Print Thread
#329378 07/17/07 04:41 PM
M
Ms A Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
M
I could have been knocked over with a feather the other week, when a friend started a local homeschool group (while I was gone for a few weeks) for secular homeschoolers. Her religion (particular form of Christianity -- but she never judged others, thankfully!) was very important to her, she viewed it as beautiful, etc. She said that one day, she just suddenly realized, the bible is fiction! Then she saw how the usual arguments the xians use are circular -- using the bible to support the bible...

We live in an area of the country where, especially as homeschoolers, the fundies are the dominant force (though gradually that has been changing.) I was just relieved that the change in view occurred because of her thinking about things, rather than some crisis. (She's had a number of them in her life, so I was worried about her health.)

Her son still believes -- she didn't feel like she could just take it away from him, tell him, okay, everything I've taught you these last 13 years is wrong! -- but I figure if he has an environment where he can question and think, he will be fine.

The biggest downside she has found is that former friends from her church are snubbing her, lying about her, cheating her -- and feel they should be absolved because they confessed. No restitution made, just confessed. Sigh.

Sponsored Post Advertisement
O
Shark
Shark
O
Wow. It takes a great deal of courage for her to stand up to the fundamentalist community like that and admit that she no longer believes. It's too bad some of her Christian friends have to be so nasty and petty about it. Surely there are others who will remain loyal to her, hopefully. After all, there are some truly good Christians out there.

M
Ms A Offline OP
Gecko
OP Offline
Gecko
M
Yeah, there are some nice folks -- but apparently, some from her old church aren't so nice. The homeschool community has some nice people both secular and religious, though, who are still friends. And certainly, while she believed, she was one of those good ones!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Brand New Posts
Astro Women - Birthdays
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:37 PM
2024 - on this day in the past ...
by Mona - Astronomy - 04/24/24 03:33 PM
Check Out My New Website Selective Focus
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/24/24 01:47 PM
Psalm for the day
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:45 PM
Inspiration Quote
by Angie - 04/23/24 04:43 PM
Sew a Garden Flag
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/17/24 01:24 PM
Review - Notion for Pattern Designers: Plan, Organ
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:35 AM
Review - Create a Portfolio with Adobe Indesign
by Digital Art and Animation - 04/17/24 12:32 AM
Useful Sewing Tips
by Cheryl - Sewing Editor - 04/10/24 04:55 PM
"Leave Me Alone" New Greta Garbo Documentary
by Angela - Drama Movies - 04/09/24 07:07 PM
Sponsor
Safety
We take forum safety very seriously here at BellaOnline. Please be sure to read through our Forum Guidelines. Let us know if you have any questions or comments!
Privacy
This forum uses cookies to ensure smooth navigation from page to page of a thread. If you choose to register and provide your email, that email is solely used to get your password to you and updates on any topics you choose to watch. Nothing else. Ask with any questions!

| About BellaOnline | Privacy Policy | Advertising | Become an Editor |
Website copyright © 2022 Minerva WebWorks LLC. All rights reserved.