logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
There is a huge difference between THAN and THEN. I see misuse of this everywhere.

"I am taller then he is." Just typing that drove me nuts!!!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
C
Gecko
Gecko
C
Originally Posted By: Tbunny
My personal peeve is the use of apostrophes in place of a plural, such as "tree's" instead of "trees."

This is mine as well. Also to and too. Usually people get two right.

"The world might be considerably poorer if the great writers had exchanged their books for children of flesh and blood." ~Virginia Woolfe
K
Shark
Shark
K
This is a great thread; abuse of the written word really pains me! I identify with all the peeves listed here and have one to add. I have noticed a growing tendency by Brits to use 'gotten' instead of the gramatically correct 'got', as in 'I've gotten some bad news' rather than 'I've got some bad news'. This was once a legitimate part of British English which has survived in American English but now seems to be crossing the Atlantic back again. I blame the ubiquitousness of American films and TV, together with the Internet, which is making these Americanisms creep in without people even noticing. wink

The emperor has no clothes. Choose The Childfree Life!
K
Shark
Shark
K
I've just been reminded of another pet peeve: the misuse of 'literally', as in 'I literally died when I heard that' (no, you certainly didn't!). It's become a sort of emphatic filler which I find really grating.

Shark
Shark
Manatee, I never thought about the use of "literally" until someone did an essay on the misuse of it (I think it was on the Grammar Girl podcast). I have to admit that I was guilty of misusing it in the past. Now it bothers me when I hear it.

Dani Sanders, Prime Time TV Ed.
Prime Time TV Website
Prime Time TV Forum
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
How about hearing someone saying, "I am going 'somewhere'. Do you want to go WITH?" Can't they say "...with ME or US?" They are even saying it a LOT on television.

Trish

K
Shark
Shark
K
Here's another one (oh dear, I seem to be on a roll): 'I was sat at my desk' instead of 'I was sitting'. I always have a mental image of a giant picking the speaker up and plonking him down in front of his desk!

I think this may be a UK phenomenon - have any non-UK posters noticed this?

Shark
Shark
Here are a few more:

"Not for nothing." What does this mean???

"I'm just saying." What? What are you just saying?

Referring to our school's new program for autistic children- people call it the "autistic program." The program is not actually autistic...

Gecko
Gecko
Originally Posted By: Manatee
I've just been reminded of another pet peeve: the misuse of 'literally', as in 'I literally died when I heard that' (no, you certainly didn't!). It's become a sort of emphatic filler which I find really grating.

Ohhh that one drives me INSANE! I see it used all the time on daytime t.v., I want to reach through and actually DO what "literally" happened to them. I remember someone saying "I was so [censored] off, literally!" Well then, I hope you had a change of pants, moron.

R
Gecko
Gecko
R
seen vs. saw

It drives me crazy when I hear someone use seen when it should be saw.

"I seen her walking the dog."

Ugh!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.