Print Thread
#380056 02/23/08 06:25 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Hi Everyone,

My family recently adopted a new dog. She's about a year old, and is some kind of chihuaha mix. She's very sweet, not too neurotic, and is blending into the family quite well.

I was wondering if anyone had any little chihuahua tips to share?

Deanna Joseph

Visit the New Age Site and Forums

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Zebra
Zebra
These dogs have got the character of a dog ten times their size, and can be feisty, and rule the roost.
You need to ensure that the dog will know its place within the hierarchy of the family.
Of all the aggression problems I get asked about, the majority are with small dogs... and quite a proporion of those are Chihuahuas.
"Not Too neurotic"? What do you mean by this, exactly?
Already, I'm a little concerned for you....

I'm a Dog behaviourist.
Like Cesar Millan?
But better.
Why?
I'm here, and I'm free, aren't I?? grin

I have recently counselled a home with four dogs: One Labrador, one Pit Bull terrier, one St Bernard, and a Chihuahua. Guess who was the leader?
Everybody thinks that because they're small, and cute, they'll be easy to handle.
Don't be fooled.
They're ferocious when roused, are perfectly able - and willing - to inflict a nasty bite when they choose to, and have a very dominant attitude.
This doesn't admittedly, always show up as aggression.
At times, it's just constant jumping around, noise, and attention-seeking.
There are very good reasons for this.
And excellent remedies.

You don't say how long you've had her, but it takes dogs about a week or two to settle into their new environment, before their temperament settles down.
If you have any questions or problems, feel free to ask, or PM me. Don't hesitate.
If you would like some help, with anything, I'll need to know how many members in your family, how many children, and ages, and whether you have any other pets, specifically dogs. What kind of environment you live in is sometimes a factor... Town, city? Apartment? Big house, big garden? That kind of thing....

Better to get things sorted now, than to have to seek remedies later.
Be well.
With Metta, Alex

Last edited by Alexandra; 02/24/08 03:31 AM.
Alexandra #380721 02/24/08 08:22 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Hi Alexandra,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful post. Today our little newcomer will be with us for 8 days. And she is doing so great!

I was just watching her play with our lab. They seem to have a really good time together. I watch them closely because I am concerned my bigger dog will hurt her, even if it's unintentional.

She hasn't shown any dominant behaviour so far. In fact, she tends to roll over at the drop of a hat into the submissive posture LOL.

She is as cute as it gets, and I can see how easy it would be to spoil her LOL.

As far as being "neurotic," I'll just have to take that back LOL. I had heard that chihuahuas could be very neurotic, but she just seems very good natured and friendly.

I couldn't be more pleased ::: whew ::: especially when I hear people say "YOU got a chihuahua???" LOL

Thanks again!

Deanna Joseph

What are your Soul Gifts? Discover your true nature and potential, and learn who you are on a Soul Level with a Soul Realignmentâ„¢ reading.

Zebra
Zebra
Well, I am delighted for you and long may it continue truly.... It's early days yet so if you do get any issues that begin to concern you, feel free to PM me. Honestly.
Chihuahuas are small, but they're a lot tougher than they look.
And this submissive posture... caution... it may be her way of seing if she an get you to go "aaaaah!" and tickle her tummy.... to pay attention to her.... and then she'll know she can conrol your responses by asking you to pay homage to her.
She's testing the waters to see if you'll be good Pack followers....If your habitual rection is to pay attention to her, or any of the above.... she's learning that she can put you where she wants you....

I know that seems manipulative, but really, it isn't. It's what dogs do. It's a complex psychology, but one that never, ever ceases to amaze me...

Alexandra #381088 02/25/08 03:55 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Tiger
Ah.... I had no idea. SO the little cutie-pie is maximizing her cuteness factor to the fullest. I'll watch that then.

I can understand that things would seem good now, as she's so new to our family. I'll definately email you if anything comes up. I want our doggy family to remain in harmony with the humans wink

Deanna Joseph

Zebra
Zebra
Feel free.
Hope everything goes well with you all.
Wih Metta,
Alex

Moderated by  Bettina-Dogs/Herbs Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.