logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Is any one planning on going to Beijing for the Olympics this summer? I would love to go and give you guys first-hand coverage of the Games but going to China costs a pretty penny plus it would be difficult to put my life in the US on hold right now.

My boyfriend, Jun Quan, whos work and family are based in China, may be in China on business while the Olympics are taking place. Perhaps I could talk him into snapping some photos for us while he is over there. wink

Last edited by Heather - Chinese Culture; 03/10/08 09:26 AM.

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
I'll be watching China on TV - it should be fascinating.

Do you believe China will be honoring their rich heritage during the Olympics or focusing on modernization?

~Sharon

Sharon Michaels
�Empowering and mentoring women to greater personal and professional success.�

Abundance and Wealth Editor and
Self Development Editor

The Abundance and Wealth Site
The Most Recent Abundance and Wealth Featured Article

Sharon's Power To Succeed Blog

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Sharon,
Sadly, the Chinese seem to be steering away from traditions in present day. There is a large demand for Western culture in China. But one thing that sticks out to be as being encouraging is the mascots. Beibei, JingJing, HuanHuan, YingYing, and NiNi are the 5 mascots of the 2008 Beijing Olympics. BeiBei is a fish, JingJing is a panda, HuanHuan is fire, YingYing is an antelope, and NiNi is a swallow. Antelopes, swallows, fish, and pandas are all traditional Chinese animals. All together, the mascots are said to represent the 5 Wu Xing (traditional Chinese elements) . This is encouraging!

Combined, the mascot's names form the phrase "Bei Jing Huan Ying Ni", which means "Beijing welcomes you" in Mandarin. I think that's adorable smile

As for everything else concerned with the Olympics, that seems to be the only "traditional" aspect to it. I guess we'll have to see what they have up their sleves. I am sure it will be spectacular no matter what.

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.