logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Shark
Shark
I believe that God is a force and not a person so it is therefore genderless to me.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
R
Gecko
Gecko
R
I couldn't get the Wiccans telling me that GOD made us in his image and we (and other creations) are male and female......More masculine, yes....

When I was in a non-denominational church and I heard the pastor say..."When GOD created Adam with the male side of himself and Eve with the female side of himself......."

WOW - that did it!!!! Something I had been fighting with a Christian background (Methodist) and heard it right there in church....in 2007..........

E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
yes christianity teached god is both male and female. but because of taboo and limited human understanding that sounds really weird. I dont think it is sexual, but spiritual.

example, some men are more feminine brained, some woman more male brained. It does not detract from who they are physically.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Zebra
Zebra
Errrr....Nicola Jane, where exactly does Christianity teach that God is both Male and Female? confused

And I don't entirely agree with your second comment... it needs clarifying, because it depends on the circumstance. Are you talking about transexuals? Homosexuals? Cross-dressers? Physicality is not under discussion here. it's attitude....

And this is the big problem with 'God' isn't it?
Everybody has expressed a different ideology of what they perceive God to be. But everyone here, has expressed a slightly different perception.
This is because the goalposts are constantly being shifted.... Had anyone given the opinion in a church or Christian community, even 20 years ago, that they considered God to be of an indeterminate gender, they'd have been shouted out of your church and denounced for Blasphemy. This god is a S/He, is a relatively recent ideology, and it seems it has been purely disseminated to keep the feminists happy....

Strictly speaking, God is completely genderless.
Biblically, we've always been fed the idea of God as a male entity, because men have been in charge of theological doctrine, dogma and Religious instituition, for centuries. So it's natural that any deity in charge, would reflect whoever was socially in charge, too.... it follows.

An all-powerful, omnipotent deity transcends gender, so referring to the Godhead as a female is completely wrong. But then again, to be fair, it's equally wrong to determine that it's "He", too.

But we need to label things. we need to give ourselves an image, something to hold on to... something mentally accessible and tangible.
And that's where belief in God starts falling apart. because with nothing to cling to, where does the rest of it stand?
The answer is, in our heads.
That's the only place God has any form. And because the only place God can exist, with any credibility, is in our heads, this is why we need to question every aspect of our faith.
because Seeing God in one way or the other, is playing with our own minds.

Last edited by Alexandra; 03/14/08 01:26 PM.
Elephant
Elephant
I come to it from the Jewish thought process. The names for G-d are both male and female. I think G-d encompanies both and none.

It is how G-d is perceived by the person that is important. In times of need, one might see G-d as female, in times of tribulation, male, and others as genderless.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
In the Christian bible, God is referred to as Father and He, Him. If He was both genders, I think the early prophets and others would have said so. I think of God as my Heavenly Father and that is how I address Him.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Phillis - in the *English Language* Bible that is true - but remember that the Bible was not written in English. Every language has its own method of dealing with gender. For example in Spanish, you say "La Luna" - i.e. the moon is female. You say 'El Sol' - the sun is male. So every object in Spanish has a gender whether it deserves one or not. We can't make any judgment about the Bible based on it being in English. We would have to go back to the original language to see if it really did say "he" or "father" in that language. It may have just said "parent".

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Now interestingly the word for book is

el libro

in Spanish, which is "the book" - which is male. Books are male.

However, the word for Bible in Spanish is

La Biblia

which is *female* ... so Bibles are female ...

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK one other thing when it comes to the Bible. Here's a pretty clear example of how language is damaged along the way in translations. I'll put it in the Bible Basics thread so this one doesn't get too confusing smile Just a sec ...

OK here's the thread showing how the name "Jesus" is inaccurate, that it is a series of mistranslations in the Bible that got us to say that name in modern times -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Last edited by Lisa Low Carb Ed; 03/14/08 02:27 PM.

Low Carb Forum
Lisa, that is true about the language the bible was originally written in. I really would have to study ancient Hebrew to find out the truth for myself (which would be an interesting study to take up). I have so often heard that the Christian bible was revised by Catholic Priests very early on and they omitted much of what they did not want the people to know, things that they felt only Priests should know about. I do not know for sure if that is true. However, I guess a person has in his or her own heart what they live by as their own truth and maybe I should have stated that in my last post. In my heart, my truth is: God is my Heavenly Father. We each have our own truths.

However, I really think I will study ancient Hebrew as soon as I can get started on it. Thanks for bringing to my attention the language aspect of all this.

Last edited by Phyllis NatAmEd; 03/14/08 02:32 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Sunnie - Bible Basics 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.