Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
M
Hi, I have always washed my clothes in cold. When I was a teenager, a red top ran really bad and ruined everything in the wash that day. I continuned, until my son began in a career of football, then only his clothes got the hot water. Now, it is recommended that you wash in cold to save money and energy. I'm hoping to be helping the cause.
Mary Caliendo, Tea Editor

Mary Caliendo
Tea Editor
Tea Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
Originally Posted By: Jilly

Laundry is kinda like my form of cooking. smile

Laundry is my form of cooking as well I suck at both!

I can cook well enough that we dont starve and I do laundry wellenough that we are clean but I dont iron mend or get fancy with the cleaning. my whites are as white as they can be with out bleach. I figure my socks dont have to be glaring white and if they look better going into the wash then they do coming out of it then its time for new socks! laugh I like new socks! that is the only thing white white that i have to wear.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We don't iron either - we maybe take the iron out once a year for something. We dress casually here. I am definitely finding that cold-only is doing well even with workout clothes and so far I haven't had any stain issues!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
We make a point of having clothes that can take washing and drying in a machine (not hand washing, not dry cleaning, not ironing).

The few things we have that we don't dry in a machine (some wicking workout clothes, my bras and our fuzzy socks) I just hang up in the laundry area and then put away.

I have a friend who irons every morning, and I find that bizarre. But I can see that she sees it as a morning mediation and it means something to her. smile

For me, we have an iron we got from walmart for 6 bucks and I use it to add patches to things (like a sci fi patch to my backpacks or hats). And it's around if a guest needs an iron or if I need to get candle wax out of the carpet. blush

Last edited by Jilly; 04/07/08 03:41 AM.
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I agree completely - I try not to have any hand wash or dry clean clothes around. I do have a few formal dresses that are dry clean only, and I rarely wear them, and actually feel guilty when I have to then bring them in to the dry cleaner. Unfortunately I adore the Chinese embroidery style and they just don't seem to have those in non-dry-clean.

Those Holy Clothing dresses that I love to wear claim to be hand wash only - but I finally gave up and wash them in the machine, separately by colors. With the front loader, you can do small loads and it only uses a tiny bit of water. So what I do is wait until I have 3 or 4 "red" dresses that need washing and then do them all together. It ends up being about a half load since they're so long.

Low Carb Forum
J
Koala
Koala
J
My daughter is very particular about her clothes and hand washed quite a few things marked "dry clean". She uses Woolite.

I personally don't like the chemicals they use in dry cleaning, which have been linked to cancer.

I did see an "eco-friendly" dry cleaner just the other day but not sure what that's about or if it's possible to do drycleaning with no harmfu chemicals.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I would definitely use an eco dry cleaner if they had one around here. I'd be really afraid about washing suits in water though ...?

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK the ultimate test - I had blood on my PJs from a cut I'd gotten. I washed them in cold, with my super-rinse setting. There are no stains at all!! So I am fully convinced. They smell super clean, I have no itching problems, and there are no stains.

Cold is King smile

Low Carb Forum
Elephant
Elephant
what I think is funny is that we all assume dry cleaning is done dry. It is actually done with a mixture of chemicals and water. It is just different and requres pressure and chemicals.

Personally I do not buy things that are dry clean only. If I have them I habd wash them if possible. The only eception is my suits. I do take those in. However, when they come home I usually air them and then steam them to remove any residual smell.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Lisa, that is actually not a good test. smile You can ONLY get blood (or other protein based stains - ie, body fluids) out in cold water.

Heat cooks it in; changes the enzymes so it becomes 'set.'

smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.