Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Okay, I've heard this before, about cooking the collard greens with bacon - but I just don't get it. How can that be healthy???

Anybody have any recipes to share? I'd love to try this.

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
Sardines have 371mg of calcium for 3 oz compared to 300mg in a cup of milk.

Calcium is also best taken as a supplement in small doses as you body only absorbs about 300mg at a time. Also, did you know that drinking 12oz of a cola drink robs your body of about 100mg of calcium?

Here's some non-dairy calcium sources and calcium facts

BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Alrighty! I've got my collard greens and bacon! I'm still wondering how this can possibly be healthy? Any thoughts anyone!! How about a great recipe?

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
There are rack things to cook bacon on so that the fat drips away and you're left with just the meat, which makes it reasonably healthy.

I think usually for collard greens you in essence boil them for a half hour to an hour in chicken broth. I can have Bob make some up for me in the next few days, usually I just order those at a BBQ restaurant when we're out smile But we should eat them more often!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
Speaking of calcium, I was appalled to learn recently that I was taking my calcium pills "all wrong" for months and months.

I love broccoli, yogurt and cheese as a source of calcium but I still wasn't getting enough. I decided to take two 400 mg calcium pills daily. I took both pills with breakfast. Then I read that you can't absorb more than about 500 mg of calcium at a time. And the excess could clog your arteries! Is this true?

I keep imagining a hardening in my arteries....ugh!

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I'm glad to hear so many people like collard greens, but be careful with the fat to flavor. Bacon, pulled pork, butter...

I'm advocating a plant based diet like the one Dr. Joel Furhman recommends to his patients to reverse and prevent degenerative diseases. It is high fiber, 45+ grams a day and low fat, under 20 grams. You'd probably knock out half your fat grams for the day with collard greens & bacon smile

A better option is collard greens raw in a smoothie or steamed with vinegar, sea salt and spices.

You need some kind of fat to break down the greens. Try some olive oil and if you want the bacon flavor, use the imitation bacon bits, they really have a good flavor. You can also use vegetable or beef stock to cook them in. Remove the stems of the greens, roll the leaf up then slice. This gives you thin strips to boil and they break down faster.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
E
Koala
Koala
E
I cannot imagine cooking any vegetable for an hour! We like ours stir fried for just a couple of minutes, or steamed for less than five minutes. Veges must crunch!

Elle Carter Neal
BellaOnline Alumna
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
If you have a quality blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix the greens will be completely liquid and therefore easy to digest.

Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
I don't agree that calcium should be taken as a supplement. We don't need massive amounts of calcium, we just need a lot more exercise, and quality food sources...greens, beans, dried fruits.

People are going by the USDA food pyramid for calcium requirements and that thing has been put together by lobbyists in the food industries...how do you think we now require 3 servings of milk a day? The dairy industry lobbyists got that requirement up there.

Read my article on the Dairy Industry

Last edited by Gretchen-Holistic Health; 03/05/08 11:59 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Teresa - Holistic Health 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.