Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Hey all,
In my first new article in awhile, I spoke about why I started martial arts. I'm curious to hear from others what their reasons are. If you'd like to share, please post away here!

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
Sponsored Post Advertisement
B
B
cool Welcome back Caroline. It's nice to see you here again.
I've been impressed over the years by certain people I've met and these people were all Martial Artists. I've been very curious for a long time so I've done some different courses/workshops. When a self-defense course was being offered at a dojo in the next town , I took the big step of going by myself and taking his class. There were 5 of us who said we would continue, but we didn't really care about the rank and 2 of us are still there 3 years later and we both have our blue belts. I have learned so much in that period of time. I even have sparred (in my day, girls didn't fight) with the younger and faster women. I'll never win but I have a grand time trying.
Glad you are back
Britty's mom

C
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Britty's mom,

Thanks for sharing. Workshops and courses are a great way to get introduced to different styles of Martial Arts without making a huge investment before you decide upon the one.

Congrats on sticking to it and getting your blue belt. I know what you mean about not caring about rank. I had a debate with one of my head instructors about it long ago. There's actually an article about it in the archives.

I'm going to be cliche here but I think you've already won by recognizing that it's about having a good time and taking the time to learn; not just about winning or losing.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to chat some more later!

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
I began martial arts primarily to keep my two young sons focused and feeling like a family. I was divorced with a 10 and 12 year old. There father had nothing to do with them so I enrolled us all in karate. We even participated in Statewide competiton and won medals in sparring, kata, and kumate. Lots of fun and good experience for me and my sons. It also helped them with their confidence.

C
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Nancy,

Thanks for sharing! It's a great idea to start as a family and helps keep the momentum going. Do you three still practice?

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
Pretty much from the start. There are always things you can perfect outside your dojo. Depending what you're studying form, stance, movements, falls, katas and all basic moves can be practiced on your own. I like to practice a few things I've learned in class on the next day, so that it stays fresh in my mind. You're going to need a partner to test the effectiveness of a technique, but practicing the form outside the dojo will help you get that mind/body connexion faster.

C
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
C
Good advise Dubois. Making the time to do the review outside of the formal class time really does reflect on how well you do in the dojo.

- Sifu Caroline
Martial Arts
lol...I originally was the mom sitting in the back of the room watching my sons. The sensei would always say..."come on and join us you can do this" I had alot of doubt at first, but the boys wanted me to join and deep down I always wanted to join, so I did that was 7 years ago. I feel martial arts is a great thing because it is a personal achievement. I had told her (our sensei) that I never wanted to test...haha..that didnt last long the feeling of achieving something has been great

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.