logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Gecko
Gecko
Bettyann -

Yogurt is a great thing! I've read for years that cultures who eat a lot live very long lives and this week I read that the beneficial bacteria could protect your teeth.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi again, Shay,

In my last post I mentioned my Husband's IBS. He is also lactose intolerant and that sometimes contributes to his problems. But unfortunately I think his IBS is genetic. His Dad, uncle and siblings all have it as well. Most of the above folks also smoke, and I think that has a lot to do with the cramping and diarrhea. But, of course, you can't tell them that! LOL As far as I'm aware, none of them have actually seen a doctor about it, or if they have, they've ignored the advice. It's almost as if it's not serious enough to actually treat it, just complain about it. wink

Elephant
Elephant
I am B+ and have many GI issues. I am lactose intolerant. I also have IBS. Problems with red meats (similar enzymes to the lactose LOL) and almost anything greesy. I switched to soy based and rice milk based cheeses and milks and most problems went away. Also cut back on red meats and don't have as much problems. Of course when I order a nice traditional ooey gooey cheesy pleasy pizza like I idd tonight, that all goes out the window and my GI is talking back to me. I don't have heart burn though, never if ever have. thank goodness for something.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Bettyann - Christian Lit
Thanks for the advice, Shay. I guess I'm "odd," because I didn't have symptoms. I never had heartburn in my life, even with my pregnancies. A bad stomach infection hit me-- about 8 years ago, and that's when my dr. discovered that my esophagus was inflamed. He sent me for an EGD at Vanderbilt, and they diagnosed "severe" GERD. I still hadn't had one symptom. Dr. put me on Prilosec, but he didn't intend to keep me on it forever. I stopped taking them a few years ago on my own, and I was fine. Rarely, very rarely, would I get reflux at night, while asleep, and wake up. I propped myself up and it was better. I noticed that take-out hamburgers affected me. Potatoes did not.

Hi Helen,
I must say, that you are one lucky camper! If you are now GERD free, then the meds did the job they were intended to do. A dear friend of mine was diagnosed with "symptomless GERD," put on the meds and then developed the actual GERD. She is now dependant on the meds. So consider yourself a happy, healthy woman. It seems that you are eating just right. If you have no discomfort with certain foods then you have chosen the right diet for you. Keep it up! For night time flare-ups the only thing you need to do is make sure you don't eat anything for 3 hours before you go to bed. That should take care of any problems at night.

Keep visiting!
Shay

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Originally Posted By: Helen Wharton
Hi again, Shay,

In my last post I mentioned my Husband's IBS. He is also lactose intolerant and that sometimes contributes to his problems. But unfortunately I think his IBS is genetic. His Dad, uncle and siblings all have it as well. Most of the above folks also smoke, and I think that has a lot to do with the cramping and diarrhea. But, of course, you can't tell them that! LOL As far as I'm aware, none of them have actually seen a doctor about it, or if they have, they've ignored the advice. It's almost as if it's not serious enough to actually treat it, just complain about it. wink

Hi Helen,
Since your husband has close family members with the same IBS issues and also suffers from lactose intolerance, there may be some inherited food intolerances going on.

Regular probiotic supplements will surely help with all colon issues. Also, [i]small[/i] amounts of dairy should help with lactose intolerance. We are each born with a particular amount of lactase, the enzyme that digests lactose in the intestines. If you take in more lactose than you have lactase to digest it, that is when you run into trouble. Your husband can adjust to the amount of lactase he naturally has by introducing small amounts of dairy at a time.

As far as food intolerance or sensitivity goes, many people do suffer from this. Please see my article on the elimination diet specifically for IBS sufferers.
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
"For night time flare-ups the only thing you need to do is make sure you don't eat anything for 3 hours before you go to bed."

Oh, boy! I guess eating a taco salad followed by chocolate truffle birthday cake for my husband last night is what woke me up at 3 a.m. or so gagging on the acid????

I've been told previously about the not eating before bed. It's really hard, at least for me. I've not been taking the omeprazole since I first posted. I think last night was definitely my own fault, and I'm going to keep trying. b.

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet

Hi Bettyann,
Yeah, I know what you mean about it being really hard to eat nothing for the 3 hours before bed. It took my a while to get used to it, too. But I have found it well worth the effort!

I thought that if I didn't go to bed with a little something in my stomach that I would wake up hungry in the night. But I found that as long as I have red meat for supper, I'm just fine.

So, yeah I would avoid those big high fat meals just before bed time. I can just imagine the pain you were feeling at 3 a.m. frown

Don't beat yourself up though. Just keep putting in the effort to be aware of what time you eat supper and what time you go to bed. Your tummy will thank you for it!

Shay

Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet

Hi Bettyann,
Yeah, I know what you mean about it being really hard to eat nothing for the 3 hours before bed. It took my a while to get used to it, too. But I have found it well worth the effort!

I thought that if I didn't go to bed with a little something in my stomach that I would wake up hungry in the night. But I found that as long as I have red meat for supper, I'm just fine.

So, yeah I would avoid those big high fat meals just before bed time. I can just imagine the pain you were feeling at 3 a.m. frown

Don't beat yourself up though. Just keep putting in the effort to be aware of what time you eat supper and what time you go to bed. Your tummy will thank you for it!

Shay

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.