logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Gecko
Gecko
Hello, each sock pattern is a bit different and I'd need more information to help, but maybe this site will help in the meantime, Knitter's Review

Hope this helps, but if it doesn't just include more of the instructions and where you are exactly. Thanks.

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 01/13/09 12:04 AM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Knitting Guild of Santa Cruz
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Sponsored Post Advertisement
Gecko
Gecko
Great site. I'm going to bookmark that one but it doesn't seem to have what I need to help me (or I missed it)

Continue to work in stockinette st on 32 sts of instep until 30 rows have been completed, ending with a P row. SI these 32 sts onto a holder. SI 16 sts of each side of heel onto one dp needle so that outer edges of stocking are joined at center of heel. HEEL: With right side facing you, join Color C and work in stockinette st on 32 sts for 13 rows, ending with a K row. TURN HEEL: P 18, P 2 tog, P 1, turn; sM, K 5, si 1, K 1, psso, K 1, turn; si 1, P 6, P 2 tog, P 1, turn; si 1, K 7, si 1, K 1, psso, K 1, turn; si 1, P 8, P 2 tog, P 1, turn. Continue in this manner to work

I am at the point where it says Heel and to join with color C. Since its a differnet color to knit in how do I join this new color. What is the correct way to join or change a color. Do you just pick up a new color and start to knit.

I am making this stocking but not adding the image or the name. The image is too dorky for my taste. Maybe I'll embellish or add something in when complete.

Last edited by rdywenur; 01/14/09 03:31 AM.
Gecko
Gecko
It appears to me that there are more and better knitters in the UK and Euro. Why do you think that is. I'm thinking Irish knits, Scandinavian and remember my little sweaters (from photos) my mom made me with pretty snowflakes knitted in them. They always seem to be knitting such great things.

Gecko
Gecko
I can't really say, but it seems to me that in America we have a lot of knitters so maybe the "greats" are lost in the quantity? I look at Wendy's Knits and the Heirloom knits (such great lace work) and think it is now more global...

What does everyone else think?

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
"I will not let the non-knitters of the world decide how normal I am"~Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
BellaOnline Editor
Koala
Oh Marge, I do agree. We've got some real talent on this side of the pond. This past October, while visiting with my Mother-in-law (one of those real talents) we visited a yarn shop. The proprietors had some of their handiwork on display.

There was this one hat in particular. My Mother-in-law immediately inquired about the instructions, I was completely blown away with the intricant pattern. It appeared to be knitted in 5 or 7 panels. However, the shopkeeper assured us it was knitted in one piece. She had witnessed the work in progress.

The times have changed, and I think the pace of our daily lives is different from that in Europe. Here I am at 47, just learning the continental style of knitting. My Mother-in-law mastered this as a child. Her Mother was an immigrant from Europe. Part of my family has been here for over 200 years, the other part, much, much longer. My Mother is Native American. So culture may play a part in this as well.

Even though a "needle newbie" I'm thrilled so many are returning to "home-made", so these arts will not be lost. The States has great knitters, they just haven't been widely recognized for a long time. Hopefully, the times will change, again, and rectify this.

Jane Winkler, Editor
Native American Site
NativeAmericanForum
Avatar: Feather Dance Bustle - Men's Regalia
E
E
I have arthritis i my rt. shoulder so have done little knitting in the past year but the recent cold snap encouraged me to get the very thick lightweight multicoloured wool and v. lightweight thick needles to make a hat -- think of an inverted T shape where the crossbar runs round the face, the stem iis the body of the hat, shaped by decreasings to curve into the crown, knitted in garter stitch to emphasize the colour changes and grafted to make it reversible!
graft/gather in centre
-------- ---- ------ ------
---------- ----- ----------decreases
-------------------------- I
-------------------------- I - 4 - 6 inches for head
--------------------------------------2 - 3 inches for strap
--------------------------------------2 rows finer needles
-----------cast on---------------------
If fine needles are difficult, you can crochet round the face to make it fit firmly, and continue around the rest for decoration/finish!
Face up to the cold! Ednamay

E
E
PS I worked with my forearm and elbow propped on a soft cushion!!!! Ednamay

The diagram should have been centred - computers are dimwits!!!

Gecko
Gecko
Yes, normally, you would just start knitting with the new color and then weave in the end later. Do you have Vogue Knitting-Ultimate knitting book or Knitting in Plain English they have great explanations and pictures. This is described really well here (treat the new color like a new ball of yarn) Joining a Color and here Stripes also.

As I develop the BellaOnline Site I hope to have my own tutorials and way more pictures, but for now I will keep finding quality links for you.

Good luck

Last edited by Marge_Knitting; 01/20/09 06:39 PM.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
R
R
I am knitting baby sweaters for gifts. I know of 7 babies on the way! One needs to go to the Azores. I just love making baby stuff. So far, I have 2 sweaters done, half of a blanket, and after that ready to start another sweater. Whew!

Gecko
Gecko
How fun for you...my favorite thing about baby sweaters is you can try new things with them since they are small.

Marge Colletta
Marge's Random Life
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Make It Sew Easier
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/27/24 04:34 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/27/24 01:31 PM
Planner Template Kit - Weekly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:39 PM
Planner Template Kit - Yearly Layout Template
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:37 PM
How to Use Digital Planner Template Kit
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:36 PM
Review - 20 Illustrator Color tips Helen Bradley
by Digital Art and Animation - 03/26/24 07:32 PM
March Equinox to June Solstice
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/26/24 12:27 PM
Hobotrader unleashes never seen opportunity with i
by Jamal molla - 03/26/24 11:55 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/25/24 09:05 AM
Genealogy, Sort of
by Angie - 03/24/24 05:39 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.