Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
A
I'm always on the lookout for new things I can use for processing fleece, and wandered into my local pet store yesterday looking for something like a large metal cow comb that did not have those turning teeth and found, tada:
a long-haired cat detangling brush!
This looks like a much smaller version of the traditional wool comb with steel teeth at a right angle and what appears to be a very tough handle so it can be clamped firmly onto your work surface. Its even a really nice bright pink. The front of the teeth are wavy and have been sharpened, but its only a minutes work to dull the blades so it can be used with fleece, and what a difference it makes!
First off I run the fleece through that, then through a blending comb I have made from several afro combs screwed onto a piece of wood (the original instructions for this were on a blog that has now been wiped), and end up with a lovely roving thats far nicer than I was getting just using a dog comb. The short bits then get fluffed up and go through my drum carder a couple of times and make a lovely fluffy batt.
Its an American brand (I threw the wrapper away, grrr!), so you guys should have no trouble finding one locally.
Cheers, Caroline in Australia

Last edited by AussieSpinner; 11/02/07 10:02 PM.

There is no such thing as too much fibre, just not enough storage space.
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Caroline,

What a great ideas! Thanks for sharing them.

These combs are available in the grooming supply aisle at pet shops in the States and are billed as "Mat Combs".

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I had wondered about those too but could not seem to make up my mind. I think I will get some. I currently only have dog brushes that I use as combs.

Sheri

Sheri Ann Richerson
Water Gardens
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Sheri,
The dog brushes would work well as cards but not combs. For combing, all your really need is is a pet comb. Just take a lock of wool, comb one end and then flip the lock over and comb the other end. A regular hair comb will work too as long as you keep the locks fairly small. For the best spinning, be sure to keep your combed locks all in the same direction - tip ends to tip ends, butt ends to butt ends. If you plan to use the yarn as a singles, spin from the butt end of the locks. This will reduce the hairiness of the yarn. If you plan to ply the yarn, spin from the tip end so so the yarns are plied from the butt end. This gives a final chance to smooth down any stray hairs.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
S
S
Hi all,
I love combed locks to spin, however I find that for plyed yarn I prefer to spin from the butt end first, this is because the fibre is more slippery to draft and I don't smooth the yarn in spinning,(I use roll back technique to ensure even yarns) By smoothing the yarn in plying I am actually using the roughness of the bent scales to join the two singles together, I find that this gives a much more finished look to the yarn, rather than it looking like two singles that are twisted together.

Sue Macniven
World record spinner & Advanced fly caster
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Spinning combed yarn from the butt end does give the finished yarn a smoother appearance. I like to spin the singles from the butt end then wind them onto storage bobbins so they are also plied from the butt end.

Llyn - Spinning Editor
S
S
Hi all,
I have just posted a video clip on youtube of wool combing Shetland wool using mini combs if anyone is interested.

Sue Macniven
World record spinner & Advanced fly caster
O
O
Thanks to Sue and others for posting video tips on youtube. I have a program called Miro that allows me to subscribe to spinning videos on youtube, so when I turn on miro, it will show me the ones I haven't seen and organize them into a little "library" for me. I set this up when I first lucked onto a wheel, and it helped give me a general idea of what to do. Of course, at first I have had the lumpiest, bumpiest overtwisted stuff, but now, thanks to experienced people, both online and off, I'm starting to spin respectable singles. Starting. Of course, I will revert, but that's part of learning too.

Just thought posting a special thanks for the video assistance was in order.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.