Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
R
My husband is trying to reduce his salt intake. It can be a bit challenging to find recipes that are flavorful by themselves and don't require the addition of salt. I know much of it is what you get used to so maybe time will make some dishes tastier. However, in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions (or low salt recipes) for reducing salt in your diet?

Thanks!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I love Mrs. Dash seasonings. They are salt-free and come in a variety of flavors! I use them on veggies, eggs, soups, casseroles, etc.

Donna smile

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
Right definitely the key thing I would say here is that you very quickly get used to lower salt levels, so that things still "taste salty" even though they have less salt in them. So don't worry too much long term. Just focus on the short term.

On thing we've found is it makes a huge difference how you cook the food. For example say before you marinated in a ton of salt. Now say instead that you marinate in no salt but right before serving you sprinkle a few big-grain salt crystals (sea salt) on it. Your tongue tastes that salt on the outside and gets the same "salty flavor" but in reality the volume of salt you're ingesting is FAR less. So just the placement of salt on the outside layer where it'll hit the tongue can be so key.

Also if you go for any dish that is spicy - say a super oregano dish - than you'll get all that oregano flavor and not even notice any "lack of salt". If there's a lot of flavor - any flavor - you taste that. For example if you love garlic and the dish is really garlicky then you appreciate that without worrying about there being salt or no salt.

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
Need to include others fresh seasoning such as pepper, garlic and fresh spice (rosemary, parsley, cilantro, ginger, etc.) I recommend fresh whenever possible as it tastes much better than dry spices.

My fiance had to reduce salt in his diet years ago and a large part of it is just getting used to eating less salt (changing the taste buds). Now if he eats anything with a lot of salt in it he can't tolerate it.

If you are going to use any salt at all I suggest using either Kosher or Sea Salt - you get more saltiness with less salt and additives.

A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
LOL, I was just getting ready to log on and suggest Mrs. Dash after I saw this post in the latest messages forum box.

Also, you can use salt free and low sodium canned diced tomatoes, soups, chicken and beef broths, etc.

I had no idea how much salt a can of soup had. I now look for ones that have reduced salt.

Good luck! smile

J
Amoeba
Amoeba
J
I agree that training yourself and your tastebuds to adapt to less salt is a great start. I grew up in a household where hardly any was used and am very senstive to high levels of salt. Other tricks besides using reduced sodium items or salt free seasonings is working with different spices to evoke new and more powerful flavors. For meats, many spice rubs do not contain any salt. One I love to use is ground cumin, dark brown sugar, garlic powder and chili powder mixed with some Worcestershire sauce. Other great suggestions are using olive oil, garlic and fresh rosemary and thyme for just about anything, meats, vegetables, etc. Oh and if using salt is habitual, don't put a shaker on the table!

Jill Valente
Healthy Foods
A
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
A
Jill, those sound soooo good. I'm going to try them next time I cook meat.

Thank you! smile

I don't add salt to any of my foods. and also use mrs dash.
i also look for low sodium,
does any one use sea salt?
is that o.k to use, is it healthier for you?

Rosie L
I use sea salt and find that it is much milder than regular salt - but, I do not use it all the time. I use herbs a lot to flavor my foods and find I do not miss the salty taste. Savory is a really good herb to use as seasoning.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
Zebra
Zebra
I agree with all these flavor substitutions. But, one of the easiest ways to reduce sodium is to read labels and stay away from processed and restaurant meals.

Most convenience foods rely heavily on salt, fat and sugar (or a combination thereof) to make them palatable.

And, restaurants do the same to their food. Of course, in nicer restaurants, you can request no salt, but in many places, most of the sauces are premade (even if on the same day) so the salt is already there, and many of the ingredients in them have added salt, too.

R
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
R
Wow! Thanks for the great tips and information!! This all seems very possible now.

I have not previously read labels looking for sodium content so I checked a few labels tonight. Sodium is in everything..even in sodas!

Thanks again!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Megan-Healthy Foods 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.