in 8 basic colors.
4. Sewing machines (we now have a treadle in the house)
5. Butter churns (you mean it doesn't just come from supermarkets?)

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Cameras with film. They are still available but not as common as digital cameras.

The first time I used mine with my nephew he was completely baffled as he could not see the picture after I took it. Try explaining the concept of film to a three year old! grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Pam - Senior Issues 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.