Next Thread
Print Thread
#383377 02/28/08 08:28 PM
A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
Vote in the poll, and if you wish, elaborate on your answers in a post!
Thanks!

Do you now or have you ever used melatonin?
multiple choice
Yes, for jet lag. (11%, 1 Votes)
Yes, for sleep. (67%, 6 Votes)
Yes, for other reasons. (11%, 1 Votes)
No, but I\'d like to try it. (0%, 0 Votes)
No, I\'m not interested. (11%, 1 Votes)
Total Votes: 9
Voting on this poll ends: 03/13/08 07:27 PM

Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
I have used melatonin both for jet lag and as a sleeping pill. I had to stop though because there were interactions with some other medications I take. This is not uncommon, as I mention in the melatonin article.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I've never even heard of melatonin like this. I thought of it as the thing in your skin that makes you tan ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Amoeba
Amoeba
Lisa,
You are thinking of melanin, which is the pigment of the skin and hair that is produced by cells called melanocytes. The words are very similar! smile

Melanin is responsible for tanning and for skin color in general. Melanoma is a type of skin cancer (same root word) that is related to the melanocytes.

Melatonin is a hormone produced by the brain which helps regulate sleep patterns.

Anita - Weather Editor
BellaOnline Weather
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Melatonin as actually been a big topic at our local autism spectrum support group.

So many of the medications the kids take that are on the spectrum have the bad side effect of keeping them awake at night - and then the doctors have to turn around and put them on another medication to help them sleep. So a lot of parents have been turning to melatonin.

The only problem that has been found is that the body seems to adjust to it if you take it over an extended period of time. So it either becomes less effective - or you have to up the amount.

As for me personally - I took it a long time ago, but I have chronic insomnia. It only worked for about a week. I now take a combination of ambien and seroquel. And I only take them when my husband is home, because they cause some crazy sleepwalking type stuff (well, the ambien does.)

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OH smile LOL smile Yes I was confused smile

Melatonin, it comes back to me now. I must have been sleep deprived smile

I definitely have times that I can't fall asleep but luckily I just stay awake until I do fall asleep. Yesterday I didn't fall asleep until about 11am (after being up all night) and then slept through until 11pm. So I just sort of sleep when I get sleepy and then wake up when I wake up. It must be really rough for people who "have" to wake up at a certain time even if their body wants to be on a completely different schedule. Then you have to drug your body to convince it to do that ... what a pain!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
A
Jellyfish
OP Offline
Jellyfish
A
That's true, Lisa. There is no single "healthy" sleep pattern; every person is different. It is generally society that requires standard times for sleeping and waking. However, sometimes having a different circadian rhythm, or one that changes, causes other physical issues, especially for those with certain chronic diseases. If my sleep is irregular I set myself up for medical problems; that's why I'm supposed to keep myself to a certain pattern -- though I don't always do it! smile

BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
BellaOnline Editor
Zebra
I've used melatonin to get to sleep occasionally - usually when I'm trying to get back into my regular sleeping pattern. However, when I was going through my divorce it simply wasn't strong enough, so I asked my doctor for something to help me sleep. She gave me trazadone which worked quite well. I currently don't take anything to help me sleep - that isn't a problem for me right now.

B
Koala
Koala
B
My almost 13 year old has been taking a chewable melatonin tablet from Trader Joes for years with no ill effects.

I take atarax or benadryl to knock me out for my scratching associated with eczema.

Bonnie Sayers - Autism Editor

AUTISM site

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.