Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#336655 08/28/07 09:07 PM
Crisfra Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Please post your comments, suggestions, or questions about the August jewelry-making project in this thread! smile

Sterling Silver Wire and Turquoise Bead Necklace Project

Chris Franchetti Michaels, BeadJewelry.net
Sponsored Post Advertisement
L
L
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

taking dreams and wrapping them in reality
ddd
Crisfra Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Nice addition of the beads to your long wire connectors! smile

Chris

L
L
thank you!
i wanted something light, sparkley, and using those beautiful beads, and that's what i came up with-i really enjoyed wearing it this summer
theresa

ddd
Does the silver stay stiff enough once you shape the long links. It seems that they would bend to easily if you were to pull on the necklace.

thesilvertwist
L
L
yes the silver stays stiff--i haven't had any problems wearing it and i made a similiar one for my sister in law who teaches school, and she wore it with no problems too--if the silver wire were a smaller gage it wouldn't work, but for me the 20G to 18G has really been the sizes i use most often--sometimes i hammer to harden like i did for this one-as well as to add texture--
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

ddd
Crisfra Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
Yes, you need to use a pretty large gauge (thickness) of wire, then you further harden it by tapping with a hammer.

Excellent question, though - the stiffness, or temper, of the metal is a very important factor in wire jewelry.

You can also begin with stiffer wire than "dead soft" - for example, "half hard" wire will be stiffer to begin with. The drawback is that it's harder to make loops than it is with softer wire.

L
L
yes, chris, the temper is important--i always use half-hard, never worked with dead soft, but i have some smaller gauge gold-filled wire that is full hard--use it for ear wires, as i don't like a large gauge for that--hope everyone had/have a happy holiday!!
theresa

ddd
Well, I usually like to work with dead soft sterling, but I harden it by running it in my gyrock (tumbler) with steel shot. This allows me to make my rings and such easier so I don't have to fight the harder wire.I suppose it you did not have a tumbler you would want a harder wire and/or to harden it with a rubber/rawhide mallet on your steel block.
Makes sense though with ear wires to user a half hard - not much bending is required with them.
Just my two cents worth.....
Becka

SoBohemian

Crisfra Offline OP
Parakeet
OP Offline
Parakeet
I often use the tumbling trick, too. It works great.

And I agree about the ear wires - I don't like to use large gauge for those either, so I did start purchasing 1/2 hard wire just for that purpose.

Moderated by  Susan - Jewelry Making 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.