Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
naz Offline OP
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
N
So within the last 5 days I've heard twice on TV comments that really upset me and one directly to me yesterday. I can't mention this to my husband or he'll say I'm too sensitive. So hear goes to you all instead.

1. "What About Jim" TV show. They are trying to get their mother to move in with them and their 3 kids instead of with their sibling and spouse who do not have kids. They say "Don't you want to move in here Mom instead of with x in their cold childless home." Of course by the end of the show the couple w/o kids announced they were pregnant.

2. News this morning. They are interviewing some radio DJs and the one guy said it is better to have 15 kids than no kids at all. WTF.

3. Went to the dentist yesterday morning. I was telling her about our leaving on a snowboarding trip tomorrow morning. She asks if we are taking any kids with us. I said no. She goes, "oh that's right you don't have any kids. Not yet anyways." I let it go since I don't really want to discuss my stance with someone I see twice a year.

I just can't believe people make these comments without even thinking. It's especially irritating when it's on TV. No wonder everyone thinks they must have kids to be happy and that there is something wrong with someone who decides to remain CF. People tend to believe what they see on TV is true so of course they are going to think that way. Just really pisses me off. Thanks for letting me vent.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
P
Gecko
Gecko
P
1. Mom, why don't you move in here and be an unpaid slave/babysitter to our three screaming brats? If you move into the other place you'll have quiet and free time, and that would never do ...

2. How the hell would he know - does he have 15? Doubt it. Give that man a Darwin award.

3. Not yet anyways. Not ever, kthx.(Tee hee. I know soemthing you don't).

See, this is why I don't watch that much TV, stuff like this would make me want to take a chainsaw to the box. But you are right in that people make the comments "without even thinking" - just another side effect of the pro-natal society.

"baaa"

Last edited by Pikasam; 03/05/08 11:30 AM.

Childfree? Join us at www.thechildfreelife.com.
A
Shark
Shark
A
Don't take it to heart.

If the show is focused around a family unit, the writers write from the point of view that their demographic is family-oriented.

Most good shows have died once they introduce a child. (Friends, Mad About You, Murphy Brown, to name a few, I'm sure you all can think of more.) Usually it's a last-ditch effort to save the show, that's where idiots get the idea that a child can save a marriage! That's why I tend not to watch those shows.

I tell people that there is more to life than having children when they try to bingo me. I won't stand for it.

Gecko
Gecko
Aparently 'cold childless home' means stable and serene. I did not realize that.

...the cake is a lie...the cake is a lie...the cake is a lie...
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Naz, I am sorry, How insensitive.

I also agree with Pikasam's comment about asking the grand parent to move in for the babysitting!

Try not to let it all get to you. YOU are happy inside, thats all that matters, not matter what anyone else thinks!

People always judge what they do not understand.

Last edited by Eng Culture Nicola Jane; 03/05/08 01:30 PM.

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Parakeet
Parakeet
Maybe we should write a translation dictionary to help the pro-natalist hordes!

Cold Childless home: stable, serene environment with no free-babysitting clause in the lease.

People who say things like "15 is better than none": Darwin award candidate in desperate need of sterilization

People who say "Not yet" without knowing their audience well: closed-minded idiots

Willfully Barren: Smart enough to choose the best life for oneself

Sorry, I'm just feeling snarky. I'll try to behave later.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Oh, please don't behave Myrabeth. You're much more fun in snark mode.
------------
According to Jim is such a stupid show. They make comments like that all the time. I can't even make myself watch it. Their life is nothing like the life I live or have ever wanted to live.
------------
On what planet is having 15 kids better than none? The Darwin award--priceless!
------------
When my husband and I had our condo appraised (we were selling) the appraiser came in and looked around. She was very unprofessional--actually brought a friend with her--and commented on our home decor (it's a little unusual) as well as the large wedding portraits and couple portraits we had (still have, actually) around the house. She laughed at the ring bearer pillow and kneeling cushion that was on my bed, the weddign album on the dresser.

"Look at all these pictures of the two of you," she finally told me (laughing), giving me that I know better than you look. "All those will come down when the babies arrive."

I was so angry. Even if we wanted kids, why should we take our pictures down in order to put baby pictures up? Are we no longer important?

I wanted to say something so bad, but she seemed small-minded and a low class (unkempt, etc.) and she'd already made it clear our black/white/red modern decorated home wasn't her cuppa and we needed a good appraisal for the sale, so I shut up. I just wish I could have said something to her. 13 1/2 years later, it still angers me.

Last edited by Cherry Red; 03/05/08 02:04 PM.

"The world might be considerably poorer if the great writers had exchanged their books for children of flesh and blood." ~Virginia Woolfe
Gecko
Gecko
LOL! 15 kids better than none? I love my girls and wouldn't trade or wish them away for the world, but I can only guess that the person who made that statement had never had 15 little bottoms to diaper and 15 baby bottles to warm or sat up all night with one newborn only to get one settled and the other wakes up! Plus, he must assume that people have endless financial resources.

P
Gecko
Gecko
P
Originally Posted By: myrabeth
Willfully Barren: Smart enough to choose the best life for oneself

Sorry, I'm just feeling snarky. I'll try to behave later.

Please don't. You snark awesome. It makes me giggle :-)

Childfree? Join us at www.thechildfreelife.com.
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
Wow, those comments are all sickening!

As for According to Jim... I can't stand family-oriented sitcoms. Even when I was a kid my favourite shows were Three's Company, Cheers, Night Court, Mary Tyler Moore (those were in reruns)... all stuff that DID NOT REVOLVE AROUND A BORING LITTLE FAMILY UNIT. Oh, I also liked Kate & Allie... a non-traditional family show. I can't stand the traditional family shows, they are all the same -- the wife is perfect-looking and humourless and always right and annoying. The husband is always a schlub. PUKE. Plus According to Jim falls in that category with Still Standing and King of Queens: the gorgeous supermodel married to the fat guy. Although I need to mention at this point that I actually like King of Queens... probably because there are no boring little kids!

Last edited by Pinecone; 03/05/08 02:15 PM.

Simone de Beauvoir dismissed motherhood as, "...'a strange mixture of narcissism, altruism, idle daydreaming, sincerity, bad faith, devotion and cynicism."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.