Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Q
qoe2u Offline OP
OP Offline
Q
Need help...

A very dear friend is in the last stages of cancer, and her death will be within the next couple of days.

I will be going to see her in her home shortly and need advice on what to do and NOT do. Our relationship is good, no unresolved issues.

Do I talk of about our friendship? Do I talk about the joy she has given me? Do I tell her she can 'move' on? How do I try to peace to both of us? Do I take a small token, plant, or item for her or her caregiver? What would be the proper etiquette for this situation?

I am so dreading this visit as it will be as time I will she her alive.

Help!

Queenie

Sponsored Post Advertisement
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
I would just take my cues from her. If she wants to reminisce then go for it, if she is frightened about what is to come - then comfort her, etc.

Just remember she is your friend and go in treating her as such - not like she were a china doll or a stranger that you had never met. And try not to be the first to start crying. I realize that may be difficult, but you don't want to put her in the position of comforting you.

My prayers and condolences go with you.

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
M
Gecko
Gecko
M
Hi qoe - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend - it's a difficult time.
My SIL died last year from cancer - we flew interstate three times to visit in her last months. She knew the end was near but greeted us cheerfully - we were apprehensive before we arrived but decided we would arrive the way we always arrived - with wine and chocolates. We talked about all the things we'd normally talk and laugh about - she wanted our BIL to take a photo of us all sitting in her garden - she also, wanted the wine open and enjoyed a small glass. I think it was a break from the "illness" - there was no talk of death or cancer - she did talk about her treatment and drugs briefly.
So, I agree you should take her lead - but I also, think it's a good idea to treat her normally and not like a person with cancer.
We knew our goodbyes and kisses at the end of the last visit were probably the last - we didn't want to get upset and risk upsetting her - she squeezed our hands and thanked us for coming such a long way to visit her. We managed to avoid tears because she was so strong and in control - she died a few days later.
If you haven't seen your friend for some time I'd get an update from her carer - just so you're prepared.
It's a difficult time.....I'm sure your visit will be appreciated.

S
Shark
Shark
S
I think both previous posters hit this right on the head. From my past exp. I have seen that most often the terminally ill don't really want to think about their illness when you are visiting. They want to remember good times, and try to have one more good time while they are still able too.

Unless you normally would bring a gift when you went to visit her I wouldn't this time. It's hard but you just have to treat it like any other visit you have ever made to her in your life. Be prepared but try not to show it.

Skeeter

Moderated by  Decorum-Is-Key Lisa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.