Page 9 of 46 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 45 46
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Today's Wolf Teaching is by Chief Dan George:

The Wolf Ceremony - by Chief Dan George

The Wolf Ceremony

I wanted to give something of my past to my grandson. So I took him into the woods, to a quiet spot. Seated at my feet he listened as I told him of the powers that were given to each creature.

He moved not a muscle as I explained how the woods had always provided us with food, homes, comfort, and religion.

He was awed when I related to him how the wolf became our guardian, and when I told him that I would sing the sacred wolf song over him, he was overjoyed.

In my song, I appealed to the wolf to come and preside over us
while I would perform the wolf ceremony so that the bondage between my grandson and the wolf would be lifelong.

I sang.
In my voice was the hope that clings to every heartbeat.
I sang.
In my words were the powers I inherited from my forefathers.
I sang.
In my cupped hands lay a spruce seed-- the link to creation.
I sang.
In my eyes sparkled love.
I sang.
And the song floated on the sun's rays from tree to tree.

When I had ended, it was if the whole world listened with us
to hear the wolf's reply. We waited a long time but none came.
Again I sang, humbly but as invitingly as I could,
until my throat ached and my voice gave out.

All of a sudden I realized why no wolves had heard my sacred song. There were none left! My heart filled with tears. I could no longer give my grandson faith in the past, our past.
At last I could whisper to him: " It is finished!"

"Can I go home now?" He asked, checking his watch to see if he
would still be in time to catch his favorite program on TV.
I watched him disappear and wept in silence.

All is finished!

by Chief Dan George (chief of the Salish Band in Burrard Inlet, B.C.)

from: The Virtual Circle�s Aboriginal Elder�s Teachings, 2001

The Aboriginal Elders Teachings is part of the Virtual Circle Aboriginal Community......................
Virtual Circle Web site URL: www.vcircle.com

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Amoeba
Amoeba
ya ta say, my friends at the campfire,

That story from Chief Dan George is sad. I had posted it before, but it was good to read again. All of the stories and legends are good to read many times over for I feel we get a little something different from each reading. Thank you for both stories DawnEagle. A wolf is very close to my heart.

And I have a poem that is beautiful and sad, as well. It is called "Wolf Whispers" and I give it to you as a link:

BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I loved the link Kimikaya! Thank you so much for sharing!

Here is today's Wolf info, it's some totem info on the Wolf. Enjoy!

Wolf's Wisdom Includes:

* Facing the end of one's cycle with dignity and courage
* Death and rebirth
* Spirit teaching
* Guidance in dreams and meditations
* Instinct linked with intelligence
* Social and familial values
* Outwitting enemies
* Ability to pass unseen
* Steadfastness
* Skill in protection of self and family
* Taking advantage of change

Red Wolf - Critically Endangered Species
2 Other Endangered Wolf Species

Source:BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
V
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
BellaOnline Editor
Wolf
V
Is it true that "coyote" means "trickster" in Native American language?

Vance Rowe
Crime Editor
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Coyote is considered to be the Trickster, for he can "trick" us into learning a lesson by making us look at ourselves. He does this using humor. It is said that if we repeatedly do not learn a lesson, he will play a trick on us, to force us to learn. For instance, we may think we are angry at someone, but when Coyote finishes with us, we will realize that we are angry at ourselves, for we will be forced to look into the mirror, and find only ourself staring back. How others act is reflected in ourselves, and vice versa. When we learn the lesson, it will encourage others to do so.

Another aspect of this is that he makes us laugh at ourselves, thus proving that life and its lessons can be learned through humor, and don't have to be difficult at all. When we can laugh at how silly we have been, ignoring a lesson, then we have progressed. In other words, a great big DUH!

See the story "Coyote and the Another One" above as an example of this also. I'll post more on it later smile

Hope your Saturday is full of sunshine and laughter!

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
This site has some wonderful Coyote/Trickster tales:
BellaOnline ALERT: Raw URLs are not allowed in these forums for security reasons. Please use UBB code. If you don't know how to do UBB code just post here for help - we will help out!

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
One more story! Happy Saturday!

The Great Spirit Names the Animal People:
How Coyote Came by his Powers (Okanogan)

from Mourning Dove, Coyote Tales (1933).

The Great Spirit called all his people together from all over the earth. There was to be a change. He would give names to the people, and the Animal World was to rule. The naming was to begin at the break of day, each one having the right to choose his or her name according to who came first to the Spirit Chief's lodge. The Spirit Chief would also give each one their duty to perform in the changed conditions.

It was the night before the New World. Excitement was among the people. Each one desired a great name of note. All wished to be awake and first at the lodge of the Great Spirit Chief. Everyone wanted power to rule some tribe, some kingdom of the Animal World.

Coyote was of a degraded nature, a vulgar type of life. He was an imitator of everything that he saw or heard. When he asked a question, when he asked for information and it was given him, he would always say, "I knew that before! I did not have to be told." That was Coyote's way. He was hated by all the people for his ways. No one liked him. He boasted too much about his wisdom, about everything. Coyote went among the anxious people, bragging to everyone how early he was going to rise, how he would be the first one at the Spirit Chief's lodge. He bragged of the great name he would choose. He said, "I will have three big names to select from: there is Grizzly Bear, who will be ruler over all running, four-footed animals; Eagle, who will lead all the flying birds; Salmon, who will be chief over all the fish of every kind."

Coyote's twin brother, who took the name of Fox, said to him, "Do not be too sure. Maybe no one will be given his choice of names. Maybe you will have to retain your own name, Coyote. Because it is a degraded name, no one among the tribes will want to take it.

. . . . . . . .

Coyote went to his tepee in anger. He determined not to sleep that night. He would remain awake so as to be the first at the Spirit Chief's lodge for the name he wanted. . . . Coyote's wife (afterwards Mole), sat on her feet at the side of the doorway. She looked up at Coyote and said in a disappointed tone, "Have you no food for the children? They are starving! I can find no roots to dig."

"Eh-ha!" grunted Coyote sarcastically. He answered his wife, "I am no common person to be spoken to in that fashion by a mere woman. Do you know that I am going to be a great Chief at daybreak tomorrow? I shall be Grizzly Bear. I will devour my enemies with ease. I will take other men's wives. I will need you no longer. You are growing too old, too ugly to be the wife of a great warrior, of a big Chief as I will be."

. . . . . . . . .

Coyote ordered his wife to gather plenty of wood for the tepee fire where he would sit without sleep all night. Half of the night passed; Coyote grew sleepy. His eyes would close however hard he tried to keep them open. Then he thought what to do. He took two small sticks and braced his eyelids apart. He must not sleep! But before Coyote knew it, he was fast asleep. He was awakened by his wife, Mole, when she returned from the Spirit Chief's lodge, when the sun was high in the morning sky. . . .

Coyote jumped up from where he lay. He hurried to the lodge of the Chief Spirit. Nobody was there, and Coyote thought that he was first. . . . He went into the lodge and spoke, "I am going to be Grizzly Bear!"

The Chief answered, "Grizzly Bear was taken at daybreak!"

Coyote said, "Then I shall be called Eagle!"

The Chief answered Coyote, "Eagle has chosen his name. He flew away long ago."

Coyote then said, "I think that I will be called Salmon."

The Spirit Chief informed Coyote, "Salmon has also been taken. All the names have been used except your own: Coyote. No one wished to steal your name from you."

Poor Coyote's knees grew weak. He sank down by the fire in that great tepee. The heart of the Spirit Chief was touched when he saw the lowered head of Coyote, the mischief-maker. After a silence the Chief spoke, "You are Coyote! You are the hated among all the tribes, among all the people. I have chosen you from among all others to make you sleep, to go to the land of the dream visions. I make a purpose for you, a big work for you to do before another change comes to the people. You are to be father for all the tribes, for all the new kind of people who are to come. Because you are so hated, degraded and despised, you will be known as the Trick-person. You will have power to change yourself into anything, any object you wish when in danger or distress. There are man-eating monsters on the earth who are destroying the people. The tribes cannot increase and grow as I wish. These monsters must all be vanquished before the new people come. This is your work to do. I give you powers to kill these monsters. I have given your twin brother, Fox, power to help you, to restore you to life should you be killed. Your bones may be scattered; but if there is one hair left on your body, Fox can bring you back to life. Now go, despised Coyote! Begin the work laid out for your trail. Do good for the benefit of your people."

Thus, Coyote of the Animal People was sent about the earth to fight and destroy the people-devouring monsters, to prepare the land for the coming of the new people, the Indians. Coyote' eyes grew slant from the effects of the sticks with which he braced them open that night when waiting for the dawn of the name giving day. From this, the Indians have inherited their slightly slant eyes as descendants from Coyote.

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
Amoeba
Amoeba
Well, Dear Katja, do you see what you have started? (said with a great big smile on my face),this wonderful discussion of the wolf!!

DawnEagle, you have posted so many, many wonderful stories about the wolf. Some have brought tears to my eyes, some have had information that I knew not of, but ALL have been wonderful!! Thank you so much for the excellence of them ALL!

And now, to make all here aware:

In the past four years, more than 600 Alaskan wolves have been brutally slaughtered by gunners in aircraft. Now the Alaska Board of Game is gearing up for another season of aerial gunning. With your help, we can stop them!

Take action now to help save the wolves -- Sign our petition to urge the Bush Administration to put an end to aerial gunning in Alaska.

Easy targets against fallen snow, wolves are gunned down from airplanes or chased to exhaustion, then shot at point blank range. State-licensed marksmen can target entire packs -- even pregnant mothers!

Last year alone, nearly 100 wolves were slaughtered from the skies. Fortunately, the state fell way short of their goals. But this year could be worse. Anxious to make up for last year, hundreds more wolves could be targeted this season.

It�s not wolf management. It�s a wolf MASSACRE.

Please, please will you sign? Perhaps with our help and that of the Great Spirit, we will make a DIFFERENCE!

pila mita le mita cola (My Thanks My Friend)
wakan tanan kici un (May the Great Spirit Bless You)
nayeli, (I love you)
kimi kaya

Amoeba
Amoeba
I am sorry, the link for the petition did not show up in my last post.

Perhaps this will work:

https://secure2.convio.net/dow/site/Advo...3s4luda3.app20a

Yes, I have tried it. Just copy and paste it into your browers widow and it will take you to the petition. If there are any problems, please make me aware of them.

pila mita,
kimi kaya

D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
I thank you for your kind words, Kimikaya. Your posts are always most insightful, and appreciated as well. You're an angel!

Actually I think I mentioned I was going to post about the aerial gunning of wolves, and totally forgot, so I thank you again for posting that here for us. Good job!

I stopped by this evening to let Katja know that I have just come across a Native American Storytelling site that has a built in translator service (free!). Here's the link:

DawnEagle Summers
Native American Editor
Page 9 of 46 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 45 46

Moderated by  Sacred Tobacco Woman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.