logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I am 23-years-old and sadly, I have never had a "job" in the traditional sense of the word. I've searched for jobs and it seems that all employers want people with work experience. How am I supposed to gain experience if I can't find a job? I'm starting to panic!

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Heather, I'm speaking here as a recruiter, and I always recommend this to my juniors and moms returning to work. The best way to get some experience is to work as a volunteer in your chosen field. Most charities are always crying out for people to assist, and are happy to provide references for you. You will find that charities are after people in all areas - from helping in stores, to doing office work, event organisation and fund raising.

I hope that this helpw

Megan McConnell
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
So, volunteering at BellaOnline could boast my career in journalism some day?

Heather J. Hasan
Chinese Culture Editor & CC Forum Moderator
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I am no expert Heather, but Yes I think it most certainly would.

Best tho is to belive in yourself. What are you good at? you may not think it is much, but to someone who can't do those skills it could be a lifesaver!
I started out, after the school runs as going back to school to get an Education (Idid not have anything at all) Then I cleaned my friends houses.
I know if you have children and even if you don't, offering to help in school is also good experiance and you can be offered a legitimate job, because of the volentary work you have put in. Charity shops are good for this too. Then they pay for you to train too, sometimes. I know schools definatly do, cos thats what I do now!
You are amazing. There is only one Heather in the whole world! AND your an editor of Chinese Culture in a mag read by 2 million! thats awesome! smile

Last edited by Eng Culture Nicola Jane; 03/08/08 01:10 PM.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
I agree! Nearly everyone has experience of school cos nearly everyone has been there!

Then, you can write about your new experiences to make some extra dollars too!

F
F
If you're starting out and don't have relevant work experience, it can be tough to convince an employer to hire you, but there are ways that you can build up your skills and experience and demonstrate that you're a good choice for the job. And you may discover you have the skills employers desire!

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Amoeba
Amoeba
Another way to show what you know is to use what's called a "functional" resume, rather than the traditional chronological one. The functional resume uses full sentences to explain your marketable skills, and each skill's "proof" can be pulled from multiple jobs.

D
D
Hi Heather J. Hasan, This is always a matter of concern when age strikes and sometimes we go on to choose something that is not right for us. For a better career, I think experience is needed but experience comes only when we start doing a job. I think you should consult some recruitment agencies as they have good communications with the companies and they are in touch with the current openings. For more information , you can have a look atBellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

A
A
Hi Heather,

There is a lot of rich advice in all the above posts. I'm sure you have more experience than you give yourself credit for.

After reading through the "overview" on becoming a BellaOnline Editor (and you are an Editor), why not take advantage of some of the possibilities, such as:

* Build a resume from which to write your own book or be published in magazines or newspapers.
* Cross-sell and promote commercial work.
* Gain experience and free training on how to be successful on the web.

Lots of money can be made on the Web these days with hosting your own website, Affiliate Marketing, and many more. You just need to find your niche.

Good luck!

Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Yes, I agree, that's very good advice.

In fact, it's excactly what I'm doing! If you are in the lucky position of not having to rush, you may have the time to teach yourself with an online course - that way you can create a job for yourself with starting an online business.

I can honestly recommend the affiliate marketing business course I'm on.

N
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
N
That was my problem when I first started to look for a job when I was seventeen years old. That made me so furious! Except for becoming an Avon seller (just 1 campaign then i quit) and door to door getting appointments for a woman taking pictures in a studio (did that only for a few hours) I could not get anything until dad started his company and gave me a job.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Definitely volunteering is a wonderful way to help your community and to build resume experience at the same time. It also builds up your list of references you can use.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dianne W - Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.