logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
Not only can your children talk to strangers online through sites like Myspace, Facebook, and instant messaging, but now video games like PS3 allow them to play games and talk to people all over the world. As a mom, I don't like the fact that my kids can be talking to just anyone, anywhere. How do you control what your children are doing on the internet?

Sponsored Post Advertisement
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
I sit there and watch them just as the wife does. We limit their time on the computer, anywhere from a half hour a day to an hour a day.

My kids are 13, 9, and 8 and only allow them to go to kid friendly sites like Disneychannel.com, Hannah Montana.com. funbrain.com etc... We don't allow them into places like Myspace, Facebook, yahoo chat or anything.

Plus we have the computer in the living room where everyone is.

If they are on a computer that is not in a populated room like their bedroom, you have to make unannounced periodic times and see what they are doing.

Check the History of the computer often and talk with your children about the dangers of online predators. Sit down with them and watch one of those Dateline predator shows or show them news articles online about people posing as children to talk with other children and then those kids winding up dead or seriously injured.

If you find that you cannot trust them online because they are going where they are not supposed to when you are not home or whatever, then ban them from the computer at home until an adult is home or start sitting with them for awhile when they are online.

I am not sure how to do it but I believe that Facebook and Myspace can be blocked from access.

Obviously you wont be able to watch them if they are on computers at school, the Public Library or a friend's house but that is why you need to hammer home about the dangers of online predators.

Be a watchful and vigilant parent so your children know that you will be popping over their shoulder every once in awhile and when you do, look at the bottom of the screen to see if something has been minimized. Make it normal again and see where they are or who they are talking to.

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Vance!
This was an excellent post!
Chel

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
I agree, that was an excellent post, Vance. You and your wife sound like you are doing a great job. I constantly warn my kids about online predators. My kids are teens, and have myspace and facebook accts. Their Myspace accts are set to private so you can only see their info if you are a friend. All Facebook accts are private unless you allow someone to be your friend. I do periodically sign in on their accounts to see what is there and what is going on. My kids know I will do this and I explain that it is for their protection.

Also I think it is important to teach your children that if they are messaging online that if they wouldn't say something to a person face to face, they shouldn't type it on a computer.

BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
BellaOnline Editor
Chipmunk
Excellent point, Sue! You know I find the same things goes for adults. Many time I have fired off a post or comment that I would never dream of saying to someone in the same room. It's almost as if the web gives us the feeling of being invisible, when in fact, we are not!

Michelle Anne Cope
Short Stories Editor

Moderated by  Nicki - BF & EC Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.