Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#255546 06/26/06 05:05 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I've been living abroad, Paris to be exact, for one year now. Since the chill of this year's very long winter has burned off, I no longer spend my days wishing for Texas' sunshine. There are MANY things that I miss, but most of all I miss Tex Mex cuisine. Try as I might to replicate flavors, there is something missing from my stock here. Fresh off the plane, I get my fix of the proper porportions of grease and spice washed down by an icy margarita. Throw in a sandy beach and you're in paradise. So, what do you miss the most?

Melissa Demiguel
French Culture Editor

"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris...then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."
Ernest Hemingway
Sponsored Post Advertisement
#255547 06/26/06 06:17 PM
Zebra
Zebra
After having moved back to the UK, from France - where I lived for six years - it's so good to be back home! I missed being able to have takeaways from chinese, Indian and Turkish restaurants. I missed being able to go to the cinema, the theatre or just the pub in the evenings.... I missed good old Brown Sauce, biscuits and fresh ginger..... I missed English cheese...
Do I regret leaving France at all? Not one bit! I don't miss a thing - !!

#255548 11/16/06 04:20 PM
hey miss meliss, it's rogina! since i dont live in paris, you lucky thing, the things i miss are the great times we had in college. girls night out, getting tons of sun at barton springs, riding our bikes everywhere and maybe the school a bit also. Recently though, i miss the times i spent in paris with melissa(french culture editor) for her wedding. Your so lucky girl! But the great thing that i still have are those great authentic mexican cuisines and strong margaritas. i think ill call up a couple the girls and go have some tonight in your in honor babe. I cant wait to see you in december!!! Talk at you soon, love rogina

Last edited by FrenchCultureMelissa; 11/26/07 04:40 PM.

when i walk too much my feet hurt
rogina #288248 01/17/07 11:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I spent a month in Strasbourg last year. From there, I miss the inexpensive cheese and wine, the beautiful countryside, and seeing the cathedral on the horizon.

I lived in Japan for 4 years. From there, I miss these moshi balls (mmmmmm), being able to SCUBA every day, and the awesome weather year round.

Since I live far from my family and many of my friends, I also miss them dearly.

rogina #292374 02/13/07 06:30 PM
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
BellaOnline Editor
Amoeba
Since moving to California, I also miss the lazy days of sunshine at Barton Springs and riding bikes all over. We owned that town!

You might think that just becuase it's in the came country one wouldn't experience culture shock, but that is all too wrong. There are many things I love about Sunny San Diego, but I miss that Texas heat, all my fabulous crazy friends and their kitty hats and leg warmers, and while they have great Mexican food here, they sure don't have the Tex-Mex!

P.S. Rogina, Gee, I don't recognize you! How can that be? I'm sure we would hoave crossed paths at some point or other in Miss Melissa's Texas Daze... hahahahaha

A
A
I miss the French cheese and pasteries. Can't get anything like them here in the US.

Who do you know who burns scented candles?
Enter my free candle drawing at
http://www.scentedcandlesclub.com
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You can get the cheese, but you pay about 1,000 times more for it...

#305237 04/05/07 10:12 AM
O
Shark
Shark
O
During a semester in London, I actually missed very little about my home culture except for my friends. There was actually a restaurant just down the block from me in South Kensington that offered authentic, spicy chili and played music piped in from a radio station in Austin, Texas. Besides, in addition to American imports, London offered a wealth of culture and cuisine that I was eager to explore!

Once I returned to Texas, I immediately began to miss the history, art, culture, and public transportation that London had offered.

Unfortunately, I've never stayed long enough in France to miss anything about Texas but my own bed, which leaves me in a position of envy regarding those of you who have lived in France long enough to actually start missing things like Tex-Mex "cuisine." I've spent the majority of my life studying the French culture and perfecting the French language from afar, yet my financial situation does not permit me to travel abroad but once every few years, and it certainly doesn't offer me the opportunity to live in and truly explore the culture I've based my career upon!

That said, if I did have a chance to live in France, I suppose the thing I'd miss most about America is Americans, or at least the ones I click with personally.

Other #356326 11/26/07 04:45 PM
BellaOnline Editor
OP Offline
BellaOnline Editor
I've SO changed my mind...I miss the sun, warm salutations from strangers, having a circle of friends and being close to family. It has been 2 and a half years now and I feel very disconnected from the life I once knew.

On the other hand, there is no comparison to Paris museums and the never-ending supply of mind blowing art that visits this city and resides here. If you haven't visited, you must!

Melissa Demiguel
French Culture Editor

"If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris...then wherever you go for the rest of your life it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast."
Ernest Hemingway
F
froggie0424
Unregistered
froggie0424
Unregistered
F
Sorry to hear you are missing your home life. I can relate. I lived in Japan for 4 years...

I will say, enjoy it while you can. You'll miss it if you ever do come back to the States!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  FrenchCultureMelissa 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.