Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#397679 03/24/08 01:20 PM
C
cela Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
I've been thinking about artificial flowers today and how they get a bad rap. You know how some people look down on artificial flowers like they are substandard or something? What about ceramic flowers made by "artists." Or bronze replicas of flowers? Or paintings of flowers? To me, the people who make some of the silk and other artificial flowers qualify as artists, too.

Just a thought.

cela
Sponsored Post Advertisement
cela #397720 03/24/08 02:44 PM
C
Zebra
Zebra
C
I have seen some beautiful silk arrangements and I love all of the pretty wreaths that are made with artificial flowers. I also recently saw a silk vine topiary and I couldn't tell it was not a real vine.

FavoriteTraditions.com
Life's Special Moments
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I saw a show on HGTV about the top ten design errors in a home and they listed artificial flowers. I think tho that a nice silk flower arrangement can really add to a room's decor so I disagreed with them on that one.

The silk flowers I don't like is when someone puts them in an outdoor planter and they get all faded looking. In the house tho, I think they can be beautiful.

C
cela Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
I know what you mean about the outdoor use of artificial flowers. I've even seen some people put plastic flowers in with what's growing in their foundation beds. That's bad enough, but when the plastic fades, ughh. This is also done sometimes in graveyards around here. Don't get me started on that one!

Although I do like silk artificial flowers, most of the plastic stuff drives me nuts! There are a few exceptions.

cela
cela #398058 03/25/08 10:26 AM
Shark
Shark
The only time silk flowers don't bother me is in a wreath, and then they have to look very natural.

My grandmother sticks fake flowers in her front flower beds now. She got tired of all the work involved with gardening. Really she does still have the ability to garden, she just doesn't want to. My mother pointed out that if someone is driving by quickly and is just looking from the corner of their eye it might look real! My mother would come put real annuals in for her, but my grandmother doesn't even want to water them. As two serious gardeners we find this somewhat exasperating, but it's my grandmother's house so whatever makes her happy.

I don't own any, but do like when you see flowers in a vase made of ceramic or glass. Those can be very pretty and they never look natural. I think silk flowers have gotten a bad rap. They can be done very realistically, but then the cost goes up very quickly. I have made wreaths of dried hydrangea flowers for my house. Those always turn out great.

Last edited by Charity - Roses; 03/25/08 10:28 AM.

Charity Armstrong
Roses Editor

BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I have used fake flowers in the past for decoration but stopped because trying to clean them is a pain! I also like the scent of the real flowers in the house.

cela #453651 09/19/08 03:35 PM
A
A
This post has been removed. If you wish to advertise on Bella Online, please visit the Bella Online Advertising Information page.

Last edited by Lisa_Budget_Decor; 09/30/08 06:30 PM.
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
avas, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your stay!
Rosie

Rosie L
M
M
Originally Posted By: Allison_PCAdvice
I have used fake flowers in the past for decoration but stopped because trying to clean them is a pain! I also like the scent of the real flowers in the house.

I was going to say that fake flowers are nice as long as they are not dusty! there are some beautiful ones around and they keep getting more and more realistic.

L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
To clean dusty silk flowers, you can stick them in a ziploc bag with baking soda and table salt and shake shake shake. When you're done., shake them clean.

I don't mind nicely done silk plants either, but plastic flowers, ick!

K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Originally Posted By: Lisa_Budget_Decor
To clean dusty silk flowers, you can stick them in a ziploc bag with baking soda and table salt and shake shake shake. When you're done., shake them clean.

I don't mind nicely done silk plants either, but plastic flowers, ick!

I'll go a step further, Lisa. Just stop by Walmart by the silk flowers section and purchase the spray that cleans silk flowers. This is an effective spray that works well, should you like silk flowers. To me, nothing is more effective than using the real thing but to each his own. Happy harvest everyone!

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
L
Amoeba
Amoeba
L
I didn't know there was a spray. What is it? I'm a label reader,I wonder how a spray could remove dust, I'll have to check it out, thanks for the hot tip!

K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Hi, Lisa. I forgot the name of it as I have not used it for a long time. (got rid of all the fakes) but it is in the aisle with the silk flowers. You can't miss it. Get started cleaning 'cause before you know it, the relatives will be stopping in for Thanksgiving. Happy harvest everyone and be sure to stop by and learn how to make your spring garden extra colorful. Bye!

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
Amoeba
Amoeba
In defense of silk flowers I have 3 arrangements throughout the house, none of them are overwhelming but rather muted colors that add texture to an otherwise dull area. They were also done by a very talented professional that I know (I myself have tried and they look AWFUL when I am done with them).

On another note, the other night my husband and I went to visit some friends and the guys were playing their new Wii. Well Kris had an arrangement of beeswax flowers on her table and WHACK!! All over the place. She just laughed and said you are supposed to be able to heat them up and fix them as good as new -- well, we will see. So just a lesson - no articifial flowers on the tennis courts!

Sarah

C
cela Offline OP
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Believe it or not, with silk flowers, I often take the arrangements apart and, holding the flowers by their stems, give them a few fairly hard shakes to get rid of the dust. I've even whacked them against my hip. Once in a while, a leaf will dislodge; but, so far, the damage has been minimal. You can usually tell where something came off and put it right back in that spot. I've also successfully tried rinsing them, but that's more time consuming; and it only works if the stems are plastic.

Of course, you do this at your own risk. I'm not guaranteeing you the same results! smile

Last edited by cela; 12/31/08 12:47 AM.

cela
cela #548914 09/16/09 08:46 AM
T
Amoeba
Amoeba
T
Artificial flower is looking beautiful.It's looking view ia fantastic.They are used in beautiful silk arrangements, decorative home's and pretty wear.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I must admit, my lack of a green thumb results in my having very beautiful silk flowers in my office at work. Michael's sells very nice ones. I do get a lot of compliments on them.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
cela #593218 03/29/10 09:47 PM
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
Artificial flowers have come a long ways. A lot of them today look so natural. They do fade outdoors in the sun, but if people buy several of them, then they can replace them when they get to looking bad. I don't hardly see the plastic flowers anymore so this is good. Some silk ones are just beautiful.

cela #624257 09/04/10 11:17 AM
Gecko
Gecko

I love flowers and you know what? Silk can look just as beautiful if not better in some cases.

I love to do flower arrangements and back in the day I used to enter contests that specialized in Gladiolus. I loved them but they were hard to work with at times and they have a short life.

Proud Pagan
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I totally agree PJK56. It's very important to swap them out when they start to look dusty/dingy or when a different look is needed.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
L
L
[quote=ThomasWilliams]Artificial flower is looking beautiful.It's looking view ia fantastic.They are used in beautiful silk arrangements, decorative home's and pretty wear. [/quote] Yeah, Artificial flower is one kind of home decoration gadgets . In this science-flourish world, artificial flowers are looking more like real ones, if you put them it the real flower groups, you can't find out which one is the counterfeit .

Last edited by Lerry; 09/16/10 03:45 AM.
P
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
P
Is silk flowers are just as pretty, and you know sometimes a person can't tell the difference.

D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I have a lot of silk flowers in my office. My coworkers think they look very pretty.

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.