logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
shpoo Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Well I do! I've been trying to limit them to just a few sites, where I know the forums are secure. Plus, my youngest son is only 5yrs old, so I was looking for a site that's easy as well as entertaining for long periods of time, if you know what I mean. This seems like a common yet trivial pursuit, so I thought I'd share what I found! Check it out...BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Sponsored Post Advertisement
Chipmunk
Chipmunk
My 7 year old wants on the computer all the time. I am a tad nervous letting him on. I sit right with him when he is on it though. He goes to PBSkids.org and a few sites his teacher has recommended to help him with his math skills. We had to sign a paper together on the first day of 2nd grade because they have a computer lab at his elelmentary school. One of the things you were signing that it was ok for your child to have an email account through the school. This is for communication with teachers and other students only at his school. It is still weird thinking my 7 year old has an email address lol

Jeanette Stingley - Women's Lit
http://womenslit.bellaonline.com
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I watch my kids on the computer too and it's in a public room of our home - no computers in bedrooms! We check the history daily to see where they've been online.

We also have certain times when the kids are online or playing educational games on the computer so as to limit it. Just like we limit TV. We allow plenty of time for reading books tho!

Stacy

M
Shark
Shark
M
I agree, Stacy. My kids have gaming systems, so computer has been limited to research for school work.

The big problem that I have encountered is a teacher being upset that my son's (One finger) typing talent wasn't fast enough!

They expect the kids to type at school, but they don't teach typing until high school. Of course a lot of very bad habits are set by then. It is not very enlightened.

This is a constant issue at our place, too. I homeschool, so we're home all the time. My kids are active on the computer - partly through school, but not always, and I have a home business that keeps me online a lot as well. My kids have computers in their rooms, but there's no computer with a shut door, and none after we go to bed. Our relationship is such that I can trust them in this, and we are always adjusting our way of handling it.

We don't watch any TV -just the odd movie - so this is the only screen issue we have.

Sigh.

Darlene

Click here if you are a tired, stressed-out mom

C
Shark
Shark
C
My children are grown--early twenties. We had one wild and crazy teenager and one sedate teenager. We kept the computer in the family room/kitchen area. No computers in their rooms/No TV in their rooms. They did have phones in their rooms.

The wild and crazy teen is now a responsible adult. She recently commented that, when she has children, they, too, will have no computers/no TVs in their rooms. ALSO, she says they will have no phones in their rooms. Interestingly, she says that, if she has several children, the boys will be in one big room and the girls in another big room. She thinks she had too much alone time due to having her own room growing up. She thinks kids would do better sharing bedrooms. She also would like a central, large play/hobby room so that the bedrooms are strictly for sleeping/dressing.

The matter of trusting kids is delicate. I ultimately decided that, as long as they gave me no reason to doubt them, I respected their privacy. As soon as the nutty stuff started, the trust was broken; and I got nosey. So, one kid got her room, book bag, purse, etc. thoroughly checked out (on the sly) rather routinely, and the other one didn't. I did, however, check the history for both kids on the computer--less often for the sedate kid than the wild and crazy one.

cela
B
Parakeet
Parakeet
B
I agree about no TVs in the bedrooms either. My 2 kids are pretty young but we watch TV shows together in the living room.

I remember my mom and I watching shows like Full House together when I was young and later we watched shows like Murder She Wrote. I never had a TV in my room and I enjoyed watching TV with my mom. We still like the same shows in fact.

I think it's our job to keep our kids safe too, cela, so if searching back packs, etc is what it takes then that's what we do.

M
M
There are quite a few sites that are kids safe, however a better option would probably be a kid safe browser as they've taken the necessary steps and research already. One I'd recommend is "Kid Rocket" and it's free, just google it.

Heres another freebie for parents with small children, I found a site that is giving away a free Internet Safety Comic Book. Go to;
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

Retired Police Officer
Computer Forensics Examiner
~~~Sites I Recommend~~~
www.McGruffsInternetSafety.com
www.NetSafeNow.com
S
S
I dont worry, I have 2 children, one boy and one girl (seperate fathers), all three parents are huge geeks and able to lock down the internest specific for the childs age, so we dont worry nearly as much as I know some do.

Meet like minded people sharing their success stories
and tips to help you lose the weight you want and get
the body you've always dreamed of. Just visit:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
Highest Posting Power Known to Humanity
I've been watching To catch a predator, on MSNBC news channel. you wouldn't believe how many on line predators there are out there of all ages and back grounds going after children, and posting nude pictures of them self, doing what ever. children are at risk.

Rosie L

Moderated by  Lisa - Moms, Traci - Moms 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.