Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#376614 02/18/08 01:04 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
If you have a high definition TV, which format were you buying your high def DVDs in - BluRay or HD-DVD?

We have a PS3 so we were buying BluRays since that is what the PS3 plays natively. News just came out that both Netflix and WalMart are going with BluRay only, so it sounds like BluRay is winning the format war.

Are you stuck with HD-DVDs? Or did you choose BluRay? Or are you still in the regular-DVD crowd? smile

Lisa Shea, Low Carb and Video Games Editor
Low Carb Forum
Sponsored Post Advertisement
K
Amoeba
Amoeba
K
This seems to be a great bone of contention for those of us who collect DVD's. Personally, we invested in a Mitsubishi 56 inch HD capable TV a few years ago as well as getting Direct TV which now has more channels available in HD than any other provider. We have NOT made a decision on HD vs. Blue-Ray yet. However, since we already have one PC hooked up to the HD TV, we are seriously considering just updating that computer to play both types of formats - that way we are not locked into any one brand. I hear that many more video/tech junkies are doing just that (creating the ultimate Media Center) to ensure that they are not wasting their money on a format that will be extinct in a few years!

Kirsten Olsen-Keyser
SF/Fantasy Movies
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
There are a few players that are dual format; it's usually a cost issue since they tend to cost more than single format players. I imagine the wisest course was to wait until the war was won. It now looks like BluRay has won the war, so people who waited are probably in the best boat (and I suppose people who "rolled the dice" and chose BluRay to begin with).

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
We treated ourselves to a new Sony 46"Bravia LCD HD-TV AND a PS3 for Christmas. Most of what we have are Blu-Ray since Disney and a few others are making their movies only in Blu-Ray. There is NOTHING as fantastic as Blu-Ray and HD! smile My son just bought "Blue Planet" and the pictures were so real. Amazing, really, isn't it?

Trish

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I have to say I *adore* high definition TV. The visuals are just so amazing. I love nature shows, and to see the soaring mountaintops and deep blue oceans is enthralling. I could have that on for hours in the background while I work on my laptop.

Also what is REALLY cool is that you could get a high def feed of paintings you love and have a large size "painting" in your room, and then change it hourly based on your moods! And the quality would be stunning!

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
We were watching lost and just discovered "Kate" has alot of freckles. HD is giving the actors and actresses a fit, with all the details. wink

I don't know about leaving a picture playing a still shot, as something might get burned into the screen. But our cable company has a station that plays scenes from around the world in HD. We watched the sun rise over a mountain top in Hawaii and watched seals playing on the shore. It is really cool!

Trish

BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Toshiba looks like it's dropping HD-DVD -

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Low Carb Forum
Tiger
Tiger
We are still in the regular DVD crowd. Waaaa

M o e #376991 02/19/08 12:36 AM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Ah but do you have a high definition TV? It's not really worth upgrading until you get a better TV smile

Low Carb Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
Lisa, when we bought our TV, I talked to a lot of different sales people about the TV station's emblem on the bottom of the screen. They all said that as long as the symbol is in the grey, light or white tones, that the screen won't be bothered.

I guess we'll have to wait and see. smile Thanks for the link for Toshiba. Others will start make those decisions, too.

Moe, hang in there with your regular DVDs. Prices are still coming down, so you should be able to get a good deal when you decide to upgrade. wink

Trish

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gillian ClassicalMusic 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/13/24 08:03 AM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/10/24 08:39 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/06/24 02:11 PM
Curiosity and Learning
by Angie - 04/06/24 09:56 AM
Easy to Sew Pillowcases
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/03/24 04:38 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/31/24 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.