logo
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#330477 07/23/07 10:24 AM
Shark
OP Offline
Shark
Ronette's latest article, "Etiquette Talk with Gia al Qamar," has some interesting points on etiquette & why it's important for dancers to conduct themselves well.

I bellydance & teach mini lessons at a local Renaissance Faire & it's funny to see how different people react. I get little kids as young as 2 coming up and swaying with me. I also get some older folks who aren't used to moving their bodies at all, let alone moving it in a new way. It really is wonderful to bring this artform to those that have been curious about it.

I also notice those that look at me / us strangely for moving the way we do. I don't always dance with a bare belly. I sometimes keep covered & don't always wear jingles. For me, it's about the movement & the drum beat. Yet, there seem to be those that have the specific vision of the "belly dancing" showgirl / stripper as their thought of what a belly dancer is / should be.

It is up to us to give bellydance a good name, whatever form of the dance we do.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
I am so delighted to know that you read and enjoyed the interview that Rhani did with me on Bella.
I feel very strongly that we each have an obligation to uphold the standards of this dance, both in form and in it's purity as a dance with a rich ethnic history.
The 'looks' that you got while performing are precisely the reason that I loathe dancers who sexualize this wonderful dance, rather than sharing it's beautiful, powerful, emotional and sensual nature.
Raq on ladies and thank you, in advance, for your welcome!
Gia

I Dream of Gia * Belly Dance by Gia al Qamar
www.IDreamOfGia.com

Moderated by  rhani 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
MyHeritage & OldNews
by Angie - 03/16/24 09:15 AM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 03/16/24 08:27 AM
Denmark's Oscar Entry "The Promised Land"
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/15/24 08:51 PM
Stunning jewelry by Devon Leigh
by sarae - 03/15/24 12:58 PM
From Candlemas to March Equinox
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:35 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 03/14/24 07:12 PM
A Lenten Reflection
by Angie - 03/13/24 09:24 PM
Stitching by Hand
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 03/13/24 04:21 PM
Lucy Lawless Directs New Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 03/12/24 05:47 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 03/10/24 03:09 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.