Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We have a steam cleaner and I try to use it every 6 months or so. How often do you steam clean your carpets? It's amazing how much dirt comes up even though we take off our shoes when we come into the house!!

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK you guys reminded me that I have this Hoover SteamVac sitting in our living room that has been broken for months - we bought ourselves a new one but I hate to throw this away just because the clean water tank has a leak. So now I have my boyfriend in the kitchen sealing up the leak and I ordered the $5 replacement valve on the web (which cost $12 to ship!!). Anyway, now we can at least donate it to charity once we get it working again. Maybe a friend of ours will take it ...

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
We use a Rug Doctor every 3 months. We do not use the cleaners for it, though. We use vinegar, Simple Green, or plain water, depends on how bad a stain is.

Funny, we have a Hoover SteamVac sitting in the back room. Motor went *poof* on it. The Rug Doctor did better than the Hoover, though.

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
We got a Bissell to replace the Hoover and actually the Hoover seems to have worked better than the Bissell. Parts did fail on the SteamVac - we had to get a new brush set and are now replacing that valve but in general it seemed to suck up dirt far better than the Bissell did. We're just going with the Bissell since that Hoover was not holding together very well.

We have a little hand held spot cleaner too, that you put down on a spot and leave it there for 5 minutes and it cleans up the spot. That's also a Bissell.

Low Carb Forum
Koala
Koala
We don't steam clean. Having wet carpets for several hours in a high humidity area leads to mold growth. Not a great trade off for stain removal.

We spot clean and occasionally will have Chem-Dri come in and do a quick job (whatever it is they use dries in under an hour and it works).

I'd prefer to get rid of the carpet entirely and put in hard floors. Maybe after that ephemeral tax rebate...

Yes agreed steam is the best mode of dry cleaning.Whether it is furniture,walls,carpets or for the matter a steam bath.

1STCLASSCLEANING
Zebra
Zebra
I'm afraid of dry cleaning chemical types - but I have the luxury of living in a VERY dry area. We were talking about this in my "do your bathroom towels dry overnight" thread in my low carb forum smile So if we steam clean our carpets here, they dry in under an hour. So we get super clean carpets, using just water and safe detergent (or heck just water alone sometimes) and then POOF they're dry.

The more I hear about these humid areas, the scarier it sounds. I can't imagine living in a moldy house!! I imagine there must be some benefits though smile

Lisa Shea, Computer / Console Games Editor
Computer / Console Games Forum
Shark
Shark
Lynn- Have you seen the new steamers that dry as they clean? They seem to do a pretty good job. Borrowed a friend's a few times.

When we used the Rug Doctor, we turn on all the ceiling fans, high setting, and also place box fans around the room. For the winter, we're lucky as the heat registers are at the bottom of the wall and the hot air goes right across the carpet.

Using vinegar in the water can dramatically reduce the chance of mold/mildew attacking the carpet, though I agree that hard floors will nearly eliminate the risk totally.

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Dry as they clean sounds like a great idea!!

The Scooba uses vinegar plus water as one of its standard mixes smile

Low Carb Forum
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK we FINALLY repaired our old steam cleaner and I hauled it downstairs into the basement. I didn't want to use our "regular" steam cleaner on the basement carpet because we have 2 cats and this thing is just grody. I didn't want the good cleaner gunked up with this stuff. But now that we have a "junk steam cleaner" I was quite happy to get that carpet clean!

And now it smells SO much nicer down in the basement, which is where my dance dance revolution setup is and the Bowflex. It's also where Bob's dart area is set up. So this is good for so many reasons!

Low Carb Forum
Elephant
Elephant
if i had a steam cleaner I would probably use it bimonthly with my asthma and allergies.

I want to get a steam cleaner to clean my wood and tile floors and other surfaces.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jase - you can rent them at many grocery stores for not a lot of money! Maybe go in with some friends on a daily rental and all share it, to save on the money?

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
Jase-
I just picked up a new handheld steamer from ALDI of all places. I had a Shark Steamer, it was horrible, didnt work at all from the word Go.

This one is a Crofton and comes with all sorts of attachments for cleaning everything from windows to walls to toilets. I love it.

While you do still need to use a sponge or towel for some things, it does a great job of blasting gunk out of really hard to reach places. Another plus is that it does an even better job on crayon and other wall marks than the Magic Eraser.

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
OK I just steam cleaned the downstairs living room, because I was doing yoga and decided I wanted the carpet as clean as it could be. It's amazing how much brown gunk comes up from a steam cleaning, from a just-vacuumed carpet!! And we don't wear shoes in the house either - we take off our shoes when we come into the house. Where does this dirt come from?

So things are fresher and cleaner smile

Low Carb Forum
Shark
Shark
Lisa, I have the same problem, gunk coming up all the time.

We moved into this house after a family who had had quite a few animals, plus a lot of foot traffic. After cleaning, the carpet looks wonderful for all of two days at the most. Then the stains begin to come back, always in the same areas.

We assume that the dirt is down in the padding under the carpet. We cannot afford to remove the carpet right now, but you better believe that when we can this whole thing is going bye-bye!

Julie Fletcher
Cleaning Editor
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Well I have to believe that each cleaning draws out another percentage of the dirt so if I keep this up eventually it'll get cleaner smile

I wish there was some way to quantify the "percent dirt" in the water I bring up, so I could tell if it is getting cleaner. I thought about taking pictures (being the documentation person I am) but I'm not sure that I could get the lighting exactly the same each time ...

Low Carb Forum
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tammy - Cleaning Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.