Next Thread
Print Thread
#382193 02/27/08 08:08 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I know martial arts isn't all about self defense smile But I figured this was the best forum to ask this in.

If a woman is alone in a parking lot and is being threatened, what is the best way for her to defend herself assuming she can't just run? Keys between the fingers?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Shark
Shark
C
That's a tough question Lisa. I would say it depends upon the situation. Keys are an option but even if those aren't available, almost anything at hand can be used as a means of self-defense.

The key to self-defense is really to first catch your attacker offguard. A lot of times practicing self-defense is hard because self-defense is about 2 factors:
1) catching your opponent off guard to gain the upper hand
2) put aside elegance for focusing on the immediate concern, getting away

The converse is the same as well: If you are caught off guard, you're in a worse position and if you focus on trying to be elegant about your attack rather than focusing on the objective of getting away you may miss an opportunity.

Those are my thoughts.

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
S
Amoeba
Amoeba
S
I would love to learn Martial Arts only for self defense.

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Right I definitely think everyone should know the basics of self defense to be able to even try to keep themselves safe. And everyone should be in shape enough to at least run away a short while.

They say to kick at the kneecaps, that they are very vulnerable and you don't need to be strong to hurt them. So I would probably try to kick and then flee ...

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
C
Shark
Shark
C
It's actually quite hard to kick the kneecaps. If you kick at the wrong part and they have particularly strong shins, you end up hurting yourself moreso than them.

Sorry my answer was so vague Lisa but it really does depend on the situation. Let's say they are behind you or grabbing you from in front. One of the best things is if you can to actually stomp their foot as hard as you can. 1) the shock factor of getting hit there is often very high if you don't expect it, 2) it's an easier target to know if you've hit it or not.

If they grabbed your arm or purse is another situation. One thing you could do is a hard slap on where they are grabbing you. Again, the shock value of getting hit often leads to people reacting by opening up their hands.

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
C
Shark
Shark
C
Originally Posted By: sean009
I would love to learn Martial Arts only for self defense.

There are actually a lot of schools which focus on just that. I recall a few that came up right after 9/11 and were specifically for flight attendants. Local YMCA's and other such organizations also tend to run self-defense specific Martial Arts. And of course, most schools and disciplines will teach self defense along the way.

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
My grandson is taking kick boxing, is that like martial arts??

Rosie L
C
Shark
Shark
C
Hi Skyhaven,

Yes. Kickboxing can be a form of Martial Arts. Many kickboxers come from very strong Martial Arts backgrounds. It's not "one" form by itself as the participants are from many different styles (some aren't even from Martial Arts originally but rather a boxing background). In fact, one of the best known kickboxers of our time, Don "the Dragon" Wilson, belongs to the Pai Lum Tao family and trained under GrandMaster Pai.

How long has he been practicing? Have you gotten to see any of his matches yet?

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
For a simple system I recommend Krav Maga for a self defense base. The system is very simple and uses natural instinct and simple moves to take down an assailant. This art also focuses on defense against knives and guns.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Mother's Day Gift Ideas to Sew
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/24/24 06:08 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.