Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#376408 02/17/08 12:40 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Anybody out there looking for a specific recipe? Or how about learning a technique used in Mexican cooking? Post your ideas here!

Susan Stewart
Mexican Food
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Years ago I found a great recipe for chile rellonos but have lost it. Do you have one. The resturaunts around here do not make them right and I am soooo craving one. The El Burrito in Campbell CA used to make them and they were fantastic! If I could have just one, cooked the right way, I would be ever so grateful! I think they should be soft and smothered in cheese and a mild sauce. Do you have a recipe for that?

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the request! I'll do some investigating as there are recipes for chile rellenos Mexican-style, Tex-Mex style, and I have a recipe for an easy chile relleno casserole that makes a great brunch entree. I'll have a 'Chile Rellenos' article posted this week.

Susan Stewart
Mexican Food
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
BellaOnline Editor
Gecko
I want to learn how to make a Mole sauce. I have never eaten it but the concept sounds delicious. I did try it once with recipe that I found on the Internet and it was not so good - could have been me or the recipe there are thousands out there so it is hard to pick one.

Of course, you might already have a recipe listed so I am heading over to check out your site.

[Update] - Went to your site and lo and behold! right there on the featured list - Mole recipes! grin I will give them a shot as soon as can!

Last edited by Allison_PCAdvice; 03/02/08 12:40 PM.
Thank you, Susan. I look forward to reading your article!

Last edited by Phyllis NatAmEd; 03/03/08 07:17 PM.

Walk in Peace and Harmony.
Phyllis Doyle Burns
Avatar: Fair Helena by Rackham, Public Domain
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Oh, there was a great sweet recipe I saw on PBS, but didn't write down the recipe. I don't know if it was Mexican or from Puerto Rico though. It was a caramel type dessert using condensed milk, mixed with sugar or caramel and baked.

All in all, some simple mexican desserts would be great. And I will check your page out to see if there are any there!

Thanks for asking.

Violette DeSantis, Writely Applied
Blogs/Social Networking Editor
Small Office/Home Office Editor

Now writing at BloggingTips.com & Soaps.com. For updates visit videsantis.WritelyApplied.com.

"Energy rightly applied and directed will accomplish anything" ~ Nellie Bly
R
Gecko
Gecko
R
I would love some tips on making flour and corn tortillas. I have tried to make flour tortillas many times but I just can't get it right.

S
OP Offline
S
Check out the article tomorrow - Basics of Mexican Cooking - corn and flour tortillas!

Susan Stewart
Mexican Food
R
Gecko
Gecko
R
Great article, Susan. I can't wait to try them again. I will let you know how it turns out.

Here's the link to the article for others who are interested:

Basic Mexican Recipes - Tortillas

S
OP Offline
S
I'll be sure to include some dessert recipes in the near future! Here's an adaptation of a caramel custard recipe you might like to try:
Recipe: Caramel Custard serves 3-4
Ingredients: 2 and half cups milk
6 T sugar, divided
2 eggs
1 slice bread
1 t vanilla extract
Method: (1) Caramelize the sugar in the pan in which you want to make the custard. To do this, pour the sugar into a cold pan and add a small amount of water and stir, to get the sugar to the consistency of wet sand. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. Scrape down the sides of the pan frequently, and wait until the sugar begins to dissolve in the water. It will then form a clear syrup, known as simple syrup. Keep stirring the mixture until it reaches a boil, then stop stirring. The caramel will turn light amber at first, and will very, very quickly darken to bronze. Remove from the heat BEFORE it gets to dark, as it will continue cooking in the pan. Pour into the bottom of the pan you ill use for the custard. (2) In a saucepan, scald the milk. Dissolve 2 T sugar in the milk and crumble the bread into it. Let the mixture cool to room temperature. (3) Blend the milk with the eggs and vanilla and pour the custard into the pan with the caramel (4) Bake in a bain marie ( a double-boiler set-up - I use little ceramic cups for my custards and set them in a casserole pan with about an inch of water) for 30-40 minutes until a knife comes clean and the custard is set. Check the water level occasionally and add as needed. (5) Chill for a few hours and then upturn into a serving platter.

Susan Stewart
Mexican Food
E
Parakeet
Parakeet
E
Thankyou for that. smile

Nicola Jane Soen

Love is wisdom.

P
P
Thanks for the flour tortilla recipe! I've always wanted to make them at home! My boys love to eat them with butter!

I'd love to have the recipe for a tangy salsa (non-cooked). We have a restaurant that has yummy yummy salsa, but they are very secretive about the recipe. I don't blame them.....we keep coming back for more. smile

S
OP Offline
S
Check out the 'Salsa' category in my archives. I have two articles on red and green salsa - one with videos! Salsa Fresca - the basic red salsa is easy to make - just tomatoes, onions, chilies, cilantro, and lime juice.

Susan Stewart
Mexican Food
S
OP Offline
S
I received an email from a reader with the following request:
I am looking for a recipe for the Range Rattlers that are served at the Salt Grass Restaurant. They are pepper stuffed with shrimp and cheese--then fried.

Susan Stewart
Mexican Food
Elephant
Elephant
sounds like a different style of chili rejenos.

J. Ruel - Gay Lesbian News Editor

Check out the latest article on the Gay Lesbian SITE or Join us in the FORUM

Questions? Comments? Story Ideas? SUBMIT THEM HERE

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
Lady J #421735 05/27/08 08:48 PM
Elephant
Elephant
Also another nice little twist on corn tortillas... in your recipe, add a teaspoon or tablespoon of honey. It adds a nice little sweetness and brings out the natural sweetness of the masa. It also browns it up nicely.

Former Editor of the HIV/AIDS, HAIR, HISPANIC CULTURE, and GAY LESBIAN RELATIONSHIPS sites here on BellaOnline!
I have fallen in love with salsa verde. I like it mild though.
I would like to make it at home, but I am unfamiliar with tomatillos. I am not sure what to do with them. Could you tell me the right way to prepare a tomatillo?
Also, do you have a recipe for a mild salsa verde?
Thanks,
collier5

P.S. I get cash back on all my eBay purchases. Do you? I also get cash back from 100s of online retailers. Free to join. Learn About BigCrumbs .
S
OP Offline
S
I'll have one next week!

Susan Stewart
Mexican Food
Elephant
Elephant
Feel honored. I haven't ever shared this recipe LOL

Roasted Salsa Verde

1 pound fresh tomatillos (husked and halved)
1-2 large red onion (halved)
1 jalapeno or 1-2 serano chilis (whole)
4 Limes (2 halved and 2 juiced)
1 teaspoon sugar (raw)
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1/2 cup finely chopped Cilantro
Olive oil
Salt to taste

Place tomatillos, onion, 2 halved limes, and chiles in a bowl. Gently pour olive oil on vegetables to coat. Toss in oil and sprinkle with salt and cumin. Roast on a parchment lined baking sheet at 400 until slightly charred or roasted. Remove from oven and peel (don't be picky about the chilis, make sure to destem and seed). Place the vegetables, lime juice (from roasted limes), and sugar into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth consistency (leave some chunks if you wish for a chunkier salsa... puree until completely smooth if using for enchiladas). Mix in Cilantro and remaining lime juice and pulse to incorporate. Add water if it is too thick and puree more if needed.

Chill and serve, serve immediately, or use for enchiladas.

Lady J #452485 09/15/08 08:11 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Susan,
My husband and his family LOVE Mexican food, but it is not what I was raised with so I am learning. Last week we went to dinner with my Mother-in-Law and she ordered Flautas, (forgive me if I misspelled it) which I had never seen before. They were VERY spicy but delicious, do you have a recipe?
Thanks in advance.

K
K
Karina's famous mexican mole

Ingredients:

* 1-2kg of your favorite meats
* 4-6 fresh chili Poblanos(not canned)
* 1 bottle(125g) of Do�a Maria mole paste
* 2 cups of shelled peanuts
* 1 cup of sesame seeds or 3/4 cups tahini
* 1 cup brown sugar or piloncillo(if it's available)
* 6-7 gram crackers (the square kind)
* 1 bar(round) of the Chocolate "la abuelita"
* 1 stick of cinnamon

* Some of the ingredients may be as unavailable to you, as they are to me; since I currently reside in Peru. You can easily find them over the internet. I use mexicoetal.com or any of the other mexican food sites around.

1. Boil your meat until throughly cooked, retaining the broth.
2. Roast the Poblano peppers over your stove under they are char'd and put in cold water to peel the skin off.
3. Mix the roasted chiles with the remainder of the ingredients in a blender and puree. Adding enough broth just to liquefy it. I usually blend for over 3-5 minutes to get it very smooth.. it's important it have no little chunksor chips.
4. Pour the mix into a pan with your meat and bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. If it's becoming too think for you tastes add a little left over broth.
6. Serve and enjoy a little piece of home in every bite.

Usually eaten with onions soaked in lemon juice as ganish, over flour or corn tortillas.

*some like is sweeter and will add more sugar or chocolate. It's really a fun dish to play with because you can add more of, or remove whatever you think your in the mood for that day.

Karina, welcome to the forum, hope that you enjoy your stay. And your recipe sounds sooo good thanks for sharing it with us.
Rosie

Rosie L
L
Gecko
Gecko
L
I am looking for a great paella recipe. But is that a Spanish recipe? Does Mexico have its own version of paella?

I also would love a good flan recipe! I have a hard time carmelizing that sugar on the bottom.

M
Shark
Shark
M
Hi Lori,

Paella definitely falls into the Spanish category. Here is a relatively easy recipe for flan...

1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup water

3 eggs
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place a large roasting pan in the oven. It needs to be large enough to hold a 9-inch round baking dish. Have a 9-inch round baking dish out and ready to use.

2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar and water. Cook, swirling the pan from time to time, until the color is dark brown and smell like caramel. This will take about 15 minutes. To prevent your caramel from getting grainy, the key is to wash down any granules that accumulate along the sides of the pan with a pasty brush dipped in cold water.

3. Carefully pour the hot syrup into the 9 inch round glass baking dish, turning the dish to evenly coat the bottom and sides. Set aside.

4. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. This can also be done in a blender.

5. Pour egg mixture into the baking dish. Place the baking dish inside the roaster and then fill the roaster with hot water until it is halfway up the side of the glass flan pan. Be careful not to splash water into the flan.

6. Bake in preheated oven until the center just feels firm with pressed with a finger, about 60 minutes. Remove the flan, still inside the roasting pan from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Remove from the water bath, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least four hours.

7. To serve, carefully run knife along the edge of the pan. Invert on serving plate and lift the pan from the flan. Cut into wedges.

Martha McKinnon
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Martha,
I originally posted this request back when there was no Mexican Food Editor, so i got no response. So Here is my request again, hopefully you can help me with it.

My husband and his family LOVE Mexican food, but it is not what I was raised with so I am learning. Last week we went to dinner with my Mother-in-Law and she ordered Flautas, (forgive me if I misspelled it) which I had never seen before. They were VERY spicy but delicious, do you have a recipe?
Thanks in advance.

M
Shark
Shark
M
Hi Helen,

You spelled "flautas" perfectly. Flauta the Spanish word for flute, is used to describe a corn tortilla that is filled with something yummy (shredded chicken, shredded beef, ground beef, beans and cheese, sausage, etc), rolled tightly, secured with toothpicks and then fried until crisp and golden. They are then served immediately, usually with shredded lettuce, fresh salsa, and guacamole. Some Mexican restaurants call flautas, taquitos.

Do you remember what kind of flautas your mother-in-law ordered?

So to make flautas, you can just choose your favorite filling (anything that you would use to make tacos would work) and use it to fill warm tortillas. You can warm the tortillas either by cooking them quickly in oil (the traditional way) or wrapping them in foil and warming them in the oven (the more modern healthier approach).

Roll them up like a cigar and secure them with toothpicks and then fry them in corn oil or canola oil at a temperature of 365-375 for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until they are crisp and golden. You can keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until you are ready to serve.

To be honest, I don't do a lot of frying at home.

I think all the component recipe parts are available on the Mexican Food Site -- there are recipes for basic shredded chicken, shredded beef, guacamole, and salsa.

If I can be of more assistance, please let me know.

Warmly,
Martha

Martha McKinnon
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
BellaOnline Editor
Parakeet
Hi Martha,

Thanks for the input. The flautas she ordered are made with flour tortillas and are filled with very spicy shredded chicken and deep fried till crispy and flaky. They are served with guacamole; papaya, or maybe guava, salsa with cilantro in it (very yummy); and jalapeno jelly that is hot, hot, hot and very good. This meal will really clear your sinuses, but soooo delicious.

L
Gecko
Gecko
L
Thanks for the flan recipe, Martha! Can't wait to try it. Hope I don't ruin the carmelized sugar part though! That tip about the pastry brush should help!

About flautas: My friends love my easy version. I just roll up strips of chicken breasts with a sprinkle of salt and pepper in flour tortillas. Fry until golden, and then, serve with guacamole, sour cream, jalapeno pepper jelly, and salsa on the side. The chicken stays moist and juicy. Sometimes, the seasoned shredded chicken version is overflavored and mushy.

I would love recipes for cooking homemade refried beans, whole pinto beans and black beans. There are so many recipes, and one of my friends who is Mexican says her mom makes the best and the best is simple: Only beans and water. Then, a light salting after the beans are cooked. The secret, she said, was not to add too much water or the flavor will dilute.

What do you think?

BTW, I love your site recipes!

Last edited by Lori-Marriage; 02/18/09 02:39 PM.
My best friend loves Rompope. Do you know any traditional recipes, or anything with a twist?

Sarah Salas
Editor, Latin Music
K
Parakeet
Parakeet
K
Originally Posted By: Susan - Mexican Food
Anybody out there looking for a specific recipe? Or how about learning a technique used in Mexican cooking? Post your ideas here!

Hi, Susan. There is a sauce they serve here in Texas at a Taco Cabana called "fuego"? Not sure about the spelling but this stuff is sooo good. Do you know what it is and it's ingredients?I could eat it with the some tortilla chips as a quick, snack while I'm on this diet. Argggg.

Kimberly C. Cannon, Former Bulb Gardening Editor
M
Shark
Shark
M
Hi Lori,

Working with caramelized sugar is always tricky, but gets easier with practice. The great thing about cooking is that we never stop learning!

Thanks for the flautas recipe -- your version sounds delish:-)

As for beans, I think your mom's friend is right. The simpler the better. Adding salt at the end prevents the beans from getting tough. I attended a whole foods cooking class last Spring and wemcooked a lot of beans. We were taught to soak them either over night or with the quick soak method, and then cook them at a slow simmer with the water covering the beans by only an inch, adding more water if necessary until tender and they were yummy.

Glad you like the site. I am having so much fun with it.

Martha McKinnon
J
J
Please send me the best recipe for carnitas! We have a great Mexican restaurant here in evans georgia where I get them but can't seem to get the technique right myself. Thank you! Jan Clark

M
Shark
Shark
M
Hi Jan,

Many traditional carnitas recipes call for the pork to be simmered in lard until tender and that may explain why it's so delicious at your great Mexican restaurant. No matter how delicious, I just can't bring myself to cook carnitas this way.

Here is a recipe you may want to try:

Carnitas Recipe

4 pounds boned pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into large chunks
3 - 4 cups beef broth
2 cups chunky tomato salsa, homemade or store bought
Water
Salt to taste

In a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, combine pork, broth, and salsa. Add water until the meat is completely covered. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, until meat is fork tender and pulls apart easily, 3 - 4 hours.
Add salt to taste if needed.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove meat from liquid in pot and discard the liquid. Place the meat in a roasting pan and break it into small chunks. Roast meat until browned and crispy, about 15 to 20 minutes.

Martha McKinnon
Elephant
Elephant
I do it the same way except I add chili powder and cumin with a touch of lime juice and add about 5-8 cloves of chopped garlic.

I cannot do the lard version myelf

Lady J #515250 04/24/09 05:34 PM
M
Shark
Shark
M
The additions of garlic chili powder, and cumin sound delicious! Will try that next time.

Martha McKinnon
Elephant
Elephant
It's the Puerto Rican in me.. we have the curribean influence and cuban influence in our foods.

M
M
[quote=Allison_PCAdvice]I want to learn how to make a Mole sauce. I have never eaten it but the concept sounds delicious. I did try it once with recipe that I found on the Internet and it was not so good - could have been me or the recipe there are thousands out there so it is hard to pick one. Of course, you might already have a recipe listed so I am heading over to check out your site. [Update] - Went to your site and lo and behold! right there on the featured list - Mole recipes! :grin: I will give them a shot as soon as can! [/quote] Im happy to hear that...the site really features great Mexican Recipes...hope it works out for you and u will make a mean Mole

L
L
i would love to know how to make a really great chimichanga and that amazing mexican rice!! any suggestions?

J
J
Oops Sorry, didn't mean to do anything wrong. I will read the advice as you suggest.

Lady J #728552 12/02/11 04:35 PM
H
H

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 02/27/24 08:00 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/27/24 05:45 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/23/24 11:02 AM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 02/23/24 09:05 AM
Bird Buddy
by Angie - 02/22/24 08:18 PM
Sewing Ideas for St. Patrick's Day
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 02/21/24 05:33 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 02/20/24 03:20 PM
Tennis Legend Roger Federer - New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 02/19/24 08:57 PM
Lined Note Paper Template for Digital Planner
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:38 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 02/19/24 08:21 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.