Next Thread
Print Thread
#341825 09/18/07 10:55 AM
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
Jellyfish
Eat these 10 healthy foods to look and feel your best, slow down aging, protect yourself against disease and stay healthy. 10 Healthiest Foods for Healthy Eating

Sponsored Post Advertisement
J
Koala
Koala
J
Great article, Moss!

This is a great list and if people ate like this, there would be a lot less so-called age-related diseases and diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol, etc.

We've been making it our goal to eat this way for the past several years and my husband, daughter and I are very rarely sick with even a cold.

BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
BellaOnline Editor
Chimpanzee
Hi Moss!

It makes sense, weve just got to incorporate it in our lives!

I had an idea for a fun game (totally selfish one, since I intend to reap the benefits from this. grin but, the so can everyone else.

What if on each post a person lists a "bad" snackfood or junkfood - then the next person that posts has to post a healhty solution to the bad snack. Afterwards they can post their own bad snack.

So like this: I say PBJ sandwich, then the next person says Graham crackers spreab with peanut butter and apple slices - and post thier own junk food baddie - like ice cream. Next person up offers aolution and a new problem.

Here's the first bad food challenge: French Fries

Michelle Taylor
Marriage Editor
J
Koala
Koala
J
Great idea! I happen to have one for French fries too.

Slice up several sweet potatoes into French fry type pieces. Toss with olive oil and a little salt (or other seasoning if you want to cut down on the salt). Bake in a shallow dish for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Sweet potatoes are a great replacement for white potatoes. They are low fat and filled with nutrients. Plus these are baked so there is no bad fats.

Now back to the ice cream! I love ice cream and have not really found a substitute for it. I do eat the "no added sugar" slow churned kind but even that has lots of sugar. any ideas?

E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
An alternative to ice cream? Just don't know any. So if i'm going to eat it, i eat the real thing. Just once a month. You still have to enjoy life!

J
Koala
Koala
J
One tip on ice cream tho is to get the "no sugar added" or Low sugar kind that is slow churned. I read that the slow churn process is more expensive so not all the low fat, low sugar ice cream makers use it. The ones that do tho can turn out a slightly better product healthwise but it still tastes great!

I think the key is moderation. If you love ice cream, eat a small dish and don't beat yourself up over it.

One problem with sugar tho is that it is addicting. If you start your day with a donut, you'll crave sugar all the rest of the day.

Gecko
Gecko
Moss

that was a great article, but I have a question. Two of my kids have celiac disease,they can't eat any wheat or gluten. The disease causes the cilia in the intestines to lie flat (the cilia absorb nutrients from food and distribute through the body). With celiac's disease your body stops absorbing nutrients and can cause a slew of other problems.
My question is since wheat is an important part of the food pyramid, what damage will be done to them from not having wheat? I know that it doesn't make a difference, because they can't have it, but I was just wondering what your opinion was.

Thanks

E
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
E
My oldest daughter has an allergy to wheat. She eats other whole grains and not having wheat didn't seem to hurt her nutritionally. I don't think that eating wheat is as important as everyone thinks as long as you eat plenty of other whole grains in place of it.

J
Koala
Koala
J
There are dozens of great tasting and nutritious grains available, like Amaranth, barley, oats, buckwheat, Quinoa, millet-and lots more. These can be used as hot cereals or to cook and bake with or to make salads.

For people who can't eat wheat, that's just one common grain that most people know about. There's lots more to try and tons of recipes on the internet.

Moderated by  Moss - Nutrition Editor 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.