Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
I am thinking of having a tubal ligation so I can no longer become pregnant. Has anyone here had this surgery?

It could be as much as 10 years before I go through menopause AND it can take years for you to be sure you can't get pregnant. I would like some assurances NOW. I don't want to take birth control pills at my age which is 41 by the way.

Has anyone here had this surgery? If so then what was it like? I assume they can do it through a laprascope so it would probably ONLY be a day surgery but I don't know.

Please share any stories you guys might have.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Fatina just had one not too long ago, she talks about it here:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

L
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
L
Thanks for the link, I read it and like how is sounds alot.

If anyone else has stories please share.

F
Amoeba
Amoeba
F
Lisa_Orlanda, if you are really sure that is what you want and are not worried about future regrets, I say go for it. The procedure is short and uncomplicated. After three weeks, I'm back to my regular work and physical activity schedule. Be prepared to have a very strong standpoint when you get "interrogated" by your doctor on whether this is what you "really really want". In my case it was easy, since both my RN and MD were female and openly CF and that made it very conflict-free. I am in my late 30's myself and have been on BCP for over 20 yrs. I was thinking along the same lines as you. Even though long-term intake of BCP brings several positive health benefits, at some point enough is just enough. And since I knew I would never want kids, the financial aspect also played a role. Why keep shelling out the $$$ for the pill, if you don't really have to? I'd rather go out and have a nice dinner instead with that money! If you have any other questions, feel free to mail me.

Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I had my tubes tied in 1974, it was one of the wises decisions i ever made. i was 34yrs old at the time and had 4 children

Rosie L
V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
Hello,
First off, I have 3 kids. I had my tubal the day after the last child was born. Bare in mind that he is now 15, but I don't think that things have changed much since then (although I think there might be a procedure where they can go up thru the [censored], thus eliminating a scar on your tummy. Don't qoute me on this but I thought I had heard this somewhere). If I remember correctly, I had an epidural type of anesthesia because I was awake throughout the procedure. The surgeon showed me the little sections of fallopian tube, each in their own little vial while I was still laying on the table. This brought me much comfort. I can't remember what they said about recovery. Keep in mind that a lot of mothers who just gave birth have this surgery and then they have to go home to take care of the newborn, just to put what recovery is like into perspective.

Freedom isn't free.
B
Shark
Shark
B
I had mine done the same day my son was born by C-section. They just did it immediately after his birth. I have to admit I'm glad I had it done that way all at one time so that I didn't have to go back later on.

I've never had any problems since and that was back in 1994.

The only thing I was ever told was that each time of the month, I would have more cramps in my hips and that has proven to be true on many occasions.

V
Amoeba
Amoeba
V
Originally Posted By: bahrain
I had mine done the same day my son was born by C-section. They just did it immediately after his birth. I have to admit I'm glad I had it done that way all at one time so that I didn't have to go back later on.

I've never had any problems since and that was back in 1994.

The only thing I was ever told was that each time of the month, I would have more cramps in my hips and that has proven to be true on many occasions.

I wanted mine after the birth of my second child. He was born in Nevada. After his birth I asked about it and was told that I had to sign papers 30 days in advance of the procedure..they didn't mention this to me during clinic visits.

Also...I never experienced PMS until after I had my tubal. I can now tell when I am ovulating (pain in location of ovulating ovary)and have some breast tenderness.

Last edited by verynicebecky; 04/08/08 05:30 PM.

Freedom isn't free.
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
>Also...I never experienced PMS until after I had my tubal. I can now tell when I am ovulating (pain in location of ovulating ovary)and have some breast tenderness.

I wonder if it is age-related or surgery related. Since PMS is hormonally driven, it seems odd to have surgery start it. (Mind you, I have had it for most of my life. But it was only as I got older that I could tell when I was ovulating, and I've never had a tubal.)

Gecko
Gecko
I have a friend with three children that had a tubal ligation in California after her last child who is now three years old and she got pregnant with number 4.

She and her husband agonized over what to do and even considered termination for a split second only to dismiss the notion and carry the pregnancy to term. She says that she wouldn't take anything for that baby girl, but it took some time to get used to the idea that a surgical procedure that she considered to be permanent failed.

I talked to my OB/GYN about a tubal ligations and he said he didn't do them anymore because too many of his patients had to follow up in a few years with hysterectomies because of symptoms that he felt were brought about by the tubal ligations. The symptoms were excessive bleeding, irregular periods and PMS.

It just didn't sound very enticing to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/25/24 07:21 PM
Review of Boost Your Online Brand: Make Creative A
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/25/24 07:04 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/25/24 09:21 AM
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.