Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#383275 02/28/08 06:23 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We don't use dryer sheets because I can be allergic to those sorts of things. But a few days ago we washed a throw - I think it was flannel? - and a few other things. I was trying to separate out the throw from the other things and it was literally like I was handling a giant pile of electric eels. I was being shocked - hard - repeatedly. I had to drop the pile and get my boyfriend to do it. It was a killer!!

Someone said to wash them with vinegar I think - does this really help??

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Tiger
Tiger
I've heard of vinegar for color but not for static.

I'm assuming you use a dryer. The static builds up the last few minutes when the dry clothes continue to rub over one another. If you can't use a softener then you might want to try removing your clothing 5 minutes earlier than you normally do so they are damp and then let them hang to dry on a drying rack.

There is also a new "sensitive" sheet on the market you might want to give a try. I don't know the name of it but I think it's by Bounce.

I have not used these but theres also Static Eliminator Re-Usable dryer sheets.

Another option is to continue to let DB do it. shocked

Zebra
Zebra
Yes, Bounce does make a dye and perfume free dryer sheet. I've been using them for a few months now. Love them!

But, there are other allergen-free liquid softeners you can put on a rag & toss in the dryer, too.

I hate, hate, hate static electricity! It hurts!

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yes it was just SO incredibly painful, it was amazing. I didn't think a piece of fabric could get that nasty.

OK I will look for the Bounce solution and give that a try! I normally don't think of myself as being that sensitive but for example I recently got a french Lilac soap from Avon to try and after I used it my entire back and shoulders were covered with a rash. I don't know what they put into that soap but it doesn't agree with me!!

Thanks for the ideas!

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK we were actually out of the house shopping yesterday (We were "mall walking" to help my boyfriend's bad back) and I got some dryer balls -

http://www.amazon.com/Dryer-Max-DB-MC12-Set-Balls/dp/B000E202KM

Has anybody tried these? I thought they might be a good no-allergy alternative. I'm seeing now that the review says you need to use more than 2 for it to really work, so maybe I'll have to get more of them ...

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
Pop in a ball of aluminium foil when you dry your clothes. It should disharge the static each time it touched your clothing. I saw this on ehow and it worked for when I tried it. Use a ball about the size of a tennis ball. Drying on low will also help.

Hair condition will do the same thing as fabric softener, too. Just mix it thin and watery. The site I saw this one said 10 to one ratio of water to conditioner. I just eyeballed it when I tried it out. Seemed to do a decent job.

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Yikes is that safe?? I was worried about all that static electricity in the dryer in the first place, thinking it could start a fire or something.

OK I just looked all over the web and can't find any dangers of aluminum balls. Lots of people apparently do it. I'll have to give it a try! I did find many sites that say dryer lint is very flammable so I'll have to make extra sure I clear that all out.

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
I was worried to death, too. As long as it is crumpled tightly and you use low heat, you should be fine. The dryer itself is metal, zippers are metal, and buttons...and so on.

Hair conditioner does the same thing as fabric softener, coats the fibers. Might be a better bet if you are worried about fire, I know I haven't done the ball thing very often only in real need.

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OH you know you're right, there are already metal zippers and buttons going around in there. I didn't think about that. So a ball shouldn't be that bad ...

I think I'll do some laundry today smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK We're using the blue spiky balls plus an aluminum foil ball now. The clothes do seem softer and less static-ey than usual, but there is still some static. Maybe we need a larger ball or two of them ...

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.