Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Mx3 #658720 01/27/11 11:29 AM
D
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
D
I love GS cookies. I WISH I could walk by one of those tables and NOT purchase a box or two Lol... (on top of the ones I purchase at work to support kids and grandkids of co-workers. Thank goodness they freeze well :-)

Ions ago, I did take on the role of coordinator the troop. It was definitely hard work! Hats off to any person who tackles it. I agree about the competitive piece, that really defies the principle of scouting (in my opinion).

Dianne Walker

Action Movie Editor
Action Movies Site

How do I relax? I run!
Grandma to Half Marathon
Sponsored Post Advertisement
G
G
We just started selling cookie in my area (SC). We'll have them until March. I have done cookie booths with my troop for the last 8 years. It is a lot of work! My troop is just taking orders this year and taking a break from booths this year.

Denese Tyler
Girl Scouts
M
M
We have Little Brownie Bakers in my area, so we carry all the classics (with their classic names) and some newer ones like the Dulce de Leche and Thank U Berry Much(meh). The girls in my Troop have done REALLY well on preorders-4 girls have already surpassed their goals-and booth sales haven't even begun yet. This is the first Scouting experience for all of the girls in my Troop so we are working very hard to earn money for a fun trip. Children these days seem to have a booked Daytimer (my own child is a rare exception-we limit our commitments), so it is so encouraging to see the effort these young girls have put into cookie sales, when I know they also have piano, dance, swimming, choir, soccer, softball, cheer, gymnastics, etc. plus the huge load of schoolwork each day. I understand the derision of some of the PPs regarding "cookie pimping" and I am one of the first parents each year to suggest our PTA stop pushing the stinky candles and giftwrap and stale popcorn sales and instead hold a walkathon, or a spring carnival, or even a pet parade to raise funds for PTA. I don't want to be pressured into buying junk I don't need or want because I want to be a parent who supports the school. Plus, I think the children need to be vested in the fundraising activities if they are expected to sell, and while it isn't as if the girls bake these cookies themselves, they do have a vote on where we have our booth, they decorate it, interact with the customers, and come away with a sense of having worked to achieve a goal. With PTA sales, they bring home a flyer they haven't even looked at, and mom and dad buy stuff. The other point I will make is that these girls set their cookie sales goal based on an trip on which they voted as a Troop. We figured the cost and how much we had to sell to earn the money. Ultimately they will see the fruits of their labors and you CANNOT put a price on a lesson like that! Hard work pays off! I know that the money the PTA raises is for the betterment of the school and is very important, but the children do not see the work/payoff relationship in the same way they would if they were more involved. Sorry for the novel! *steps off soapbox* :crazy:

Mx3 Offline
My issue with cookies is that most girls do not "earn" the prizes and patches-family does it for them. I also do not like how hard the girls work for so little profit. They keep too small a share. The GSA has a stranglehold on troops...no other fundraisers unless you do these. The girls can do tons of things and keep 100% of the profits-like car washes, yard sales...but are not allowed to do so. I am glad your troop reached it's goals! It is an important lesson to be learned.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.