Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#385536 03/03/08 09:48 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
When I was growing up I had friends of many different religions. One friend was devoutly Catholic, one was a Jehovah's Witness, several were Protestants, and many were Jewish. I went with my Catholic friend to a weekend, I went with the Jehovah's Witness to a meeting, and so on - but I was never invited by my Jewish friends to any event. I dated a Jewish boy for a full year and we did have holiday dinners with the traditions, but it was never even suggested that I look further into the faith. To be honest I always got the sense from my friends that you were born Jewish and that was it.

I wonder if this is in part why Jewish population rates have remained steady - that it is primarily Jewish children who grow up to be Jewish. Are non Jewish people ever allowed to take on the Jewish faith? Is it just that they are not as open about this option as other faiths are? Or is it something specific about my set of friends?

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
I think there is an issue with some Jewish people being clannish or even conceited actually, but only the some, some are more open and you can become Jewish by faith, Lisa.

My grandmother is Jewish on her fathers side, and when I found out I went to a friend who was half Jewish and asked him about it, what it meant to be Jewish, etc, and he basically looked down on me and told me I was not Jewish enough for him to discus it with me! frown

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
Nicola - I'm not sure that is the reaction you would receive from most Jews. What it means to be Jewish is a very personal question and can even put some people on the defensive - I believe - because, when they think about it, they do not know why they do the things that they do. They only "do them" because they are Jewish.

Traditional Jews believe that Jewish decent occurs from the maternal side of the family. It is the mother who passes on "Judaism". Other sects of Judaism go by the paternal or maternal sides of the family.

Also, in terms of converting to Judaism, traditional Jews believe you must convert under Orthodox supervision. An individual interested in converting must ask three times before they are "allowed" to convert. I suppose, it is in order to ensure that this is really what the individual wants.

Judaism does not - unlike many other religions - attempt to bring other individuals into the religion. But, a Jew is a Jew and once a person converts - that person "was always a Jewish person".

I believe - as in any religion or ethnic group - there are some people who remain within their own community and do not mix with other groups - for many different reasons. But, that does not include everyone.

If you still have questions, I am sure that people on this board will be willing to have the conversation with you!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Thankyou smile

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

Shark
Shark
Nicely answered Lisa!

I know several people who have converted to Judaism. It's not easy to do. (And it can be costly, too. Rabbi's in the NY area will charge for their services.) It is recommended that you convert under Orthodox supervision so that your conversion will be recognized by all sects of Judaism, but there are Conservative and Reform Rabbis that will assist with conversion. If you convert with a Reform Rabbi, Orthodox Jews will not consider you Jewish. So it is important to know why you are converting and if you care about what branch of Judaism you will be practicing.

I live in a town that is a total melting pot. Many families have one Jewish spouse and one non Jewish spouse. Our Reform Temple thrives. The presidents of the Temple have included a former Quaker, a former Catholic, and is a former Orthodox Jew. In all three cases, these people married someone that was a different religion and decided to raise their children Jewish.

I know a lot of Jewish people, and I socialize with a lot of Jewish people. But I also socialize with a lot of non Jewish people (Best friend= Hispanic). One of the reasons that I may socialize with a lot of Jewish people may be that I actively practice my religion. I meet a lot of Jewish people that way, and we become friends. We connect and meet their friends, and the chain grows. Doesn't that happen in churches?

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Right it definitely makes sense that if you regularly go to a group that believes a certain way that many of your friends will be from that group smile Or when I worked in the biotech industry I had many friends who were scientists.

It sounds like the Jewish religion is much more serious about making sure you're a good fit before you "join" where other religions sort of let you wander in and out and test the waters. But if being Jewish is a life-long designation then I can see why that matters so much. I'm not sure this is the best analogy but it sprung to mind, it's probably like getting a tattoo vs getting a henna drawing on your hand. A henna drawing can be washed away after a short while - but a tattoo will be with you for life and you should really give it serious thought before taking that step.

Low Carb Forum
L
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
L
I love that analogy!

Lisa Pinkus

Moms Site
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I hesitated because I'm pretty sure Jewish people are against tattoos right? So I didn't want to offend anybody, but it was what came to mind and it seemed to fit.

Low Carb Forum
B
Gecko
Gecko
B
Hi Lisa:

That is very kind of you to be sensitive - yes, Jews are against tatoos, but of course the individual makes up their own mind. I know Conservatives & Orthodox are against getting tattoos.

F
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
F
Lisa, as an Orthodox Jew it didn't occur to me to be offended till you just mentioned it. So apology accepted ;-)
(Please, all, that was a joke intended in good spirits.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.