Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
With China's new policies on children, their culture is changing dramatically!! A new study shows that 42% of all families in China is now an older couple without any kids at home.

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Interestingly, China's fertility rate from 2003 - 2007 is pretty stable around 1.7 - meaning it's less than 2 - meaning they are "losing population" over time. Which in my book is a very good thing, given how crowded they are. Wouldn't it be great if they got down to a level where there was enough land and food for everybody, and then maintained stable at that point?

They are #158 out of 217 countries -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
This is wonderful news, Lisa. Learning that truly makes me happy and restores my faith that the world will be ok in the long run. smile

But on the same token, the fact that so many older couples are left without anyone to care for them is heartbreaking. I want to adopt all of them. hehe

Last edited by Heather - Chinese Culture; 03/08/08 01:56 PM.

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well it actually made me happy in the sense that they are finding local couples to "adopt" - which works out well for everyone. The young couples have wiser people to talk with and gain from, and the elderly people have young people to take care of them. So everybody gains from it.

And really the "overbalance" right now is only a temporary thing, as the population settles into its new shape. In a relatively short while, once that older population ages and passes away, they will settle down into a much more even distribution. So yes they definitely have to find solutions while they go through this phase but then everything will get so much better in terms of available food, available resources, housing size and so on.

Low Carb Forum
Gecko
Gecko
Right. I know what you mean. Knowing that young people still care about and respect the elderly to a degree is promising and encouraging. I have thought about what things will be like when I am older and the generation coming into the world today will be taking "care" of our generation. The thought is a bit scary considering how young people today treat their elders. That will be passed down to their children and the cycle starts over. So knowing that youngsters do still care to some extent makes me happy.

Last edited by Heather - Chinese Culture; 03/08/08 02:10 PM.

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.