Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#377135 02/19/08 12:03 PM
T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
St. Patrick's Day is fast approaching. In modern Ireland, it has moved away from being a religious holiday to a more secular remembrance, even celebrated by non Catholics ( as it only used to be) and even non religious people.
Do you have some special memories of how your family celebrates St Patrick's Day? Do you have special plans for this year? Or how do you think the Patron Saint of Ireland should be remembered?

Tony King
irishculture
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
BellaOnline Editor
I've always loved St. Patrick's Day, it seems to be the main day that everybody celebrates the Irish culture.

I know it's not an authentic Irish dish but I admit to forcing my boyfriend to make me corned beef & cabbage for the day and then eating it for a solid week, I'm in pure bliss smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
One of my red haired, blue eyed Irish sons demands corned beef and cabbage for St. Pat's, which I'm only too happy to oblige. I love it, too. Unfortunately, my son's Hungarian stepfather can't stand the stuff so I have to cook 2 dinners that day! Oh well, it's only once a year.

BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
We do actually have it at other times of the year too, but it's a must-have on this night smile

Low Carb Forum
D
D
St. Patricks day is celebrated in my town with every pubb having corn beef and cabbage out in the open and green beer all around...people pinching you if you arent wearing something green! I dont think that many people really know the true meaning of the holiday here in america unless they are Truly Irish.

Zebra
Zebra
It's an interesting thing to research - my boyfriend grew up in New York City with an Irish stepfather. According to him, there was no "real Irish" St. Patrick's Day. The Irish didn't really celebrate it. It was an American holiday, for Irish people who came here to remember their Irish roots. It's only now that it is so popular in the US that it's now being celebrated more in Ireland too smile

Sort of like how Corned Beef & Cabbage is an American dish, but because so many Americans went back to Ireland and asked for it, now they serve it in Ireland too smile

Lisa Shea, Computer / Console Games Editor
Computer / Console Games Forum
T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
THanks LIsa----

Actually growing up in Belfast in the 50's and 60's "corn beef and cabbage" (as it was miscalled) was quite a common meal.

Corned Beef was a cheap cut of meat then and a family could eat well with the added boiled cabbage with butter added and potatoes cooked in their jackets.

Cabbage with lots of butter was one of the vegetables that most kids WOULD eat then !!LOL

Tony King
irishculture
T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
Helen---

THanks for your post.

Experience with people coming for dinner on St Patrick's Day has proven to me that people either love it or hate it !!LOL

But once you like it----- it's worth making several times a year-----and cfold corned beef with the fat trimmed makes a great cold sandwich as well.

Tony

Tony King
irishculture
T
Amoeba
OP Offline
Amoeba
T
HI Darlingirishgirl---

THanks for your post.

LOts of pubs seem to do that --the pinching I have never understood .
ANd yes---most people have no idea about the true nature of the holiday.

TOny

Tony King
irishculture
BellaOnline Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Tony - but was it really corned beef? Are you sure it wasn't another cut of meat? From what I understand the Irish dish had ham, I think, and it was only when they came to the US that they used corned beef as that was the cheapest similar meat cut in the NY Jewish markets ...

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bee - IrishCulture 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.