logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
CFFB #370318 01/27/08 07:50 PM
Gecko
Gecko
Feebee, what an incredible life you have! That's amazing! I am so inspired by you! And they say that there are no heroes anymore. Feebee, if anyone every says ANYTHING to you about having children, you tell them that you gave it up to be a hero.

It's interesting that you mention depression, because if we had kids I probably would never have been able to afford the therapy that I'm getting, and it has pretty much been keeping me alive.

Also, my accomplishment today is that I cleaned the bathroom and bedroom! Yay! I've been putting it off forever.

...the cake is a lie...the cake is a lie...the cake is a lie...
Sponsored Post Advertisement
A
Amoeba
Amoeba
A
-"Ran a 10.5km 1/4 marathon (having never been sporty before).
(Maybe. There are many superwomen who can be Mums and do all this stuff. Not really me though. I know I wouldn't have been able to devote the time and brainspace necessary to train.)"

Feebee, your posts are so inspiring (as Tress said!) I'm in awe! I just wanted to support you on this point--that some women have such stamina that they CAN accomplish an awful lot AND be Mothers AND Superwives and make it all look easy. I'm not one of those women, either, however! It took everything in me to change careers, get a teaching certificate and to squeak through my first year of teaching. If I had to look after my own children on my plate as well, I have serious doubts whether I could have devoted the time and brainspace as you say. Congratulations everyone on your accomplishments! (Raising a glass of wine to you all as a toast.)

C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Tress, that is very kind of you to say so. I don't really feel that I'm incredible - I just found myself on a very interesting path and grabbed opportunities while I was there. I'm lucky to do work I am passionate about. That is so nice of you to make this comment.

Well done on cleaning the bathroom and bedroom. I love that feeling. I cleaned out the pantry a few weeks ago and found stuff in there with a use-by date of 2002. I was so proud of how the pantry looked, that I actually took photos!!!It's these sorts of achievements that matter to me now.

Yes, re the depression, I wonder what would have happened to me if I had kids. I definitely think I would have had post natal depression and I think the lack of sleep would have sent me over the edge.

It has been great listing my accomplishments - I wasn't trying to boast; it was really for me. I've finally come to acceptance of being CF and it is really affirming to remind myself of the things I have done instead.

CFFB #370345 01/27/08 09:17 PM
M
M
Wow, FeebeeGeebee, you are an inspiration!

If you ever come to the U.S. and visit Pittsburgh, let me know! I'd love to share a meal with you.

Julie

Jellyfish
Jellyfish
For the weekend: I repainted the master bedroom, rearranged all the furniture, got samples for me to ponder for the draperies I will be making, had lunch with my mother, practiced agility in the snow with my pup and completely cleaned out my closet to giv clothes to Goodwill.

I certainly do not have the want or time for children, I'm doing well enough thank you wink

Myrabeth: I too have SAD and was hit pretty hard with it this weekend (doesn't help that my SO has been out of town for a month). Where are you looking for lamps? I feel it would be a good investment for me too!

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison
Parakeet
Parakeet
LastingOne, the last two weeks have been when it really kicked in for me. So far, I've been shopping around online, but a coworker told me that she found just the bulbs at Lowe's (though I haven't yet found them listed on the website). I'd prefer to just get a couple of FS bulbs. It would be much less expensive than a $60+ lamp, and I don't really need anymore lamps. (I've had too many apartments that were short on overhead lighting, so I have quite a few lamps: about one per hundred sq. ft. of living space.) I'm going to go look through the Lowe's lighting dept. sometime in the next week. I'll let you know what I learn.

Last edited by myrabeth; 01/27/08 10:16 PM.

Happily Living The Childfree Life!
M.B. #370366 01/27/08 10:18 PM
S
Shark
Shark
S
Ive got a good CF accomplishment...although it's also a jab in the ribs depending on how you take it.
My accomplishment:
1- I can spend hours on the internet, enjoying my forums..without neglecting my children.

Skeeter

Parakeet
Parakeet
Go Skeeter! (me too 1)

M.B. #370596 01/28/08 09:48 PM
Parakeet
Parakeet
LastingOne:
I found the FS bulbs! There will be no $60 lamps! Go to Target's light bulb aisle and look for the GE Reveal bulbs. Most of them say "enhanced spectrum" on the little rainbow graphic on the front, but a small selection has "Full Spectrum" instead. (It's small print, so look closely.) I found 40, 60, 75, and 100 watt 2 packs for about $3.50. I bought the 40 watt package and put one of them in my desk lamp as soon as I got home. I'm soaking up FS light as I type!

I'm a hardcore cheapskate, so spending $3.50 instead of $60 for essentially the same thing has given me a giddy little high. Tonight, I don't really need the bulbs! :P

M.B. #370604 01/28/08 10:33 PM
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Wow Feebee..what a life and so much more ahead of you!
I agree Skeeter...nice to have time to yourself..don't have to feel guilty if you want to sit and read, really enjoy your coffee or sleep!

I was thinking about my life and how different it would have been with kids...

So far: LLB, B.Comm, LLM (Forget the LLM...it was tough without kids!)
: Feeding my love of travel (much harder with kids - less time and money and often less enjoyable ie. toddler on long haul flight..I rest my case!)
: Renovating old houses (Very difficult with kids - and again, less time and money)
: Starting an antique business with my sister (her business and an interest for me) I did most of the buying at auctions after work and on weekends (with kids - impossible...with a full time job)
: Accepting promotions and overseas work. (difficult with children) I know that my job would be OUT with kids - I wouldn't be prepared to travel for 10 or so weeks every year leaving kids with a full time nanny.
: Financial Security - we have the option of early retirement. I think we'll wind back and travel more...we enjoy our jobs too much to give them away at the moment...also, the peace of mind knowing you can "look after" the people you love...(if need be) Also, being able to "treat" family and friends.
: Sponsoring a girl in Tanzania and a bear in China (ex bile bear)also, supporting WSPA, RSPCA and other animal welfare groups. We also support our old University and help fund Law & other Scholarships. So, being able to "give back"....
: Freedom & Spontaneity - to do as we please...how rare is that these days! The option of accompanying my DH when he attends a conference & vice versa...don't have to stay at home with the kids. Heading off for the weekend, attending wine tasting weekends...I could go on and on...but, I'm sure you all understand.
: Tranquility & Relaxation - our home has a wonderful "feel"...our friends and family often comment on the "feel" of our homes...in so many homes, you wouldn't even notice the snoring cat on the sofa. My nephew says, "when I come into your home, I never want to leave"...now, that's a compliment.

More recently:

On Sunday...I saw a beautiful Japanese girl - about 3 years old. Japanese children seem well behaved and respectful of parents, teachers, elders...
The 3 year old handed me a flower for no particular reason...my friend commented that she'd be lovely to have in your life. (just speaking generally)
I thought for a second...she's sweet but, "I want to go to the onsen today" and, "then to yoga class" & "lunch with my interpreter" and "visit my favorite tea house"...
No, I'll just enjoy seeing her from time to time in her parents shop.
Best of both worlds that way....
How different would my weekend have been with a 3 year old....no onsen, no yoga (without a creche or nanny)...lunch would have been shorter, at a different restaurant and probably, less enjoyable - you'd probably opt for sandwiches in the park and, the quiet teahouse - forget it!

Last edited by Deborah49; 01/29/08 12:26 AM.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.