Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Myrabeth that is SO annoying. That is what really annoys me about BMI. I do think it's a good "starting tool". It's a good way to get a rough idea of what category someone is in. But once you know that information, you definitely have to delve further!! It's like with cholesterol. If you know someone's total cholesterol that's a good start, but you really need to know their HDL and LDL and such to know what the real story is. Two people could have the exact same "total cholesterol" number and one could be very healthy and one could be very unhealthy.

I *definitely* think you should get yourself a fat and water monitor, because that would then silence the doctor, to prove you were a normal fat percentage. Your doctor should have done that herself!! That's what she is there for ...

The electronic signal through your body is *very* accurate because literally it measures your insides with that pulse. If you're in this situation I would actually say not to get the handheld one we have because it's fat only. Instead I would say to get the stand-on scale -

that figures out both your fat percentage AND water percentage. For example I stood on my machine today and it says I am 24% fat and 50% water. By knowing these values you get a good sense of your hydration level and also your fat level of course. If you go with those numbers into your doctor you can prove to her that you're far healthier than anybody else she sees smile

It's about $30 on Amazon so I imagine it's about $30 at most stores ...

Bonnie - I keep a pad of paper in the bathroom and write down the 3 numbers most morning when I weigh myself. That way I keep a running log of how I'm doing smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
F
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
F
This is interesting, and eye-opening.

I just did the test and I'm in the healthy range. Yay! I was curious as to how much I would have to weigh to become in the "very good, maybe underweight" range (wouldn't that be nice?). Turns out I'd have to lose almost 25 pounds. That's pretty extreme! I'd have to really starve myself to do that, and I don't think it would look very healthy. I must have heavy bones or something. If I am at my thinnest, which is about 150, people have told me I look too skinny. So I see what you mean that this is a very rough idea.

Parakeet
Parakeet
In order to fall into the healthy BMI range, I'd have to go back to weighing 115-135.

When I weighed 115, about age 16, I was much less muscular, and was still so thin I looked unhealthy. I was also suffering more colds and viruses than I get now and was passing out occasionally because my already low blood pressure was plummeting for no reason the Drs. could find.

When I weighed 135, I was 21, a little more muscular, still looked too thin to be healthy, still constantly sick, and still having minor problems with my blood pressure.

I would never go back to that. I may have a few pounds of chub to spare, but I would never consider trying to get even remotely close to 115 again. I much prefer rarely being sick, having more stable blood pressure, a muscular, healthy looking body, and the slow battle of trying to burn away a little superficial excess flesh. Falling into the "obese" category is a healthier place for me!

We're in the market for a bathroom scale right now, so I'll look into getting one like you suggested, Lisa. Thanks!

Last edited by myrabeth; 03/14/08 04:24 PM.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Frieda - right you might have heavy bones, or maybe dense muscle or all sorts of other things. So a BMI is only a rough guideline about the general "body shape" a person is in.

Myrabeth - Yes every one of us has a different range that we are naturally healthy in. So it's important that you stay in your own healthy range and not get "artificially thin". Definitely get your hands on one of the fat/water scales and let us know what it says! They should be pretty much at any store you go to.

Low Carb Forum
Elephant
Elephant
I still have all this excess fat even after loosing 150 pounds. I know my BMI doesn't reflect all the muscle and my structure either.

Now if I could only excercise like I want to looke the last 50-75 pounds I wanna loose ;0)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jase do you know your actual fat percentage? Or do you mean loose skin because of the weight loss?

Low Carb Forum
Elephant
Elephant
loose skin that still has fat in it. I don't know my actual fat %

I have what is called a dieters curse.. an apron ;0)

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I really suggest you get your work to buy one of these -

they are relative cheap (under $30) and they are SO much fun. It's something everyone wants to pick up and play with. You can have it in your waiting room. Then it encourages people to want to ask about treatments to help their skin and such. Think of it as an inexpensive marketing tool. Then you can use it too smile

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 03/14/08 09:48 PM.

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Myrabeth - we are at a store today and I was looking at the fat percent scales, they are down in the $25 to $30 range so I definitely suggest you get your hands on one and try it out! It would be interesting to see where you fall and to then tell that to your doctor.

I think my workouts are really doing me some good - my fat percentage came out at 20.0% when I just tried it now. So I am definitely losing fat.

I tried looking up alternate methods of fat determination, for those of you who can't get one of these devices, but really this is your best choice. There is a "total immersion in water" method but you need an underwater scale. There are also the hand-held calipers where you pinch the skin at various parts of the body but apparently these are really iffy for non-trained technicians to use properly. These devices above let you try it out in your own home easily, as frequently as you want. Plus they're fun party games smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Today my body fat is 21.4%!! smile Progress! smile

Low Carb Forum
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Lisa LowCarb 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.