Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#377798 02/20/08 03:01 PM
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
My 10 year old grandson is on a basketball team. Some of the guys just hog the ball and do not pass to their team mates so we really lose a lot of points that way. Other guys do nothing but pass and yet others run up so far under the net that they could not possibly make a basket. Is this normal for young players or do we not have a very good coach?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
I'd say quite normal and the coach might not be very good. LOL--kids at 10 are all over the place. They might not be getting enough practice on the fundamentals or they might be nervous.

As long as they are having fun and learning something (getting a bit better over time), then I'd leave them alone. Because in addition to the coach, every player has more coaches at home, probably telling them the opposite of what the coach said. Plus, it's hard to listen to anyone in a crowded gym with everyone yelling: Shoot it, throw it, over here, dribble, time out. and so on.

BellaDeb #378402 02/21/08 11:43 AM
OP Offline
Yeah, I guess you are right. But, I don't yell directions at the kids, honestly I don't - there are enough other parents who do that and some of them actually get really mad! Poor kids, I bet they get yelled at all the way home. Last nights game was really exciting and I did of lot of cheering and clapping for our team - they were kickin'...

Phyllis Doyle Burns
F
Gecko
Gecko
F
You have a bad coach.

10 years old is not so young that fundamentals cannot be taught. If indeed there are "ball hogs" they ruin the game for everyone - teammates and spectators.

FrankJBN #387719 03/05/08 05:21 PM
OP Offline
Frank, that's what I think. The coach tries, I know - but, he has to instill in those kids the importance of teamwork! In Monday night's game they suddenly got into the habit of not dribbling or passing down the court, but throwing the ball from one end to the other as hard as they could without any aim and not looking to see if they had a team mate down there to catch it. Very frustrating! I don't like bragging, but my grandson was one of two who would get the ball, dribble and move fast to the other end and pass to a mate close to the net. The other kids just wildly threw the ball with no focus. I believe that is the coach's fault for not correcting them and telling them how to get points, not how to just throw the ball.

Phyllis Doyle Burns
M
M
My daughter was on a team like that. One boy would shoot no matter how covered he was! And his dad would encourage it the entire time. I don't think she touched the ball once. The coach did yell to the players to pass, but they would take the shoot every time!

MaggieMaey #400001 03/28/08 03:21 PM
OP Offline
My grandson's team lost a lot of chances at points because we had a ball hog on the team. No matter what the coach yelled, the kid ignored him and his teammates. It was very frustrating - but, still the kids seemed to enjoy their games and the season end pizza party was so much fun for them!

Phyllis Doyle Burns
I'm glad the kids still had a good time, how old is your grandson Phyllis? mine is 23yrs old and still lives with me ;o)

Rosie L
"Rosie" #400006 03/28/08 03:26 PM
Woops i saw it hes 10 sorry

Rosie L
"Rosie" #400012 03/28/08 03:30 PM
OP Offline
Yes, he is 10, Rosie - and a heavenly delight for me! I helped deliver him and have been helping my daughter to raise him. He loves basketball and is very good at it. His coach made him the star player on the team because he could dribble, defend, pass, throw and get baskets almost every time he managed to get the ball from the "ball hogs".

Phyllis Doyle Burns
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.