logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NNellis Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,
I was wondering if people still harvest their produce and can or freeze it for later use?

I "put up" 21 pints of pickles the other day, and am now making crab apple butter and crab apple jelly for Christmas presents. And, bought some green beans so I could freeze them and eat them this winter.

Just wondering if others do this too?

Stop the Aging Process, Get Energized,
Stop Diabetes, Take Care of Yourself!
Listen to Dr. Keller's Audio Message.
www.deteraging.com
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Koala
Koala
We make pickles, whole dills and bread and butter slices; salsa; whole tomatoes for sauce; we also pick sand plums and cherries and make jellies.

We freeze black-eyed peas, okra, and corn. This year we had so much rain that our peas didn't do well at all so no peas this year. Good thing we have a few left from last year.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
J
Koala
Koala
J
I haven't tried canning but I do use my dehydrator a lot for veggies. If you boil corn for one minute, cut it off the cob and dry in a dehydrator, you have fresh tasting corn all winter long. You can fit dozens of ears of corn into a couple of quart bags.

Koala
Koala
We had a dehydrator and we used it a couple of times but I guess we are too impatient and want things now! I blanched the corn ears and cut the corn off the ear and froze it. It really didn't take that long.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Shark
Shark
I'm a big dehydrator fan! I've canned pickles, dehydrated almost everything else. I dry my tomato slices, put them in one-pint bags, and then pulverize when I'm ready to make sauces, ketchups, what-have-you. I stopped trusting freezers when we were hit with a hurricane, a few years back, and we lost everything because the power was out for almost two weeks. All the canned and dehydrated foods were just fine.

Sharlene Thomas
Career Training Editor, Bella Online
CreativeHandz
StariaMelodies
S
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
S
I am learning how to pressure can. I know how to cold pack. I also freeze items, but did not freeze anything in 2007 due to learning how to pressure can.
I love food from my garden. The work of canning is so worth it when you open that can in the middle of winter. You sure can't buy food from the store that tastes the same.

Sheri

Sheri Ann Richerson
Water Gardens

Moderated by  Lestie - ContainerGardens 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/17/24 03:33 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/16/24 07:04 PM
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:23 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/12/24 06:03 PM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.