logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#401982 04/02/08 05:19 PM
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A new subject everyone's talking about. What are your views on Oprah's current book selection? I have mine. They're on the Bella Christian Lit site. Let's get a good discussion going among the Christian crowd, especially you readers out there.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Parakeet
Parakeet
Hi Bettyann,
I just read your book review and you are very articulate about the way you feel. Good job on conveying your thoughts and feelings in your article. And thank you for opening up this discussion for all to share.

I read A New Earth all the way through and had a very different reaction to it. What I saw was that it teaches to let go of all of the hellish emotions that we get stuck feeling as human beings; dogma, anger, self righteousness, and hatred. All of the things that make life on earth a long and painful struggle.

In the Christian bible, God said, "Judge not lest ye be judged." This lesson teaches me that judging other people for what they believe will come back to each of us as judgement upon ourselves. It puts us into a downward spiral that leads to more judgement, defensiveness, dogma, anger and self righteousness.

I honestly do not believe that God is angry, jealous, self righteous and defensive. I don't believe God hates, punishes or loves one person more than another - playing favorites. It is my understanding that this is the "Devils" side of things, and that "Hell" is made up of these things. If God is truly acting out in this way, is Heaven paved with its undertones?

It is my understanding that God is goodness. When we teach goodness in our homes we teach not to lash out in anger, not to project jealousy and to not feel like we are better than anyone else - false pride. In a healthy home when a child exhibits this kind of behavior they are corrected. They are taught to control their anger by communicating their feelings clearly and constructively. They are taught to share and appreciate what they have. They are taught that all people are the same and no one is better than anyone else. Parents who treat their children in a manner of anger, jealousy and giving more love to one than the other are called "abusers," and often have their children taken away from them. People in society who act out in this manner are frightening and can only connect with victims and other abusers. If God acts out in these ways, are we truly expected to act more humanely? Or even more strangely, if we submit our deference to Jesus, we can act this way forever because He forgives us?

In Catholicism, a Christian sect, it used to be allowed for Nuns whip children's hands with a wooden ruler in front of all of the other students if they were judged to be misbehaving in school. This was in response to the biblical quote, "Spare the rod, spoil the child." It was finally repealed as abuse.

A New Earth shows how to diminish your own propensity to act out in any way other than goodness. It teaches charitability, love of yourself and the ability to allow yourself to listen to God. Not by simply believing what others tell you God has said. But what God has to say to you. A New Earth teaches that the world is a violent place because people are stuck in a spiral of violence and self importance and that it can be more in the alignment of God if we gave ourselves the chance to step away from it.

Shay

Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
Hi, Shay. Thanks for posting and for reading my review/article. I agree with most of what you say, especially about raising the children in a healthy environment. If that were true in every home, there'd be a lot less violence in the world, or none at all. Unfortunately, there is no book, including the Bible, that will change some people's hearts nor their minds.

God is a loving God. The Gospels all tell of the extraordinary love of the Father for his earthly creation. His wish is that all would come to him and find solace there. I know personally of God's love and protection and have since 1973, when I cried out to him, and he answered.

You're right about the Catholic nuns. I went to Catholic school for 10 years, when my father finally allowed me to go to the public school. My whole family was Catholic. I rebelled against a lot of the beliefs of the church as a young adult, and started questioning religion entirely. Luckily, no one I knew, including myself, ever got physically hurt by any of our teachers, but they certainly could be verbally abusive at times. I've never regretted my education, however, because we were taught a classic curriculum including Latin, and I thank God for that opportunity. I sent one of my daughters to Catholic school when she was in elementary school, and she did great. I noticed that the nuns had changed some by then. I have some very spiritual Catholic friends as well. And Methodist, Baptist, Church of Christ, and on down the line.

I attended various churches, including a Unity church for a while. Things got bad for me, abusive husband, divorce, single mom with not enough money to support the kids. The story goes in all kinds of twists and turns, which I'm writing in my memoir for my children and grandkids. True miracles happened to me.

It's been that way ever since 1973. I've had my ups and downs, and I've turned to go my own way several times, not relying on God, thinking I didn't need him. Only to be brought back every time. And, thus, my life continued to change. I could go on for a whole book about my experiences. Suffice it to say that God has proved himself real to me.

I understand what A New Earth says. The greatest majority of it is true. But there is Truth that isn't in the book.

I also admire your writing. You've got a good command of the language. And I can't believe it, but you are actually the editor of a site I really need. I just told my dr. that I needed to increase my meds for my GERD. I see those TV ads about getting cancer of the esophagus and stuff. My dr. said, no, you're not going to get cancer of the esophagus.

I briefly visited your site, but tomorrow I'm going back to see your "alternative" treatments. I don't like taking drugs too much, mostly because I don't react normally to most of them. Strange body I guess.

Anyway, thank you so much for sharing with me, and hopefully others too. I believe, as a Christian, we are all the same, and our major "purpose" in life is to help others and practice peace on earth, and giving God glory. b.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Thank you Bettyann,
I'm pleased that you were able to see the good in A New Earth even though you feel that there were things left out.

We all give ourselves to God in unique ways. I think that is what Oprah meant when she offered the idea that there is more than one way. God opens doors for all human beings to walk through and feel the beautiful, peaceful light. God is the light, energy, love and connectedness within us all. Again, thank you for opening this topic for all to share.

I am sorry to hear that you have tummy problems! Please do stop by my Stomach Issues site any time. I have also just posted two new articles on the root causes of acid reflux. I used to take one then two Prevacid a day. When the reflux crept back in I knew I had to do something else for my health. I am so happy to share what I have found in my research - things that have been so affective, that I have been medication free for over a month now! I am still a work in progress, but I do believe that I will soon be completely healed. I hope you find my articles useful as well. I am always open to feedback suggestions for new articles!

Shay

Moderated by  Lyn-Christian Lit 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/29/24 10:15 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:28 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/28/24 03:26 PM
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.