Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Where did you grow up, BillieCat? I can't imagine receiving hate calls as a child. I don't think I'd be able to wrap my finger around it. I was so taken aback by the grown man who yelled at me the other night. I guess it's hard to believe that people are really so stupid.

I suppose it's making me realize that the differences even among Jewish people may have a stronger role than we think (a hidden one, perhaps?) and maybe that's why I keep writing about it.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Shark
Shark
Wow, hard to believe this stuff goes on. I have never experience it. I don't think I have ever met anyone who was that ill informed. The worst that I get, and it happens every year, is the fight with the town over the Christmas tree. People actually say that the Christmas tree is not a religious symbol. Duhh. Spell Christmas tree, and stop after the first six letters. Or, when we fight to get a little Jewish representation they give up the fight and say to respect all faiths, we will just put up more Christmas lights.

I get ignorance, I don't get the antisemitism. The "you people" bothers me.

F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
I've seen a lot of anti-semitism in my life, and grew up as one of the only Jewish kids in my class. Mostly it's just in the form of jokes, but sometimes more.

On my street growing up there were lots of kids. My next door neighbor was Jewish, and we were friends, so I wasn't lonely, but I really liked this one set of sisters who lived down the street. Occasionally they would play with me, but more often they would leave me out.

This was over 30 years ago, and one night recently I was talking to my mom about our friends on our street growing up, and those sisters came up. My mom said, "Maybe you didn't even know, but they weren't allowed to play with you because you were Jewish."

I was so shocked. I had never considered that a possibility.

B
Gecko
Gecko
B
I grew up in a suburb of Philadelphia, and there is a Jewish population there - not my neighborhood though.

I also had a boyfriend in high school (he was Catholic) whose parents were really nice, but I went over there for Christmas and there was an Aunt and Uncle who had just found out I was Jewish - you wouldn't believe the looks I got after that - like I was a devil or something hideous. What is it with the hatred of Jews? It has been around forever!

I like what you wrote Lisa, about difference amongst Jewish people - how some have experienced Anti-Semitism and some have not. It is very difficult for a child to comprehend this when it is directed towards them. A child doesn't understand why someone hates them for no good reason.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Oy, Frieda... that's life changing - when you realize something from your childhood wasn't exactly as you thought it was.

Carol - I am currently very intrigued by the very different perspectives people have while looking at the same exact thing. I suppose that is happening with the Christmas tree, but - I'm with you - it just doesn't make sense.

BillieCat - you just reminded me of a boy I dated in high school. He told me his parents didn't like Jews and beat him up because he was dating me. He was a chronic liar so I wasn't too worried about him being beaten, but just the fact that he came up with that was pathetic enough.

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.