Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
The siding guys did work all weekend and they started getting the siding on. We realized that the pipes and ect on the back side of the house will have to be painted so Sunday we went into town with a sample of the siding and they matched the color. We painted Monday and got all the pipes covered. I never realized how many things stuck out of the back of my house! I guess because they had to add the plumming and electric later on outside they put it on the backside of the house so that it wouldn't stick out as much.

We were done with that by noon and we decided to work on the garage. This is how I ended up hurting my knee last time. I can not get up on the roof or get up on the tall ladder so I was on the short ladder priming under the eaves. I made it almost all the way around the garage and had to quit. I laid around most of yesterday with ice on my knee. Of course I get up this morning and the other knee is hurting so I will be laying around more.

The siding guys are really getting somewhere now. They got one side (only the bottom story) done and it looks very impressive. The only bad thing is the screen doors will not go back on because with the insulation added it makes things a lot smaller. So I have no clue what they will be doing to fix that. Saturday we had bought a new screen door and so now we are not sure if we will even be able to use it.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.
~anonymous~
Sponsored Post Advertisement
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
I don't have any recent photos, it has really progressed since these.

[URL=BellaOnline ALERT: For anti-spam reasons, we restrict the number of URLs allowed in a given post. You have exceeded our maximum number of URLs.

Last edited by conniem; 09/06/07 08:56 AM.

~anonymous~
D
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
D
Hi Connie,
Sorry I've been MIA. Goodness gracious, I've gotta say...you have been one busy body! I would have thought your knee would have gone out back when you were staining the bedroom floor.

I'm glad that the siding guys seem to be reliable after all. It is worrisome when it starts out slow like that and you wonder if you are being taken for a ride.

The window trim looks great. It's good you are getting all this done now before winter hits. Or maybe you really don't get bad winters in OK?

So...you have sharks, huh. LOL I like watching fish in big tanks, but I have never had any bec they seem to die so easy. Do you have a self-cleaning aquarium or do you have to scrub it all down periodically?

How are the dogs adjusting to all this now?

Donna

Donna Coogan, C.I.D.

M
Koala
Koala
M
Love the picture of your grandbaby Connie!

The house pictures are great too. Its wonderful to look at before and after pictures.

Mavis
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
After 2 days of icing my knee did feel better but I painted the living room yesterday and that didn't agree with my knee a whole lot! But this am it feels ok. Today I am going to paint the stairway. I think I am about to run out of that pink-beige paint in the middle of that so I will have to buy more...this time only a gallon! I lack the kitchen and the mold room to have everything downstairs painted.

Me too...I am so glad the siding guys ended up being good at their job. Yesterday I was painting and had the windows open and could hear the one in charge fussing at the other guy. I figure they must pay good because I wouldn't want to work with someone who fussed at me a lot!

We do get bad winters in Oklahoma although last year was pretty mild for winter and wasn't very wet. One year we had below zero temps and we have wind here so you get a wind chill with that. My hubby works outside and winter is not his favorite time of year! We had waited quite a while for them to get to us and I was begining to wonder if we were going to get our house done! They finally covered the hole in the house so it is just a bad memory now and my dad is coming next weekend to help sheetrock (or actually I will probably be his flunkie).

I have had a lot of trouble keeping fish alive and lost a bunch of them at first. I think I finally quit buying delicate fish and also our city reported that we have excess nitrates in the water so that may have been a big factor in fish loss. I know they are still debating how to fix our water problem and I sure don't drink it! The paper put an article out saying that babies, ill people and elderly should drink bottled water. So I avoid our water except for showering. I do a pretty good sized water change weekly. It is a 55 gallon and I take out about 20 gallons if not more every week. I have a pretty heavy fish load in my tank and I really think it helps to change a lot of water. My angel fish started spawning (so they have to be happy with all that fresh water...my mom always tells me that I change too much water) after they got to the appropriate age and they did hatch some babies once but they got sucked up in the filter intake. There were about 35 of the little guys. They were about the size of the top of a pin head (straight pin for sewing). They have laid eggs since then but I haven't bothered to do anything with them because I have no clue what I would even do with so many fish! I don't have enough tanks anymore to keep up with all that! I scrub the walls every time I change water and I have moved the tank in front of a window so the algae is probably going to be horrible. That was the only spot that it would fit though and I needed to paint the living room. I was worried that it would be too much light but if anything they all seem to be perkier and their colors seem to be more brilliant. They tend to fade if they are upset.

Woody is still very upset by the guys. The hammering and drilling isn't near as bad as with the insulation installment or the windows but the guys are noisy and they blast their radio outside and so Woody has started spending some of his time upstairs in bed, the windows are shut up there so maybe it is quieter. They are working on the lower part of the house now and almost all the way around with the siding. There was a big package of siding on the ground by the side of the house and the dogs have to go by it to go outside. At first I had to physically go with him to go out because he was afraid of the box. Now he just jumps over it like a deer. Crazy dog! I tell my husband it is all that breeding...all beauty, no brains. But he is a very sweet dog! I have just tried to not leave the house without the dogs (they love the trip to get the mail every day). August, she is eating up all the attention. Every time she goes outside she goes looking for someone to pet on her. Daisy is not much of a stranger person so she has been pretty upset too but she pretty much goes everywhere with me. The big dogs are not allowed in the front yard without leashes as they run like maniacs away from us and I think they think it is a fun game. Usually I have to get the car out and drive around to where ever they are and then they think they are going to be left home and get in the car.

I hope all this painting and the house will be done before winter hits! I had been working on that room forever and I can't tell you how good it feels to look in there at the finished product! I had started working on it and then my grandaughter moved here so I babysat for her just about everyday and you can't get anything done with a little baby! I kept her for a little over 2 years. After I quit keeping her I got mono (that was last summer and it took forever to get over that) and then this year it was the knee. So I guess I am in a big hurry to get things done! I really want things to look nice as hopefully the grandaughter of the people that built the house might be coming at the last of the month for her 60th class reunion if her health is good. She has had a bout with cancer but seems to be doing a lot better after the chemo. She is very sweet and I talk to her often and we exchange letters. She has been gracious enough to send me photos of the house and her family. She must like me! Lol and I have asked her so many questions about the house. So I am really hoping that she will be able to come and we can meet in person!

~anonymous~
M
Koala
Koala
M
Oh Connie - you don't know what cold winters are! Come up north here for a winter and you'll appreciate how warm you get it there - LOL

My dogs were finally getting comfortable with having workers in our house and then they finished & left us. Hopefully its not too long before the flooring guys arive, so we don't have to go through too much time of upset again. Chester really doesn't care much, but Dakota had to bark every time one of them moved.

After hearing about how you look after your aquarium, I feel very bad about neglecting mine. I'll have to change some water after work today for sure. Years ago I had some Angels hatch too and they were so adorable. I removed the eggs and hatched them in a bowl because the parents were having a hard time defending the eggs from the other tank occupants. I found lots of people who wanted to take the babies.

It will be exciting to meet a decendant of the original owners of the house this year. Hope you have everything the way you want it by then.

Mavis
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Hey Mavis...we will have to compare temps this winter. Last winter was really nice but I doubt it will be again this year.

What size aquarium do you have? A long time ago I had a 100 gallon but I lived in Alabama then and moving that back to Texas was out of the question. I probably do overdo it on the water changing, but I think my fish load is too much. I am probably over populated. I am thinking of buying a new filter, maybe a canister one if it might help. There are so many different articles on them I just seem to get more confused! What kinds of fish do you keep?

~anonymous~
M
Koala
Koala
M
OK - compare temps then. You'll be sorry you complained! smile

I have a 60 gal tank, but only have about 6 fish in there right now. I can't even remember what they are because I got them on freecycle a few years ago. If you overdo it on the water changing, I certainly underdo it and am feeling guilty. I didn't get it done Friday, but have some time reserved to make a large water change today. This is an old tank and it has an undergravel filter, so it really should be done more often.

I think I'm going to put a reminder for yahoo to send me an e-mail every 2 weeks so I get doing it on a regular basis again. Then maybe I'll get a renewed interest in the aquarium and get more fish for it again.

I still haven't figured out how to paint the wall behind the aquarium. Even with a large waterchange, it is too heavy to even think about moving it.

Mavis
conniem Offline OP
Koala
OP Offline
Koala
Lol about the temps! Hubby says he doesn't know why I complain (when I do) because if it is bad I won't get out. Too many idiots are out driving in the ice and snow.

I had to drain my tank and move it to paint in my living room. Hubby says we can drain all but several inches and move it that way. It is on a stand and I kept trying to tell him water is heavy! I have a large plecostomus and I was worried about catching him. I had to use 2 large nets and I ended up putting him in a large mixing bowl and he barely fit sideways. Poor guy! As he was thrashing in the nets I thought, "what if I drop him". I would be afraid of getting slashed by him! But luckily everyone survived the moving. Maybe if you get some more fish that would renew your interest. Ours had been so boring as we were down to only 2 angels and I have a clown loach but he doesn't come out much and the angels are pretty boring. The barbs are very busy fish and if you walk over to the tank they all swim there as if to say "look at us...feed us". I think they are stomachs with fins lol.

This weekend we pretty much took it easy. It rained all weekend so there wasn't much else to do. I had really wanted to get some more painting done but it was too humid. I think I really did need a rest as I felt a lot better this morning and wasn't as stiff as I usually am getting up. Hey, I could also grip a knife to put mayo on hubby's sandwich.

The siding guys only came yesterday afternoon so they had the weekend off also. They ran out of siding Thursday and had to go get more. The rain had started on Friday. They are just about to get the lower portion of the house sided. They lack one spot meeting the place where they started. I think it is going to look very nice.

Yesterday we riped the sheetrock out of our basement stairwell and Rusty found a hanging scale/balance in the walls. It is about 6". When we started ripping sheetrock out we realized that it was pretty old. There were different patterns of wall paper on the other side and the sheetrock was pretty thick. We get close to being done and there were these extra 2x4s nailed to the studs and he starts to pull them out and I say "leave it there...it is there for a reason" and he says "the board doesn't even go to the top of the wall" so I rip it out and the guy that built the house had signed the board. So that was a pretty cool find too. Too bad he didn't date it. So I got the sharpie out and signed one of the walls...hubby says I am weird. I tell him, it took you all this time to realize that?!

Last edited by conniem; 09/10/07 07:21 AM.

~anonymous~
M
Koala
Koala
M
Draining & moving that tank is a HUGE job and I only do that when I'm actually setting it up in a new location. I should think about giving it a new location, and once its properly cleaned and set up again, I'll spend more time looking after it. Maybe I should consider moving it into the sunroom/diningroom area once the new flooring is in there. The birds will both be in there. That floor should be level and it would be better not being on carpet. I can't finish painting the livingroom until I can get some other furniture back into that area anyway. This would be the best time to move it since there aren't many fish in it. OK - time to start planning the layout.

I took the weekend off indoor projects since it was good weather here. I did some tree pruning and lawn fixing and weed pulling and some extra dog walking. I have to get something to finish fixing the diningroom ceiling so I can get that painted before the flooring guys show up. I just wish I knew when they were going to get working on that as well as the exterior painting.

I love finding old things like the builder's signature, in our old houses. I would have signed it too Connie! smile

Last edited by Mavis - Editor, Birds Site; 09/10/07 10:46 AM.

Mavis
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.