Next Thread
Print Thread
#399471 03/27/08 06:07 PM
A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
What's your favorite Latin dance? I love the Salsa, though I know I look sooo funny trying to do it, especially after I see it on Dancing with the Stars, lol! laugh

Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
ERA Offline
E
I love watching Argentine tango - it's such a sensual dance. But since I am latino I dance at our local salsa club, we dance salsa, merengue, bachata. i like them all but salsa is my favorite. Samba is fun to watch too

A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hi ERA!

I forgot about the tango and the merengue! I think I love the music that accompanies these dances as much as I like the dances. smile

Adoption Editor #400085 03/28/08 06:27 PM
K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
My favorite Latin dance - probably because it is the one I am best at and know more about - is salsa. It has complex rhythms, fun turns, creative improvisation, and sexy hip action when done correctly. Check out the following two videos: both are completely improvised. The first is for a Jack & Jill competition (where your partner and the song are randomly picked, no choreography), and the second is just two people social dancing. Just a fun dance!

Karin Norgard
A
Chipmunk
OP Offline
Chipmunk
A
Hi Karin!

Thank you so much for posting those videos!

I can't believe the Jack and Jill competition--those two were so good!

Have you ever been in a competition like that? I have...in my mind, lol!

However, it doesn't stop me from thinking I can do it after I watch a dancing show like dancing with the stars. Of course, two minutes later, after trying to even remotely do the same moves, I am forced back to reality. grin

I still have fun trying, though, lol!

Thanks again for posting the videos! smile

K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
Brandii,

Learning to dance is like a child learning to move. First he or she starts to crawl, then walk and run, and soon they are able to do incredible things like gymnastics or soccer. And it all starts from the very beginning.

It took lots of practice for me to move from a beginning to more advanced dancer. Dancing like the dancers in those videos requires lots of muscle memory and knowledge of the structure of the music and dance so they can create and improvise within the dance. When you get to that level, it's so much fun, but it does require a certain amount of time and energy devoted to get to that level.

For me, it took a couple of months until I could dance salsa with everyone in my dance community and follow all of the moves, improvise on the spot, and get my hips moving. And there is still so much for me to learn - there are different styles of salsa, from LA style to NY style, from dancing "on 1" to dancing "on 2."

What you have to remember also is that in Dancing With The Stars, they are learning a single routine. This does not mean that they can lead and follow and improvise like the dancers in these videos. Performing/competing and social dancing are two completely different sets of skills. The social dancers above are dancing within a structure and have certain set moves that are typically done, but notice in the first video how much the gentleman is matching the moves they do to the music - that is all improvised and takes different skills than memorizing a routine beforehand. Both are interesting and fun, but they are very different.

Don't forget to tune in to Dancing With The Stars tonight!

Karin Norgard

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.