logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Downtown Atlanta was hit by a tornado Friday night at about 9:40 pm, right in the middle of the Mississippi State-Alabama basketball game at the Georgia Dome. Although a tornado warning had been issued, no announcement was made to fans in order to prevent panic. The EF2 tornado did considerable damage to downtown buildings including Phillips Arena (site of an NBA game!), CNN Center, and Centennial Olympic Park. Saturday's St. Patrick's Day parade was canceled.

Last night's storms were more intense than expected, since only a 'slight' risk of severe weather had been declared. The risk for today (Saturday) is moderate and a tornado watch has been issued.

At this time (1:40 pm CDT), strong storms are moving through parts of northern Georgia, North and South Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee.

Anita - Weather Editor
BellaOnline Weather
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
When I moved from Michigan to the southwest, I said that was the number one thing I wasn't going to miss - tornadoes.

My thoughts are with the people of Atlanta.

Sharon Michaels
�Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.�

Abundance and Wealth Editor and
Self Development Editor

The Abundance and Wealth Site
The Most Recent Abundance and Wealth Featured Article

Sharon's Power To Succeed Blog

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
We just had lots of fun with the weather down here today. {roll eyes}

My daughter was in a cheer competition that was supposed to take place at Six Flags - got moved to a local high school at the last minute, because they knew this weather was coming.

In the middle of the competition, the sirens start going off - and we have to find places for about 50 cheerleading teams to take cover while this tornado goes by (with hail and all the other lovely accoutrement).

We've got girls absolutley hysterical and in tears, because they have no idea where their parents are - and here's my 10 yr old chomping on nachos!

Anyway - it blew over us, some hail damage to some vehicles - but nothing more major than that. We did have to do a few makeup repairs though! wink

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
B
Koala
Koala
B
I wish there was some kind of siren warning for earthquakes. Wow that must have been a frantic feeling with those girls and the sirens going off. Glad all are okay.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Bonnie, I don't know about sirens for earthquakes, but I know that my NOAA weather radio will pick up any type of emergency broadcast warnings including earthquakes and volcanoes! (not applicable in my area... so far eek )
I advise everyone to have one of these radios, unless you are in a closed valley or another area that does not receive NOAA broadcasts. I bought mine at Radio Shack.
(hmm, this sounds like time for a review article... smile )

Anita - Weather Editor
BellaOnline Weather
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
Michelle -- I'm glad you didn't get worse than a little hail damage! Your daughter sounds like me as a child. When we had severe storms in southeast Texas (frequently!) I just thought it was cool. lol! grin

Anita - Weather Editor
BellaOnline Weather

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.